It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook hit with massive DDoS attack

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I also think Bing was involved in this behind the scenes.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
I also think Bing was involved in this behind the scenes.

Bing is owned by Microsoft.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TrollMagnet

To give my predictable opinion about this.. it's exactly like Superman IV.

Superman taking care of the 'nuclear threat' by throwing all the physical nuclear bombs into the sun.

Simplistic thinking, that by trying to eliminate the symptoms you somehow heal the sickness. There's no sickness in the whole world that has ever been healed by simply treating the symptoms. You have to heal the CORE sickness, or preferably, have a holistic approach and heal the WHOLE.

Denying service of fascistic corporations by attacking their servers does what, exactly? I mean, in the long run. Does it destroy the illness? Does it mean those corporations won't be evil anymore? Does it mean governments stop being tyrannical, or that TPTB learns some kind of lesson?

Releasing animals from the cruelty industry's prison camps, only makes sure the owners of those camps allocate more resources to security, and soon those places will be completely impossible to break into, and business continues as usual - except that now there's an angry backlash against those 'freedom fighters' that tried to free the animals.

This kind of short-sighted thinking of only dealing with the 'visible surface problem' in a surface level, only leads to evil becoming stronger, and a backlash against the ones trying to bring more freedom into the world. It will only ensure more draconian measures and now a JUSTIFIED tyranny; if they don't do SOMETHING, this kind of 'terrorism' will continue, so we have to be more tyrannical to ensure it won't happen again..

It's a lot like clueless, ignorant and stupid dog owners that only start trying to do something when or after they see the dog bark, try to run and bite other animals or people. It's too late, now the dog is in red zone. Where was this dog owner and the attempt to control the situation, when the dog was at level 1? Level 2? 3,4,5,6 or 7? This might all be SILENT, so the owner doesn't even see what's going on. A dog can warn you completely silently, with one, quick stare or glance. A certain way the dog moves its eyebrows is a warning, but people ignore that, because it's not LOUD, and there's no biting or barking (yet).

Ignoring the warning will eventually -become- a bark. Barking and biting is not the problem, it's the -outcome- of the problem.

Hm, for some reasons, all my posts seem to eventually become Dog Whisperer / Cesar 911 Dog Psychology lessons. Sorry about that.

In any case, it all has to do with everything - people are so ignorant and clueless when the actual problem is happening, and when they finally do something, it's never addressing the actual problem, but just the symptoms, and it's too late at that point.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Signals
It’s not just FB, it’s a ton of sites. I’m surprised ATS is still up.

This is only the beginning.

What other sites are down?

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:34 AM
link   
What it is like is . . . .

People are working from home.
Router config changes were scheduled for 10AM.
At 9:30, someone working from home, logged in remotely and uploaded the new configs.
Which immediately took the router down and he/she could no longer access the network . . .
because he/she was working from home.
Then they got in the car and drove to work.
At the same time, everyone else on "the team" jumped into their cars to head into work.
(You know this happened because we found out that FB employees could not access the building because their cards would not work.)
Time passed while they figured out how to access the building.
Then the most experienced guy on the team loaded the configs.
And then they waited for it to propagate across the internet.

That is what it is really like.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: sraven
What it is like is . . . .

People are working from home.
Router config changes were scheduled for 10AM.
At 9:30, someone working from home, logged in remotely and uploaded the new configs.
Which immediately took the router down and he/she could no longer access the network . . .
because he/she was working from home.
Then they got in the car and drove to work.
At the same time, everyone else on "the team" jumped into their cars to head into work.
(You know this happened because we found out that FB employees could not access the building because their cards would not work.)
Time passed while they figured out how to access the building.
Then the most experienced guy on the team loaded the configs.
And then they waited for it to propagate across the internet.

That is what it is really like.

As an IT guy, I promise you it does not work like that.

The amount of steps you would need to go through to roll out GLOBAL changes at Facebook would most likely be considerably harder than sitting down with Zuck himself.

