It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boats Of Wood Men Of Iron

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 02:50 AM
link   
In a boat built of wood from the mountains of Maine.

With a keel of Pasture Oak Neptune himself couldn’t strain.

After a full days steam to the Nor’east Peak.

Eleven men will fish an eight day week.

Catching Scallops in both foul weather and fair they’ll toil the decks with twenty footers everywhere.

Shucking those clams while standing at the box the drags are hauled back stuffed full with rocks.

The Captain climbs down and says with a sigh, “Let’s finish up boys it’s time to fly”.

They step in close to hear what he’ll say, “It’s a Storm we have force twelve on the way”.

With all secure it’s time that they turn the great grey sea’s soon to boil and churn.

So go ahead storm give it your best they’re full ahead now bearing due West.

Plunging and plowing long into the night the Storm may lose this crews giving fight.

As the heavens above are being torn apart we find the crew to a man praying from the heart.

With first light come waves running forty plus feet so no rest’s to be had if the storm’s to be beat.

This grand old boat shudders struggles to rise as mountains of water try to claim one more prize.

With windows blown in water cascading inside this crew just won’t quit they keep bucking the tide.

After jumping the shoals then rounding the corner where they see, the hurricane barrier is not far off their lee.

And like a sparkling young maiden worriedly singing her tales from across that fetch the lighthouse horn wails.

Finally tied to the dock eleven weary men rest.

Iron strong men, New Bedford’s best!

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: pics

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: PiratesCut

Thank you very much, I really enjoyed that!

My favorite line: "This grand old boat shudders struggles to rise.."

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: DreadKnock

Thanks!
That’s me leaning out the Wheelhouse window in the first picture.
To stand there and watch the bows twist as she buries her stem into a solid wall of water gives you shivers, the same ones her timbers feel.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Wooden Ships and Rusty Crusty Iron Men.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Shiver me timbers matey!

A pleasant read indeed.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I enjoyed it immensely. You fine sir, are making my list to be put on the water again increase 10 fold.

Anyone you know still running boats, I can cook, don't get sea sick, fast learner and know how and when to shut up and do what I'm told. Let em know theres an old green horn looking for adventure.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:36 AM
link   

That was a nice read. I'm glad you posted it up for us all to enjoy.

This sparked a memory in me when you wrote; "And like a sparkling young maiden worriedly singing her tales from across that fetch the lighthouse horn wails."

looking forward to reading more,
Johnny

new topics

top topics

join