It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With great risk, you may not end up with a cent in your retirement fund.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I couldn’t find the finance forum, mods please re-accomodate my op if there is another spot for it.

Here is a supposed finance guru, suggesting superannuation funds should pump billions into bitcoin, as a new investment scam...ahem scheme.

A company that you invest in, must have physical assets, so should the company go under at least when the company is wound up you may get something back.

Like people say Uber is worth 50 billion, though they have minimal assets, it’s a pie in the sky figure.

What if any guarantees does crypto offer to protect investors losing it all.

Something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

www.theage.com.au... l#comments

edit on 11-10-2021 by robsmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: robsmith
Yes, history is full of financial "bubbles" that went "pop" and left thousands destitute. In seventeenth-century Holland, it was tulips.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Very true, remember the internet bubble of the mid to late nineties. History repeats.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: robsmith

I have 6 bitcoins on my old computer from over 15 years ago, and I cannot access them. It's likely I'll never be able to, due to the wallet they are in.

That said, it reminds me that physical holdings will always have value, while bitcoin will always remain a strain of 0's and 1's.

The physical precious metals I've stocked won't disappear if the power goes out.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 03:17 AM
link   
well I'm retired and it would be nice to find partners that are in the construction trades

I held a C-33 license in the States, but not a general contractors license.

When the corona virus is over this is my plan, want to join
trulyroaming.com...

As a cyclist and motorcyclist ( no longer on the motor bike ) , I 'm thinking about buying these houses and setting up for cyclist and motorcyclist to crash out while touring. Its big and still lots of opportunity here. Also maybe a great way to get a Japanese visa ?

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

This seems to be a common issue, losing access to the wallet, or worse like that lad in the uk.

www.google.com.au...

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

That’s so cool, you could set up like a chain of guest houses, and arrange cycle tours by your staff, and have package tours to different places through japan by eithe cycle or motorcycle groups.

Perhaps to tourist places all over japan. That would be a cool little venture, the local prefecture council would probably love it, helping with local employment for house staff, cooks of chefs.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 05:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: robsmith
A company that you invest in, must have physical assets, so should the company go under at least when the company is wound up you may get something back.

Primary creditors get first access to the proceeds of a liquidation, common stock shareholders do not. Also, without looking at the balance sheets for companies you claim have no physical assets you have no way of knowing if they haven't acquired other companies or investments.

Your example of Uber shows they have a valuation of 90Billion with assets of 32billion including 7billion in cash.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I'm just learning the difference in stock classes, but yup class a vs class b stocks, well if you hold the b, just sit back and let the a's do their thing or get out.

If you have tips, I'm open

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 05:49 AM
link   

I guess of depends on which country, and the bankruptcy law applicable.

What I find questionable about the gig economy, is whether these companies take into account for example the Uber drivers car is worth x amount of dollars. Considering Uber did not pay for that car as the driver is an independent contractor, and financed the car. Do they take this as a company asset?

Ive always been curious.

Though, most of their asset base is probably in servers, routers, maybe some property, intellectual property, patents.

In reality mostly intangibles.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
If you have tips, I'm open

I suggest speaking to a professional. My uncle helps with mine, he's a former M&A SVP at IBJ and then ran a hedge fund with his partner. When he speaks on investments, I listen.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Do they take this as a company asset?

No, they do not.

Though, most of their asset base is probably in servers, routers, maybe some property, intellectual property, patents.

In reality mostly intangibles.

Servers, routers are property intangible? They have 32billion in assets, they have substantial assets.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 06:03 AM
link   
when you are having these discussions,
one would be wise to remember that even
the dollar that you are using
tp buy physical assets
was magically created out of thin air.

In fact your government artificially created $4 trillion of em last year on a whim.
They did not even print the dollars on paper or stamp it out of metal.
It was all created out of zeros and ones on a computer somewhere.

Just like Bitcoin did.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 06:08 AM
link   

I’d be curious on the source of your info so I could educate myself. Any help?

Though it’s funny they gave up
On Uber air, aircraft are way too expensive to maintain, service, staff, fuel, insurance, compliance etc. Glad that venture failed.

It was a stupid pipe dream.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 06:11 AM
link   

I’d be curious on the source of your info so I could educate myself. Any help?

All their financial information is public as they are a listed company.

On Uber air, aircraft are way too expensive to maintain, service, staff, fuel, insurance, compliance etc. Glad that venture failed.

There are two companies working on this now, within a couple of decades it will be an option.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Though how can they compete with a $6.00 train far that might take 25 minutes to
Get me home.

Where a flight might cost 300.00 to travel the same distance.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Though how can they compete with a $6.00 train far that might take 25 minutes to
Get me home.

Trains really aren't that much of a thing here in the US outside of a few urban areas - NYC, Chicago, LA, SF, Miami. They also aren't $6 nor do they get you to your front door. Ride share aircraft aren't going to initially target the $6 spender as their audience.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 06:27 AM
link   

That’s so cool, you could set up like a chain of guest houses, and arrange cycle tours by your staff, and have package tours to different places through japan by eithe cycle or motorcycle groups.

Perhaps to tourist places all over japan. That would be a cool little venture, the local prefecture council would probably love it, helping with local employment for house staff, cooks of chefs.

Hokkaido is prime location for motorcyclist.
If you read the article about these houses, its for real. Abandon houses make a great deal for artist also and other craftsmen.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Disclaimers apply. I am not a legal or licensed financial advisor. Your experience may be different than what is described below- either better or worse. YMMV.

Beware about if/when you withdrawal 401K monies... Especially when you withdraw early...

- Any promised matching on the dollar - company dollars - are NOT available if you withdraw early. All those matching dollars are lost.

- You pay taxes on any monies you withdraw early. I believe that they take out said taxes before you get the money.... (it's been a while).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a similar note: If you are entitled to a pension, it's generally agreed that it's better to take out a regular smaller amount Now, than wait for a bigger amount, say, five, or ten years from now... In general, it works out mathematically to your advantage to start collecting early.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Japan is a Stirling place, I respect the culture it’s so ingrained.

I have to share this guy Martin video, this older gentleman is amazing, I respect his ability and skill. Something you don’t see much of these days.

m.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join