Not only is the ability to rollout changes on a global scale severely limited, but these large corporations have test environments they roll those changes out to first. These places with the money run virtual environments that mirror their physical environments for testing purposes. Changes are normally rolled out there to test compatibility before being rolled out to the public. That's where companies test new features, and let employees play with offline copies of their sites to see if they can break before going live with the changes.

Also, those setting are most likely only accessible remotely from a few select places or people. The access can be tied to either one. Those people do not make rookie screw ups like this. Thats why Facebook finds the best. If this was a mistake, someone big at FB will be fired this week and you should be able to see who screwed up. I dont think anyone will be fired because I do not think an employee screwed up. I think they are lying, and I am 100% sure a whole bunch of other people who have been in IT for enough years to understand corporate infrastructure think the exact same thing.

They cant be both evil super geniuses, and complete morons that crash all their sites by mistake at the exact same time. You have to pick one. With FB, assume the worst.
edit on 5-10-2021 by TrollMagnet because: typos

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 10:29 AM
link   

If this was a mistake, someone big at FB will be fired this week and you should be able to see who screwed up.

I saw it reported yesterday that they did fire one of their top employees.
I will look and see if I can find it.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Good. Too bad it wasn't permanent!

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   

It seems there is a very large DDoS attack on FB right now.

Well atleast we know the DDos attacks didn't impact the Langley area traffic, since ATS was not impacted.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

Hmm.. Thanks for posting that! The previously mentioned twitter hack had some rather strange explanations for its cause as well.

They were able to literally take control of every blue checkmark on twitter, and they used that power to... funnel a bit of money to themselves? I guess on the surface that makes sense, but..

Just as interesting is that a linked article on that site is this, which of course, I absolutely love.

I like the idea of a distributed API that essentially offers an individual gateway that enables everything from messaging to uploading video, on a backbone of mesh networks using existing devices. Basically, we would log in to one "master internet account" that would have all the functionality of these websites like facebook, twitter, and youtube already baked in. Then, what is shared through this account would be accessed through things like browser plugins, webapps, etc.

Still technically a central point, but it is at the individual level in the overall system. Critically, I believe it would need to retain some form of anonymity as well as ease of use in creating secondary or tertiary accounts. In other words, to maintain integrity, it absolutely must not be solely tied to the individual, "real life" identity of a person. Tying it to a persons identity could enable some interesting things, but it also introduces a layer of susceptibility that is unacceptable in current paradigms (imo of course).

Sites like facebook are obsolete as anything other than control mechanisms.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Faceoff: Combating fake news on Facebook

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 02:07 PM
link   

sorry guys,

I thought it was the light cord I tripped over.

other than it being used as a photo storage area Facebook is garbage

we as a people need to put the screens down

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 02:21 PM
link   
A lot of people these days will see only what they want to see and pretend nothing else exists.
Things haven't been this bad in living memory, its like a switch was flipped and masses of people instantly became stupid and incapable of accepting other opinions, views, beliefs, let alone reality.

For many, critical thinking has vanished.

originally posted by: tamusan
a reply to: Ravenwatcher

I don't know where you get your MSM from, but mine's been showing over a dozen MSM articles about facebook being down for about 3 hours. It's nearly overtaken the news about the pretty white girl

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: mortex

and people wonder why some of us are getting ready and making plans to get out of major cities

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I had heard a potential cause was that it was done on purpose by Facebook and the goal is to go to a subscription based formatting and the "breach" would be an excuse to help offer a better service and protect your information better. Coincides with the Whistleblower testimony and the need to protect the innocent. Not sure that I buy it but it is interesting

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: elevatedone

Laughing Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

I gave you a star simply because, Muppets. 'Nuff said.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3

sorry guys,

I thought it was the light cord I tripped over.

other than it being used as a photo storage area Facebook is garbage

we as a people need to put the screens down

Good one

Seconded... to your last sentence

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

I don't use Facebook or Instagram or any of that stuff.

this is all the social media I do.

that being said I LOVE YouTube

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join