It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France Threatening To Cut Power Supplies To UK

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Bet All those Trump Haters Wish he was Still President Now when they FREEZE their Asses Off this Winter for Lack of Power ...............SUCKERS !

What on earth has this got to do with the USA and Trump?

The world does not revolve around the US.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

It sounds like the Frenchies are still pissed about the deal for their antiquated subs falling through.

The Frogs are pissed off because they've been trying to beat us for roughly a thousand years now and barring one notable exception - in 1066, but they were in reality Vikings - they've failed miserably.
Added to that is the national humiliation they feel about the UK bailing them out of not one but two World Wars.

They are a strange breed; individually they are fine, just ordinary people like you or I. Together? They have a smug arrogance and believe all things French are far superior to anything else.

An example of the difference in national psyche; During WWII when Hitler invaded France they were overran quite quickly. They surrendered giving the excuse that they didn't want to see their beautiful capital city ruined.

The UK endured The Battle of Britain and The Blitz and turned down Hitler's offers of peace.
The 'we'll fight them on the beaches' attitude and natural resilience saw us through.

Sure, some French fought the Nazi invasion. The Resistance were incredibly brave but numbers wise they were very much a small percentage of the population.
And those that found safe haven in the UK for some bizarre reason resented us for it.

They don't like us and try to get one over on us at every opportunity, it rarely works.

Maybe they can make it up by selling the Australians some horse-drawn Citroens.

Ha ha.
I wouldn't wish that on our cousins down under....now the Quebecois, that's entirely different, perhaps we could even throw in some steam driven Renault 4 CV's?

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

All you need to know is the majority of the French don't like the French. They're like the Cleveland of Europe.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I totally agree with Freeborn. The French actually hate the British, just go on holiday there and experience it for yourselves.
This could be the lead to to push the building of reactors at Hinkley Point in Devon. You know the game "oh, we want more power and the only way is more reactors in Britain".
Oh, and it's a silly aside that they are being built by France and China.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The French are making fools of themselves and acting in an immature and unfriendly fashion. They just have not got over Btexit, and that's a fact, and Aukus has clearly shown far from the top league they are. Their threats and bad behaviour are one-way. The UK is being trolled by children.

The threat is to the Channel Islands who have a dependency on French energy. I expect that dependency will be reduced now the French are showing themselves to be unreliable "friends". The UK has an open energy market, so electricity is bought at the cheapest price. There is flex in the National Grid to stop using French electricity if the interconnects were turned off.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 06:01 PM
link   

biden signed an EO reversing Trumps EO which prevented using electrical grid components made in China. Trumps EO was a pre-emptive move to combat Chinese interference with the function or stability of the US electrical grid. I don't care who you are, you have to know that you simply do not give the enemy access to critical infrastructure at any level of operation.

By the numbers, the debt owed to the public is 70% of all US debt and 30% is owned by foreign governments. However, of the debt owned by the public a large portion is social security, other retirement funds, and medicare. This is different from loans taken and raised debt limits to avoid government shutdowns. Social security has no part in figuring national deficit. Yes it is money owed, but it is not part of the deficit since it is payed by trust funds.

Social security accounts for half of US intragovernmental debt. When you take that 50% out of the equation, since it should never have been there to begin with, you see that the largest portion of US debt, standing at 30%, is owned by foreign governments. Of those China has the second largest amount after Japan.

Any other questions? BTW this is all available with proper use of any internet search engine. Throwing out questions you hope the other guy cant answer is no way to win an argument.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

The French probably have a just-in-time energy sector like everyone else. Along with the rise of fossil fuel prices will need all their generating capacity for themselves over the coming winter.

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
biden signed an EO reversing Trumps EO which prevented using electrical grid components made in China. Trumps EO was a pre-emptive move to combat Chinese interference with the function or stability of the US electrical grid. I don't care who you are, you have to know that you simply do not give the enemy access to critical infrastructure at any level of operation.

So you're saying we still produce almost all of our electricity with domestic energy. Maybe you should rephrase your comment since the above isn't what energy independence means, you even confused Burdman who thought it was about coal, A.K.A. 'energy'.

Social security accounts for half of US intragovernmental debt. When you take that 50% out of the equation, since it should never have been there to begin with, you see that the largest portion of US debt, standing at 30%, is owned by foreign governments. Of those China has the second largest amount after Japan.

So you're saying China isn't even the largest foreign owner of our debt, let alone holding 'half our debt'. Thanks for confirming my correction.

edit on 7-10-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 02:23 PM
link   

When your energy independence can be leveraged by foreign interests, how independent is it? Whether we make it or not falls by the wayside if China can flip a switch and turn it off any time they want.

Nice nitpicking. China is the second largest holder of US debt and holds nearly half. Japan holds a little more than China and the two of them together hold very nearly all of it.

Sorry if my generic statement about selling out to China didn't meet the criteria of your cherry picking pseudo-facts. The meaning of my post was clear to everyone except those few with an agenda to maintain. Now deflect away.

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 02:31 PM
link   

When your energy independence can be leveraged by foreign interests, how independent is it?

It isn't being leveraged, we are not outsourcing any more energy production needs than before, as a matter of fact the importation requirements have steadily dropped every year. This is the exact opposite of being energy dependent.

Nice nitpicking. China is the second largest holder of US debt and holds nearly half.

