It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook hit with massive DDoS attack

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:19 PM
link   
It seems there is a very large DDoS attack on FB right now. Either that, or someone pwned a bunch of DNS systems a while back and are now using them to deny service to everything Facebook, including Instagram and WhatsApp.

FACEBOK GLOBAL OUTAGE AFTER WHISTLEBLOWER

I for one am pretty happy about this. I hope whoever has done this relentlessly keeps at it causing them to lose so much money and trust they collapse.

In case you missed it, here is the FB whistleblower last night on 60 minutes showing how Facebook forces people and organizations to do evil in order to compete for attention in the add space.

Facebook Whistleblower

The most interesting thing from this interview is not that FB censors. We all knew that. Their reasons for what they censor however seem horrible. A lot of people assumed its mainly a political slant they follow, but that appears wrong now. They amplify all negative content, and remove less than 5% because people love to hate, so they engage more hate to get you back. Now politicians and others are upset that the only way they can get clicks on FB, is to make their adds lean to one extreme or the other, because that gets engagement and gives them better ROI on their adds. It seems Facebook has setup a system where advertisers, groups, and anything else needs to take crazy or absurd extremists positions to get attention and clicks. Then those positions are adopted by different sides, and make them more extreme the next time around for the next click.

They are intentionally driving political extremism, but apparently its for money, not a political slant. While individuals removing posts or posting warning may be very political, their business model overall promotes people hating and attacking each other, or the other side for clicks. They normalized it.

The level of bad ethics here is beyond what anyone thought. We all could understand maybe Zuck using his power to steer things how he wants, but it seems more like they dont have interest in that in the day to day. They primarily steer both sides against they other because they come back more to hate than they come back for any other reason. They are like the kid on the playground trying to start fights between other kids for fun. Only instead of for fun, they are doing it for billions of dollars. Facebook has been sneakier about it than anyone ever could have imagined.

Well now they are caught, and their sites are currently down. Time for popcorn. Lets hope for mankind, this is the beginning of the end for them. All social media should be neutral and open sourced. No one should be able to promote or hide anything in public discourse online. It was the ignorance of the masses that let us get here in the first place. There is no reason for people to have the power to curate or amplify what they want.

It seems if there is a future for social media, the one who will win in the long run will be whoever can design an open sourced and encrypted distributed social media network that cannot be manipulated, IMHO. No one should have power over the conversations we want to have with other free citizens.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Not a word on major MSM yet , My account has been down around 4 hours now

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TrollMagnet

I've seen a few articles that said it was caused by a major power outage.

They better hurry up and working again. I haven't posted my dog pics for the day.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:24 PM
link   
It’s not just FB, it’s a ton of sites. I’m surprised ATS is still up.

This is only the beginning.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan

They better hurry up and working again. I haven't posted my dog pics for the day.

And I won't get my paycheck if I don't get my mandatory 50 Russian propaganda stories posted for today!

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Interesting.

About an hour ago I heard there was a massive DDOS against major DNS providers, even downdetector.com was offline... but now it seems back, saying the problem is at facebook.

Curious.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Ravenwatcher

I don't know where you get your MSM from, but mine's been showing over a dozen MSM articles about facebook being down for about 3 hours. It's nearly overtaken the news about the pretty white girl

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Yes and no. I agree with most of your points, however why then are they just cancelling conservatives? They are most certainly not cancelling liberals and progressives at the rate they are anything conservative or Trump. So there definitely is a political aspect to this as well.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Signals
It’s not just FB, it’s a ton of sites. I’m surprised ATS is still up.

This is only the beginning.

God help us, Drama Queen much ?

edit on 4-10-2021 by asabuvsobelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Hmmm, possibly governmental ordered?

Could there be some other news about to break, Government shuts it down, to keep things quiet. Its not that they are down perse, it is what is the reason all the sites crash at once all of them are in different places it ain't a circuit breaker.

edit on 4-10-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:31 PM
link   
GLP was up. I saw FB was down.
Went back to GLP. And it was down.
Expect ATS to drop.

Might get something done today after all

Dark Winter might refer to the fiber going dark

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Could be a test from China. Taiwan attack about to start.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:32 PM
link   

It's a crying shame... By that, I mean it's a shame I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. Really though, I was just about to post a stupid answer to a stupid question in a 5th Gen Ram group I'm a member of. Other than not getting to make my post. . .

. . .AHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:33 PM
link   
It's down everywhere here in the UK too. I was on another site that traced the outage leaving only Iran untouched which I find amusing.

It's starting to affect twitter too and WhatsApp etc

It's like an international communications disruption. Usually a precursor to an attack

Just sayin

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:36 PM
link   
" No one should have power over the conversations we want to have with other free citizens."

If we were paying for Facebook, I'd say that you are right, but, we are NOT paying for it. It's their site, they have the right to do as they please with it. If you don't like it, you are free not to go there.

We have a small local Mall. There's a group who thinks that they have a right to run their protests in the open area. To this point the owners of the Mall haven't done anything about it. They agreed with the views of the protesters. A few weeks ago these protesters assaulted and injured several people. This lead to a majority of the tenant stores asking the Owners to ban the protests. The owners refused. Last week the stores gave notice that they were leaving. Now the owners have changed their mind.

Facebook owns Facebook. They can do what they want with it. If you don't like it, you are free not to go there. Like the owners of the stores. They didn't like what the Owners were doing, so they exercised their right to go elsewhere. That's the only right that you have in this.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan

I'm a highly trained IT Tech with a heavy background in security.

Power failure is a blatant lie. Someone pwned major parts of our infrastructure. The DNS servers, and Facebooks servers are distributed and redundant. A single power failure cannot do this.
edit on 4-10-2021 by TrollMagnet because: typo

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Its everywhere. Downdetector showing the same outgages for loads of sites.
Border Gateway Patrol b0rked update perchance. Pub WiFi still up so I'll have a beer and ride this one out

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: panoz77

Yes and no. I agree with most of your points, however why then are they just cancelling conservatives? They are most certainly not cancelling liberals and progressives at the rate they are anything conservative or Trump. So there definitely is a political aspect to this as well.

It seems more likely that is what you see, because they know you get angrier about it, and if you open up facebook, thats what you engage with an d what they will show you.

Think about how many people brag about FB jail.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Somebody showed Joe the internet shut down button and he thought if you pushed it he could send a text filled with emojis to Jill.

+11 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Here's hoping it's bad enough to destroy them forever.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join