It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking and Covid

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

Yes, I also had no smells and tastes.

I had that in the spring. Like you, the sense of smell is not fully back.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2

Yes, I also had no smells and tastes.

I had that in the spring. Like you, the sense of smell is not fully back.

Cheers

II love perfume, not European, which is based on alcohols, but Asian based on oils. This perfume is more viscous, voluminous and has a stronger scent. But now I can hardly smell this perfume, very faintly. Therefore, I'm afraid to use too much perfume, it's bad taste)))
edit on 11-10-2021 by RussianTroll because: correct

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: scratcher
I do remember seeing signs in the old days where smoking was considered good for your health, maybe 100 years ago. You would not get sick from viruses if you smoked , viruses like clean respiratory systems ,so employers and advertisers promoted this.

Bring in the pharmaceutical companies that claimed they had a medicine which could cure the common cold, and ward off any viruses that came your way (snake oil anyone?) ,at a price !! Then the battle began between big pharma and tobacco companies .

A tale of two uncles: I had an uncle (a farmer) who smoked (self rolled cigs) everyday since he was 14 then died (not from cancer) at 91. His younger brother never smoked and was a microbiologist in a hospital lab. Due to one specific chemical (can’t recall name of it), he died at age 68 - cancer (no family history of cancer).

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Interesting.

I recall early on (March or April 2020) there was a study from China about smokers and COVID. The study showed only 17% of middle aged men who smoked got COVID, compared to male non-smokers their age. It was controversial; the Chinese promised further study on the matter but we haven’t heard anything else since.

I’m not gonna rely on a single study, but…. My wife and I are both smokers. I’m certain we both caught COVID back in March or April last year. Compared to what I’ve heard from others, our bout of COVID was pretty mild: brain fog that lasted a month, low energy, a sense that nothing mattered, loss of appetite, a mild fever that lasted two days. And that’s pretty much it.

edit on 11-10-2021 by Thoughtcrime because: Clarity

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: scratcher

Now that you mention it…
I remember when I worked downtown in an office building; many years ago I noticed that us smokers (relegated to the loading dock in a nasty, smelly alley as a ‘designated smoking area’) never seemed to get colds, but the non-smokers seemed to get a cold every winter. I figured it was because we were ‘exercising’ our lungs more, or getting more fresh air —even with the smoke we were inhaling. I think really it was just because we were exposed to more germs.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Thoughtcrime

This is because all over the world there is a fight not against smoking, but against smokers (((

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: RussianTroll
a reply to: Thoughtcrime

This is because all over the world there is a fight not against smoking, but against smokers (((

RT, excuse me if I bother you with a bit of lore from the American army.

Years ago, when a pause in work was announced to the soldiers, the sergeants would call out:

"Smoke 'em if you got 'em!" (meaning, it is time for a pause and you can smoke a cigarette if so desired)

Every soldier, in his rations, got a few cigarettes. Now, I did not smoke cigarettes (I enjoyed an occasional cigar, being the terrible capitalist that I am
), but the cigarettes were valuable as an item to trade with other soldiers.

Our rations included a chocolate-covered cookie we nicknamed "the John Wayne". And so, with my cigarettes, I would trade for John Wayne chocolate bars, or, a canned food we called "green eggs and ham". (I liked to eat the eggs as a breakfast item; we called them "green" because the process used to preserve them in the can gave them a bit of a grey color
)

This thread gave me an idea for you. I think a lot of people on ATS are curious about ordinary life in Russia. Perhaps you could start a thread in which people could ask you questions about daily life in Russia. I bet it would be a popular thread.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2
Great idea, thanks.
I will definitely find a free day to fully devote it to this topic. Great, I owe you)))

When I was in the army, it was the Soviet army. I was an officer and I was not entitled to a ration of cigarettes. I bought them myself. And the soldiers received cigarettes, they were in a soft pack without a filter. I remember when I was at university I was presented with a block of American soldier's cigarettes - Camel without a filter in a soft pack. They were great cigarettes))))

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 11:01 AM
link   
There is evidence that states "Nicotine is able to suppress the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines", but of course, "Smoking bad! Quit smoking!".

