It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tokyo rocks with a 5.9 earthquake Thursday night 10-7-21

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Well, its happening like many of you here have been predicting. A string of earthquakes does seem to be appearing along the "ring of fire " and because of the volcanic activity its most likely that these earthquakes are a result of it.
From this morning news, all I seen was water pipes broken and flooding in the streets. The railroad system there may have been shut down, not sure if its in operation this morning though. Lots of shaking. I haven't seen any structural damage yet.

An earthquake of 5.9 magnitude struck Japan's northwestern Chiba Prefecture, which lies east of the capital Tokyo, on Thursday evening, according to the USGS.

Japan Meteorological Agency first registered the magnitude as 6.1, with an initial depth of 80 kilometers (50 miles). The earthquake has since been updated to a 5.9 magnitude with a depth of 62 kilometers (38.5 miles), according to the USGS.

Japan's public broadcaster NHK reported several minor injuries in the Chiba Prefecture.

No abnormalities have been detected at nuclear facilities following the earthquake, Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirokazu Matsuno said during an emergency press conference. One is located in the nearby Ibaraki Prefecture.

Not affected by this quake where we live, but hope these quakes don't start moving south. I also think if we start seeing quakes in Hokkaido, we may start seeing Mt. Fujii trembling in the future. It did explode back in December of 1707, so anything is possible it seems like these days.

Mostly I'm worried about the nuclear power plants along the ocean. I wish the govt. would just close them down. We are seeing a lot of new solar panels being put up around the country though.

www.abc57.com...
edit on 1000000022552021-10-07T17:55:22-05:00552210pm5 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Good you're all OK. Sending my prayers.

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kocag
Good you're all OK. Sending my prayers.

The morning news will be covering the quake more in detail so I might have an update later in the day. Not sure of any injuries at the moment, but this happened in Chiba where Disney Land is located also.

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

It looks like earthquakes around that size are pretty common there.

That shows I think 119 earthquakes over 5.5 since 2015. The orange dot is the latest.

I know here in Alaska a 5.9 would merit about 30 seconds of news time, so damage would be negligible.

If I'm not mistaken, earthquakes around the "Ring of Fire" have been fewer than normal for the last few years.

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Thanks for posting that. Some of Chiba around Disney Land is a land fill. So could be a lot of damage there. More news will be available online today.

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Some videos .

edit on 1000000043242021-10-07T18:24:43-05:00244310pm6 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 07:02 PM
link   

It certainly has to do with construction materials, techniques, and the land it's built on. Old stick-frame buildings and homes seem to hold up really well.

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Respect to Japan, despite political allegiances with the US, they know how to build against earthquakes, all too well

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 08:42 PM
link   

we have had a few i have felt in Manila recently. definitely more, and felt stronger than in the previous few years. and mostly in the middle of the night it seems.

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: generik

we have had a few i have felt in Manila recently. definitely more, and felt stronger than in the previous few years. and mostly in the middle of the night it seems.

You guys got some active volcanos there also, right ?

posted on Oct, 8 2021 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: generik

mostly in the middle of the night it seems.

But of course! Sleeping in the nude, although very healthy, might not be a good idea for a bit!!

Best regards/hope/prayers/wishes for the safety of all!

new topics

top topics

join