It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who watched Squid Games?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Red light green light immediately established the existential parameters of their situation. Go for the gold within '' the rules of the game, or die. Mixed of course with the dynamic of democracy. They could and did vote as a group to quit. And they did.

From then on it was once again, knowing the existential dilemma they would face, voluntary. And it remained so throughout. At any time they could have voted to end it, but they didn't. Even when it came down to just the two, they did not vote to quit.

That it was done to amuse a sickly perverse clientele was an interesting ''twist'' that added an even sicker dimension though not really necessary for the value of the entire story.

To me, it was the dog eat dog nature of our human structures that thrive on competition. There is no room at the top for more than one. One winner. One winner. We must train ourselves to compete or die. Even if we choose a team to compete with, sooner or later choosing a team or a specific team mate, the rules of competition will end up turning us on one another.

Use or be used. Beat or be beaten. Once the end was in sight, there was no room for empathy, no room for negotiation, no room for sympathy. Kill or be killed. Other than of course, a vote to quit....Very dramatic. Classic tests of broad and ancient moral dilemmas. All laid out for us modern generation that only faces most of these challenges in our entertainment.

I"m hoping there is no sequel. I cannot imagine how they could re-state those dilemmas again without watering down the existential nature of the entire project.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I watched it….riveting content. Lots more to it than just the series of six games. Well developed characters, great story arc. Amazed they haven’t created a version of this series for the USA.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I also liked how, what the doctor was doing in that room with the red players, sidetracked enough so you can't be sure if it's a sidegame or the purpose. Remember the body contract?

I would like to know a bit more about that part of the series, what ship, where was it from? How did this came to be? I would have liked they shone a light on it too but may just add to the mystery and it's good like that.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 01:33 PM
link   
It was decent TV, but just not as "epic" as I figured it should be after seeing the reviews and instant popularity (I didn't see any spoilers).

I figure anyone that's seen Battle Royale would feel the same way as its basically Battle Royale with a cash prize with elements of SAW thrown in.

I felt they should have spent a little more time fleshing out some of the minor characters than they did. There was times I thought we felt too little for a couple of the "C team" by not knowing their background and I thought some of the games could have moved a little faster to leave room for it.

My biggest issue though was the guys behind the curtains, who just seemed (to me) completely out of place generic bad guys with too much money who enjoy a bloodbath. Never-mind the deplorable acting skills. I was highly disappointed when they turned up to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, far better than most of the sparsely populated series' that have been coming out since covid, but just not good as it could have been in my opinion and don't think it deserves the hype it's been getting.

On the upside, anyone who bought red overalls for halloween last year can re-use them and just buy a new mask.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TheResidentAlien

My biggest issue though was the guys behind the curtains, who just seemed (to me) completely out of place generic bad guys with too much money who enjoy a bloodbath. Never-mind the deplorable acting skills. I was highly disappointed when they turned up to be honest.

My guess is they just got white guys, that really weren't actors. You are right, it was very cringy.
edit on 4-10-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I have seen this on my streaming service, but honestly thought it was a reality style game show.

So it's not? Might have a gander, there's bugger all else on lately.

But I prefer not to watch sordid, morbid things. Unless they have a twist... I wish I could forget watching Nobody, so I could enjoy it again, that was a great movie, or Bob just takes me with him in everything he does..

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 11:46 PM
link   

My Wife and i watched it this weekend. Hooked instantly (I don't like gore as much as she does, lol)

Turned out to be unique and worth watching.

I like "different" shows. I'm tired of the "standard formula" from the West.

Seoul is beautiful as well, I'd love to visit there.

edit on 10/4/2021 by MykeNukem because: eh?

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I just watched first 2 episodes of 1 season and than I deleted because of to much details in story. Personally I did not like it.
edit on 5-10-2021 by Jessica21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 01:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jessica21
I just watched first 2 episodes of 1 season and than I deleted because of to much details in story. Personally I did not like it.

Welcome.

This is your introductory post, as weird as it is.

I like details, which ones bothered you?

AND without those details could you have followed the story?

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Currently watching it now, as an avid K-drama/K-movie fan it's average imo, very heavy Battle Royale influence going on, but it's entertaining enough and still better than most of the Western drama shows

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I thought it was great. Highly recommended!

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Hunger Games + Saw = Squid Game

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Yes and they actually looked alike, long faces!
And…..how the old man scolded him for cheating!!! Just like a dad would do.

Oh I remember the other thing, when they were going through the mock village the dad says this looks just like my home and the winner says yes me too.

The "kid" doesn't acknowledge the house as his, just similar. I'd think he would know his own home but maybe "Dad" grew up nearby. Still not buying he was his dad but each to her own.

posted on Dec, 6 2021 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
A little gory for my taste but loved it.
The story is so much deeper than what it seems.

****************SPOILER ALERT****************************

Think this is a movie about greedy bloodsport? Yes but there is more.
Here is my little interpretation.

Being of Korean ethnicity, some of this hit just a little closer to home.
This is about how Koreans worked like dogs, killed each other, and some sold themselves out to the West.
But in the end, was it really the White guy that did it to them, or their own damn people? Either way, people at the top, all
seem to have one thing in common, they sure do get enjoyment out of the torture and struggle of the ordinary folks.

In the end, it was also just about survival. We all want to survive, by any means possible. It starts with childhood games and continues throughout life.

As an American, I assumed it was about the crushing effects of debt, health care, and greedy elites.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join