ATS Thread LINK

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
There is evidence that states "Nicotine is able to suppress the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines", but of course, "Smoking bad! Quit smoking!".

ATS Thread LINK

As the great American writer Mark Twain once said: "There is nothing easier than quitting smoking. I myself have quit 100 times")))))))

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Hmmm! As Dwight said on the Office: “Today, smoking is going to save lives”. 😂

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 12:11 PM
link   

“This is because all over the world there is a fight not against smoking, but against smokers”.

Too true. I have to wonder, as American society continues to crack down on and demonizes cigarette smoking and smokers, why is there such a big push to legalize marijuana?

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

I have read that too just as I have read that asthmatics on bronchodilators have different experiences with it because of the constant steroid exposure in the lungs. I fit that second category.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I flew to Saratov, took part as a speaker at the annual All-Russian anti-corruption forum, taking place online, and wrote my next article in the federal media.

Not exactly relevant, but I'm curious nonetheless...

Why did you have to fly somewhere in order to take part in something online?

edit on 10/11/21 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thoughtcrime

“This is because all over the world there is a fight not against smoking, but against smokers”.

Too true. I have to wonder, as American society continues to crack down on and demonizes cigarette smoking and smokers, why is there such a big push to legalize marijuana?

In Russia, marijuana is not related to smoking. She's criminalized. If more than 4 grams are found - a prison term of more than 10 years.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles

I flew to Saratov, took part as a speaker at the annual All-Russian anti-corruption forum, taking place online, and wrote my next article in the federal media.

Not exactly relevant, but I'm curious nonetheless...

Why did you have to fly somewhere in order to take part in something online?

Because I live in Saratov. Russia is a very big country. When, especially in the context of pandemic restrictions, an All-Russian event takes place, it is logical that each participant will participate online via the Internet. Moreover, high-quality Internet is very cheap in Russia. (I have a tariff - no limite Internet 4 G 100 Mbps plus 1300 minutes of telephone communication throughout Russia costs $ 3 per month). It is much easier to participate in All-Russian events from home than it is for all participants to come to Moscow and participate in person.
This is digitalization))))
I flew to Moscow to visit my daughter and grandson, they live there. I came to my organization to personally agree on the text of my report.
edit on 11-10-2021 by RussianTroll because: Add

edit on 11-10-2021 by RussianTroll because: correct

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Ok so you flew back home. That makes more sense. I thought you meant you flew somewhere else, just to take part in it.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Ooof! Four grams?! For us unenlightened Americans still using the British Imperial system of measurement, I believe one gram is about the size/weight of a single M&M. Ten years in “the Dolphin” where you live, RT, and here WE are, trying like mad to get our government to legalize it. I’m not in favor of legalizing it, but many here are. The world she’s crazy.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thoughtcrime

Ooof! Four grams?! For us unenlightened Americans still using the British Imperial system of measurement, I believe one gram is about the size/weight of a single M&M. Ten years in “the Dolphin” where you live, RT, and here WE are, trying like mad to get our government to legalize it. I’m not in favor of legalizing it, but many here are. The world she’s crazy.

Probably 4 grams is more than one cigarette. In Russia, there is a difference, for personal consumption or for sale. Probably 4 grams is personal consumption. Anything more is for sale. While I may be wrong, I am far from that topic.
This only applies to herbs. Pressed substance comes to Russia from Afghanistan for drug trafficking. On it, I think, there are other parameters, much smaller.
edit on 11-10-2021 by RussianTroll because: Add

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 02:21 PM
link   
smokers generally are less influenced than non-smokers by prevailing trends and 'healthy living' fads. we know it isn't 'good' for us per se, but (if like me one never quit and has no intention of so doing) we really don't care. at least i don't. if it also helps fend off the dread 'covid' then that's an unexpected plus. the minuses don't concern me. really people shouldn't be harangued and harrassed for habits they have that (may) only negatively affect themselves. modern society is way too focussed on telling other people how to eat, drink, think etc. this trend has been amplified many thousandfolds by the covid farce.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join