It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Southwest cancels 1000 flights We all know why

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

This really should not be a political issue. There are worker shortages everywhere. It’s unfortunate, but I don’t think people have any business flying with an evolving virus and worker shortages. Just drive already. I have a friend who was stranded in Nashville. Southwest cancelled her flight to Milwaukee, and there are no flights available to Milwaukee on Monday either. She was able to get a ride from a friend who drove. I wouldn’t assume I could fly anywhere. People need to have a backup plan. I go with driving every time. That way you are not at the mercy of anyone else. Also, just get the damn vaccine. Those of you who won’t are making worse for everyone else. Just selfish.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 05:26 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Air traffic control issues!!!!!! Ha, we all know what that means. People are leaving because of vaccination status.
This is all so dumb. If people want to get vaccinated, let them, if they don’t, let them.

Why is the status only impacting Southwest and not the three majors?

My belief, since it happened to me, is the other carriers were better handling the situation, like mine. They knew on Tuesday my flight wasn't going to happen.

They gave me the opportunity to change it. These people being left in airports with the next flight being days away is horrible. And if the airlines knew there was going to be disruption and didn't say anything, that's borderline criminal in my mind.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD
a reply to: JAGStorm

This really should not be a political issue. There are worker shortages everywhere. It’s unfortunate, but I don’t think people have any business flying with an evolving virus and worker shortages. Just drive already. I have a friend who was stranded in Nashville. Southwest cancelled her flight to Milwaukee, and there are no flights available to Milwaukee on Monday either. She was able to get a ride from a friend who drove. I wouldn’t assume I could fly anywhere. People need to have a backup plan. I go with driving every time. That way you are not at the mercy of anyone else. Also, just get the damn vaccine. Those of you who won’t are making worse for everyone else. Just selfish.

I've been in this situation several times in my life.

#1 unless you run right over to the car rental area ASAP, the cars are typically gone immediately. I think that's why they string you along... delayed 30 mins... then delayed 2 hours... then cancelled. They probably knew the flight was going to be cancelled at the first delay.

#2 just like cars, the hotels sell out fast. So if you don't get lucky and get a car, you're also SOL on getting a room anywhere. I mean unless you want to pony up major $$ for an uber and just keep driving until you find something.

Usually in these situations I just sleep in the airport but that sucks too. The restaurants all close so you better have some sort of plan if you didn't eat all day. In addition, I don't check bags, I can't imagine having all of my "stuff" in checked bagagge somewhere that I can't get to.

I always travel with one of those jumbo bags of beef jerky and a water bottle I can refill in case this happens.
edit on 10-10-2021 by litterbaux because: added more content

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 05:51 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Just like the government saying that the National Guard would take over all hospital shortages, I'm sure the Guard will handle all flights and air traffic issues as well.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-cough, covid-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Just like the government saying that the National Guard would take over all hospital shortages, I'm sure the Guard will handle all flights and air traffic issues as well.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-cough, covid-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Not enough NG personnel to fill all empty jobs 😃😃

(post by ChiefD removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: litterbaux
My belief, since it happened to me, is the other carriers were better handling the situation, like mine.

Which is what I'm getting at, this sounds like technical/scheduling issues and not a protest.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 06:07 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

Passengers took to Twitter to speculate over the vaccine lawsuit after rivals axed far fewer flights; American Airlines cancelled 63 flights Sunday, while United cancelled nine trips. 

‘At least admit it was due to selfish pilots.’

Should we hold down these selfish pilots and force their inoculation?

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 06:08 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 06:11 PM
link   

My belief, since it happened to me, is the other carriers were better handling the situation, like mine.

Which is what I'm getting at, this sounds like technical/scheduling issues and not a protest.

I know everyone here likes to speculate their own flavor of projection. Most likely, it's a mixture of things. I know from personal experience of the years, things happen. This isn't anything new to any frequent flyer.

The part that is new, is the 3 day advanced warning for me. I don't really know how to come to any conclusion over why or how they knew the flight wasn't going to happen. I thank them for letting me know as I'm sitting comfortably at home instead of stuck in an airport somewhere.

The most likely theory is what was stated, the air traffic controllers were short staffed. That would be something they would know a few days in advance. Weather? Not so much. I mean we are getting really good at predicting weather, I mean almost shockingly good but I can't see that being a reason to cancel a flight 3 days in advance.

So the question is, why, 3 days in advance, the air traffic controller situation changed?

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

But what happens when somebody else screams about gas burning !!! 🧟‍♀️

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 06:15 PM
link   

The part that is new, is the 3 day advanced warning for me. I don't really know how to come to any conclusion over why or how they knew the flight wasn't going to happen.

Who is 'they'?

I've had United cancel a flight on me a two days out a couple times. Once was weather, the other appeared to be undersold but the communication was the aircraft was unavailable.

edit on 10-10-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 06:20 PM
link   

The part that is new, is the 3 day advanced warning for me. I don't really know how to come to any conclusion over why or how they knew the flight wasn't going to happen.

Who is 'they'?

I've had United cancel a flight on me a two days out a couple times. Once was weather, the other appeared to be undersold but the communication was the aircraft was unavailable.

In my last situation, it was also United. Maybe this is common, it has just never happened to me before. If UA is handling these situations the correct way, like what we are both talking about, maybe UA will be my preferred carrier moving forward.

I agree with your initial query though, why would ATC shortage only affect Southwest? It didn't, the other carriers just used countermeasures to not screw over their customers.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
a reply to: ChiefD

Also, just get the damn vaccine. Those of you who won’t are making worse for everyone else. Just selfish.

Those that are mindlessly obedient always think that they are virtuous. They are not... they are merely modest slaves to opinion.

What about those who are mindfully obedient? Although the term socially courteous might be more appropriate. Being a rebel on principle certainly isn't virtue or wisdom.

edit on 10-10-2021 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

The whether is clear everywhere 😃

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I agree with your initial query though, why would ATC shortage only affect Southwest? It didn't, the other carriers just used countermeasures to not screw over their customers.

If there is an ATC shortage at an airport or region it would impact everyone. Whenever I'm flying home and there's an ATC hold at Newark it affects all flights, not just mine.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join