It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France Threatening To Cut Power Supplies To UK

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

War is peace, mandates are freedom, control is liberty.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

At the most basic, the member's comment isn't inaccurate. The USA (well, one particular political party in the USA) moved to intentionally destroy coal fire electricity production within this country while encouraging coal mined from the USA to be sold to China in massive quantities which, not coincidentally, was a transaction that allowed China to purchase it for pennies to the dollar compared to what it would sell for domestically if coal fire generators were still a primary producer in this country AND ensuring the US consumers have to pay ridiculously higher electricity costs every month.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
At the most basic, the member's comment isn't inaccurate. The USA (well, one particular political party in the USA) moved to intentionally destroy coal fire electricity production within this country while encouraging coal mined from the USA to be sold to China in massive quantities which, not coincidentally, was a transaction that allowed China to purchase it for pennies to the dollar compared to what it would sell for domestically if coal fire generators were still a primary producer in this country AND ensuring the US consumers have to pay ridiculously higher electricity costs every month.

We supply almost all of our own energy needs for electrical generation with minimal natural gas importation, his statement is patently false.

edit on 5-10-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

originally posted by: nolabel
France on Tuesday repeated its threat to cut the UK off from energy supplies.

A UK government document in July said that 47% of the country's electricity imports were from France.

This just shows what a sh!tshower the UK is in.
If nearly half of the power to the country comes from a foreign nation that nation supplying the power has a the recipients by the short and curlies.

Does this mean 47% of just the imports or 47% of all the power the UK uses? That could be a big difference. I hope the UK produces most of what they need and can tell the French to take a hike.

The later - the UK has imports around 10% of its electricity. The new Norway line powers slightly more homes than the total import ammount so around double what France supplies - though UK windfarms feed Norway when hydro is low and vice versa on the new lines.

The ammount were importing is rapidly rising though due to failure to replace nuclear plants in time for old ones going offline.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: nolabel

If nearly half of the power to the country comes from a foreign nation that nation supplying the power has a the recipients by the short and curlies.

Viva le Brexit! I guess. Oh wait.

Fresh tensions surfaced last week between Britain and France over post-Brexit fishing rights.

France was infuriated last week by the relatively small number of licences granted to smaller vessels, when Sea Minister Annick Girardin spoke of French fishing being "taken hostage" for political ends.

The UK said it would consider further evidence to support remaining bids for fishing rights.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

It's a fart in a hurricane. 1400 MW is 1000 MW less than one of the local power plants here that runs off of coal. That's for a metro area with around 9 other plants including two nuclear sites that are over 2kMW each. The rest are between 1k-2k each.

Nice gesture but not going to solve this problem.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
Lmfao, you poor brits

😒

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

After they've culled us all, they will start using our massive coal reserves again...

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 07:17 PM
link   

www.statista.com...

No, it is not "patently false" and I never said anything about importing fuel. It costs more per generated unit to produce electricity using natural gas than using coal. The costs are normalizing, but over the past 20 years the US consumers have taken it in the shorts in the conversion to natural gas as the primary source at the loss of coal fired generation.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
No, it is not "patently false" and I never said anything about importing fuel.

His comment was about energy independence and the thread is about electrical generation. We did not 'sell our energy independence to China' as our electrical generation needs are met almost entirely by resources produced domestically year round. We import natural gas only during peak season however we are a net exporter on the whole.

edit on 5-10-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Can you still buy coal in Britain for a home coal range.?

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Coal is available for domestic use, of course.

I was just saying that our mines were closed down and many many people were laid off...

The coal hasn't gone anywhere.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 07:48 PM
link   

France Threatening To Cut Power Supplies To UK

I fart in your general direction .

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Looks like they will be adding more of these in the future.

orsted.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

How did we sell our energy independence to China?

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 06:54 AM
link   
UK/France relations are not looking great right now-and its not just the energy thing.

Recent revelations seem to point to a France/EU vaccine heist-5 million Astra Zeneca doses pinched from britain,at the time when the EU vax rollout was a mess,and at the time the EU was dissing the AZ vaccine(because its British no doubt,and the EU are determined to make the UK hurt after we left their little federal superstate project).

France has been accused of ‘stealing’ 5 million vaccine doses bound for the UK earlier this year.
The incident is said to have occurred amid the EU’s faltering vaccine rollout and at a time when countries including France were questioning the safety of the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab.
But it appears that the huge batch of Oxford vaccines from the Netherlands and due to arrive in the UK was diverted at the last minute and never arrived.

metro.co.uk...

That incident,it is claimed-cost lives and Boris was really pissed so the story goes..

Then we have the fishing licence debacle-the french fishermen are threatening a Christmas blockade of the port of Calais-

French fishing industry representatives have threatened to block the port of Calais and stop exports to the UK in the run-up to Christmas, in the escalating dispute over fishing rights.
French fishermen say they feel deceived by the UK Government for failing to grant them enough post-Brexit fishing licences to access British waters.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

Those 2 news items,plus the threat of cutting off our french supplied power make it seem as though Macron(and likley the rst of the EU controlers)are attempting to wage a sort of economic cold war against the UK and it doesn't take a clairvoyant to see the reason-We left their system of control and are now a self governing soveriegn nation.

The very idea of that has the EU commie overlords knickers in a twist and they are attempting to make the UK feel pain.
To me at least,that exposes the lie they told us for decades about the EU being our friend..

If your "friend" treats you like sh1t and tries to make you suffer becasue you have chosen a differnt path-were they ever really your friend?
I would say no.

BTW,I love France an the people I know from France-But your government sucks(just like my own).

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
UK/France relations are not looking great right now-and its not just the energy thing.

It sounds like the Frenchies are still pissed about the deal for their antiquated subs falling through. Maybe they can make it up by selling the Australians some horse-drawn Citroens.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Its understandable that the French are pissed about the US/UK/AUS deal-they lose big time there.
Its not understandable that Biden had no idea about the France/Aus submarine deal which he scuppered(John Kerry recently said Biden had literally no idea).

But it is understadable that the Aussies should have the best submarine tech availible due to the huge threat China poses.

I get why the french are pissed-but realisticly what use are a bunch of antiquated diesel subs in this day and age?

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
I get why the french are pissed-but realisticly what use are a bunch of antiquated diesel subs in this day and age?

I don't get why they are pissed because what use are a bunch of antiquated subs as you pointed out? Next thing you know they'll try to pawn off their crappy 'aircraft carrier' on someone.

The French should stick to what they're good at: making wine and cheese and having their women grow unwanted body hair.

edit on 6-10-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Cooking spirits since 2007

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: nolabel
France on Tuesday repeated its threat to cut the UK off from energy supplies.

A UK government document in July said that 47% of the country's electricity imports were from France.

France Screwing The UK

This is part of Thatchers legacy of selling off the family silver.

We were once a proud nation who led the world in the industrial revolution. We gave the world so much.

I am ashamed to admit I am British.
I'm still proud to call myself a scouser though

I hope they follow through.
Then the brits can figure the damage and make repairs so this doesn't happen again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join