It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now Boomers are to blame for lack of Fast Food workers

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2021 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
There isn't one set number, it depends on the location, but they need to pay enough to actually have workers.

Yes, and the number should be determined by normal rational business principles... you offer a starting wage, and start raising it if you get no takers, wash rinse repeat until people start taking the jobs.

It is called market pricing of labor.

There should be NO 'minimum wage', and the time for child labor laws is long gone. There is no reason intelligent motivated 12, 13 or 14 year olds (or younger) shouldn't be able to take many of these kinds of jobs - as long as no one is forcing them to.

posted on Oct, 8 2021 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: joejack1949

I should clarify - I was not talking about fast food workers. I'm talking engineers, programmers, software dev, sales, project managers, small business owners, actuaries, etc.

Well, of course those people will stay... they have already invested in improving themselves. That's not the general rule, though, from what I have seen. The kids that work in fast food vastly outnumber those in professional positions.

Have you ever seen a google office, or any tech company office?

Not directly, but I have heard of them. And that kinda proves my point: why would any company deliver such perks if they didn't have to in order to maintain workers?

You do realize all those luxuries cost money, right? That's money that could be in the kids' paychecks. But it says something when kids are choosing such luxury comfort over cash, then complaining that they don't have enough cash.

Plus, again I was talking about the majority. Kids working in fast food do not get such treatment... if they did, people would be starving to death in the waiting line!

I strongly disagree with you here. If the only millennial/zillennials you know work fast food, your sample size is insufficient. I was born in the 80's and many of my peers are extremely hard working and successful.

I was talking about mainly kids up to their mid-20s. Born 1990s or later. Although I wasn't as impressed with your generation either, to be honest, except in comparison with this new one. I guess if you use today as a yardstick, you guys weren't so bad.

I'm not sure what you did that you think younger generations could not do.

Will not do. And here is an example already posted.

Show me someone in this generation who will go without food for a week... I have. Took that long to finish the contract and get paid. Show me someone in this generation who will work two jobs and take a full load in college all simultaneously. I did. Show me someone in this generation who will ride a bicycle across a medium-sized mountain before sunup, just so he can then haul hay all day for less than minimum wage, then ride back. I have. Heck, show me someone in this generation who will work 7 12s for a couple months! I did that more than once. I know of two who might... my own kids, who I raised the same way my Daddy raised me. Both of them will tell you the same thing about this generation, their generation, that I do.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 8 2021 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Back when I went to high school, they had machine shop and wood shop classes and none if this bulls**t racist training classes or the other bulls**t classes.
machine and wood shop not only taught you the trades, but safety in working around equipment.

I am retired now but have worked as a machinist, gunsmith, welder, EMT/firefighter, pipe fitter, mechanic, electromotive equipment mechanic, mine superintendent, industrial construction electrician. Security officer and safety man at a number of job sites
I have had a number of jobs i have worked three to four trades on the same job sites filling in as needed.

Most people do not understand how many job sites have trades that are not needed full time but like to have a employee that can float around and work trades as needed when they are shorthanded.

I had many remote job sites where i worked a regular trade and EMT, safety man as needed.

Anyone working a trade should get EMT training, as you will get jobs over someone with just a trade because many companies love having an onsite EMT if someone gets injured.

posted on Oct, 12 2021 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I appreciate your response because now I know why you think the way you do. It's stunning that you don't think anyone except your kids is able to work hard, but at least it makes sense given the rest of your perspective. I don't know any boomers like you claim yourself to be, but I wouldn't claim you don't exist.

My perspective is biased, however, because I live in the fastest growing region in Canada, and home ownership is no longer accessible for the average Joe or Redneck. My bias shapes my perspective, because I faced many obstacles and challenges similar to yours. Yes, I biked 20 km each way to university for 5 years (not up a mountain, but through snow, sleet and rain). I didn't even buy my first car until I was 31 (and it's a 2007 Saturn LOL). I needed the foodbank to survive and I lived in some #ty apartments that have since been demolished for new developments. And now that I've worked and saved and gotten promotions and raises, home ownership is not possible because of the astronomical increase in prices over the past 5 years. That's why I'm jaded. I realize that most people do not live in wildly growing regions, and you probably haven't experienced such growth. Perhaps your children will afford houses one day. I just see boomers sitting in million dollar bungalows acting like their poop doesn't stink saying that younger generations don't work hard, and it bothers me - so I apologize for projecting my bias onto you.
edit on 2021-10-12 by joejack1949 because: typo!

posted on Oct, 12 2021 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: joejack1949

My kids own their homes already. And they both live in one of those fast-growing areas where prices have skyrocketed. My daughter did lose hers in a divorce, but that's another story... she'll own her own home again.

I do congratulate you on your story of perseverance. That is not the kind of story I hear around here, although the generation I am talking to is later than yours. You mentioned you bought your first car at 31, which means you are older than 31. The people I am talking about are in their 20s. I have no doubt that, if you maintain your attitude and keep pressing, you can realize that dream one day yourself.

Life's not easy. I don't think it is supposed to be. An easy life makes for a weak person. Obstacles and setbacks help us to grow stronger.

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join