It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if The whole internet really crashes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I think yesterday we got a little glimpse of how addicted society is to social media and the internet.
The news was mostly about Facebook but from what I’ve read many other sites were down.
My bank was down for a while, and I heard of other things that were down that are rarely down.

This has me wondering, is this just the beginning? I lived and remember a time without daily use of the internet and computers.
I know I can survive without them, but the question is how bad would that be? Have we come too far and become too reliant on it? I think for many people it would be absolutely devastating.

Just think about how almost every facet of our lives is somehow “connected”. The clock I use everyday is connected, my watch, my bank, my shopping, how I talk to my kids, how I plan my days, weeks, trips, etc. Even my washing machine and dryer are connected.
If by chance the big ol’ plug is disconnected I shudder to think of what will happen to society. (Yes I know, it’s not just a plug, I’m talking high level, like the government does something, electrical storms, etc, let’s not focus on the how) Can you imagine the younger crowd that has never known life without it? I think it would be very difficult for them.

For those of you that live in a cave and just pop into ATS please don’t, just don’t. The reality is the bulk of people are hyper connected these days.
edit on 5-10-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

It will certainly effect many with jobs that require network connectivity. Especially with all the remote workers and students that came from DA Covid

It will also highly impact the lives of those that have medical devices that require online communications or are bound to beds.

Lots of tesla batteries will be scattered around the country in streets.

The social media and the online entertainment will be the easiest for people to overcome along with other conveniences such as banking.

needless to say for some it will highly impact them but for most social media binge drinkers they will be fine and will adjust.

edit on 331031America/ChicagoTue, 05 Oct 2021 09:33:22 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Really, its time to have cash stashed away and things to barter with in the very near future. I learned this at the fishing docks here.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I would suffer at work of course, we would have to go back to paper. We would rely on faxes instead of emails. I don't know if our new fax machine would even work, it might require the internet to function for all I know. I would be on the phone even more than I am now.... would the phones work... not here, we have VOIP. Changes would definitely have to be made.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:18 AM
link   

You've said it. We are too addicted to let that happen.
I can see only two ways to such a dreadful day.
1.an individual will lose access based on his NWO social credit score or by being poor AF
2.A disease or vaccine wipes out so many people that the rest will have no clue how this stuff actually worked

BTW: Tuberculosis kills more than 1 million people annually worldwide? That's wild
edit on 5/10/2021 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Really, its time to have cash stashed away and things to barter with in the very near future. I learned this at the fishing docks here.

Not sure about cash, because other countries have show us that it can become very worthless quick. I do agree that you need high value items to barter!

Gold/weapons/alcohol/ believe it or not birth control. That was a high value item in Venezuela

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Thing is the internet is robust.

It's not dependent upon a single machine or cable.

But a network made up of other computer networks that span the globe.

Its beginnings(ARPANET) where all about communication redundancy.

So taking the entire thing down would be rather the task.

There is no big red off switch after all.
edit on 5-10-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:22 AM
link   
After a week or so of ringing our hands and shouting, “Oh sh!t were all going to die”. Life would soon return to normal, perhaps better the normal. The normal of the early 1980’s. I remember the 80’s fondly, a peaceful time, listing to music or poetry. Very little hate in my part of the world. Occasionally watching the news with Walter Cronkite, if something interesting was happening.

All in all, perhaps it’s time to turn the pressure cooker off.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Banking could be an issue. So many banks want electronic delivery of documents and practically coerce people into using the internet instead of 'bothering' the teller. Saves money on staff, we're supposed to understand!

And with my bank located a long way from where I live now, that will be a problem.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:24 AM
link   
If only it did......

Goodbye Social credit scores.
Goodbye government surveillance.
Goodbye keyboard warriors.
Goodbye GPS tracking.
Goodbye digital passport.
Goodbye- oh well you get the idea.

Who cares just go back to walking into a bank.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: CthruU

Goodbye information age in which we exist.

Cant go back CthruU, only forward.

Else civilisation stagnates and dies on the vine.

edit on 5-10-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Download Wikipedia to your phone, its not that big but there you have most information on the world in one spot.

Until you cant charge your phone

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:27 AM
link   

How are they going to know how much you have?
Everyone would start from scratch?

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

And with my bank located a long way from where I live now, that will be a problem.

Big banks bought smaller banks, and with automation and everything being done electronically, many branch banks (ie, the ones near your home that were handy to use) were closed.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Exactly how do you replace that infrastructure overnight without anarchy ensuring?

Coz that's one hell of a large paper magic wand that would need to be waved.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Banking, life, industry, business will be hit hard, but people would adjust.

Us older folks actually remember there was a time before the internet.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Goodbye information age in which we exist.

Cant go back CthruU, only forward.

Else civilisation stagnates and dies on the vine.

Information age used to be called a library.

That's not what nuclear war would imply 06.

Hmm? No comment for fear of retribution.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: CthruU
If only it did......

Goodbye Social credit scores.
Goodbye government surveillance.
Goodbye keyboard warriors.
Goodbye GPS tracking.
Goodbye digital passport.
Goodbye- oh well you get the idea.

not so fast, those nano particle jabs work like a mesh network and are stand alone. No internet required.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

How are they going to know how much you have?
Everyone would start from scratch?

Good point if your (generally speaking) not the kind to keep last transaction end of day screenshots.

I thought most people would do such an important exercise such as this incase.....I know i always have.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I frequented a few when i was a lad myself CthruU.

Not that many left around now.

Libraries that is.

As to "No comment for fear of retribution." i dont understand?

No comment from who?

If a full scale nuclear war takes place CthruU we are not coming back from that for at least 10,000 years.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join