You need to work on your math skills:

China gets a lot of attention for holding a big chunk of the U.S. government's debt and for good reason, given its rapidly expanding economy. China takes the second spot among foreign holders of U.S. debt with $1.07 trillion in Treasury holdings in April 2020, just behind Japan.2 China has trimmed its holdings and this is the lowest amount held in the last two years. It currently holds 15.5% of the foreign debt.2020 Data

Maybe you can explain how 15% is half in your world of awesome math.

posted on Oct, 8 2021 @ 07:40 AM
link   

It isn't being leveraged now. But with dependence on Chinese equipment it can be whenever they feel like it. China should not be any part of the critical path of our power grid. Period. If you believe otherwise, you are part of the problem.

Just over 50% of our debt is social security, other retirement funds and medicare. Since they are payed by trusts they do not count as part of the deficit. Of the remaining deficit over 30% is held by foreign interests, with China holding 15.5% as you indicated.

Is 15 not half of 30 in your precious little world?

And lets face the truth here. If I said they held half and it was actually 49.9% you would still be here bitching that I was wrong. FFS no one cares about this few percent nitpicking when a person makes a non-specific claim about a condition rather than the precise amounts. The fact is China holds a large portion of our debt. Whether its 15.5 or 16 or 13 percent is meaningless unless all you want to do is nitpick and be a pita. Which we all know you are. The leveraging comes into play when China says it wants to get payed and we don't have the money. So all the wonderful shiny new Chinese power transformers we just installed in our grid suddenly turn off and wont turn back on until the bill is paid. You know, the same way the power company handles people who don't pay their electric bill.

Are you going to demand things be broken down to such infantile levels for you every single time? You have been doing this for years and its really getting old. Congratulations on derailing yet another thread with nitpicking about general statements while ignoring the meat of the conversation. Well done.

posted on Oct, 8 2021 @ 07:48 AM
link   

It isn't being leveraged now.

Thank you for confirming that we are not dependent on China for energy production used for electrical generation.

Is 15 not half of 30 in your precious little world?

The link I gave you breaks down the ownership of debt by foreign nations, China has 15% of that, not 50% as you claimed. That isn't 50% of the foreign debt either, it's still 15%. Learn to do math.

At some point your hubris may permit you to admit you were incorrect on both points.

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 01:42 AM
link   

And you need to work on your reading comprehension. I have already seen the breakdowns. Roughly 30% is foreign owned debt. China holds roughly 15%. 15% is half of 30%. China holds roughly half our foreign owned debt. Of course I didn't include social security, but I should have known you would be here whining that I didn't explain it in great enough detail.

My original statement that China owned half our debt was never meant to be taken as 50.00000%. It was only meant as a general statement that China already has some control over this nations actions and we don't need to give them more by giving them access to critical path components in our power grid. It was not meant to be nitpicked over the quantitative precision of the statement. Only you, desperate for anything you can find to whine about, would bother to differentiate a niggling few percent just because you like the attention. You didn't prove anything. You didn't win anything. You haven't advanced the topic in any way. All typical of you.

Let me edit my first statement just for you: we owe China a lot of money. We owe Japan just a little more, but Japan is generally nice to us so its not a big deal. biden decided it was a good idea to put Chinese components in our critical infrastructure path, mainly our power grid. That gives China the ability to interfere with, or stop, the flow of power in this country. They haven't done it yet but that doesn't mean they won't. Many people consider that act selling out our best interests to an enemy. It puts us in a compromised position for no good reason. China benefits from this arrangement, the US does not.

Japan and China hold nearly all our foreign owned debt. Japan has a little more than China this year. Last year they didn't. Do you want to go back a year and argue that percentage too? I will wait until you get changed and refill your sippy cup...

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: nolabel

Bloody’ell mate. Stop. Take a deep breath and chill. The sky isn’t falling in. The French are talking out of their butts as usual. They always have to blame someone else for their woes. The ‘old adversary’ are up to their old tricks. Blame the English (not The British by the way).
Since Brexit, and by definition the end of the EU as a global force, the French have seen their ambition as a global power diminished. They’re just lashing out with the usual flamboyant fanfare.
The AUKUS deal has really upset them too.
This little tantrum is due to the fishing rights to U.K. waters. Only the French boats with historical and certified proof of license can now fish in the U.K. territorial waters. All the other pirates who fished illegally (the EU turning a blind eye as usual) are now barred.
Some of the French politicians are over-reaching and playing to their audience. There’s the elections next year and Micron needs all the nationalism fervour he can get… Bless!
They won’t cut of energy supplies, they can’t afford it and It’s illegal.

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 08:05 AM
link   

And you need to work on your reading comprehension. I have already seen the breakdowns. Roughly 30% is foreign owned debt. China holds roughly 15%. 15% is half of 30%. China holds roughly half our foreign owned debt.

Holy crap dude, you're bad at math.

15% of a number, any number, is 15%. Further, your additionally mathematically flawed comment that combined Japan and China own 'nearly all our foreign debt' is also INCORRECT. They don't even own half combined.

The rest of your long winded and extraneous post was you playing mental gymnastics trying to explain your poor math.

posted on Oct, 12 2021 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoannaGuru
Theres a video doing the rounds of an 'African' migrant in Ireland laughing about white Irish quickly being replaced... So is England, Scotland, Wales, France, etc, etc. The west is being burned down. The replacement population is from the worst, not the best... to accelerate the downfall of the worlds white middle class. "The great reset". Then will come; "build back better".

If "the worst" think they are going to survive once their usefulness is finished, they are to be sorely mistaken.

Well the UK has imported hundreds of afghans that's to the US's failed war.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join