It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what the hell year is this?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple
No, the question is "What did Socrates call the year he was living in?"
The answer is that Socrates thought the year was part of an Olympiad (i.e the interval between two successive Olympian games) with a specific number, designating the number of Olypiads since the very first recorded Games.

edit on 1-10-2021 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

exactly!! you have got it!! but it wasnt BC back then was it?

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

No. They named the year by archon.
The olympiad is an invention by Timaeus for his research but was never actually used by anyone.

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 05:35 PM
link   
For example, OP, the Assyrians developed the habit of dating the year from the length of time the current monarch had been reigning. We find the same system in Kings and Chronicles in the OT. These could be checked for reference against the "limmu" lists, which were supposed to contain the reigns of all the monarchs. I've already mentioned in another post the Olympiads of Greece.

If I look in the later volumes I think I will find that Alexander, for example, supplied the starting-point for another era in widespread use.
Toynbee is usually good for an Appendix on this kind of recondite topic, but I haven't had time to find one yet.

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 05:39 PM
link   

i understand what you are saying...what i am saying is...how did the time changers know how many years in the BC to go? what records did they go by to know exactly what the year was? either they just made it up, or, there were records of the year that are now hidden or destroyed.

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 05:45 PM
link   

this brings up a whole new set of weirdness. the ancients kept track of time meticulously but the passing of years was not that important. so when we go into the BC it is pretty much made up?

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 05:47 PM
link   
it is the second to last year

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: autopat51

It's an educated guess and a puzzle, cross referencing when two groups interacted and recorded the same event and you already know where that was on your time line for one of them you can build around that for the other.
Which is why the further back you go the more often you read 'ca.' or 'between'

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 05:58 PM
link   
They were not very interested in fitting current events into a larger context, so they made only short-term references.

Modern historians have to work by collecting all the short-term references they can find and building them up into sequences.
"We know that King X ruled for ten years, and he was the heir of King Y who ruled for thirty-teo years." Then they have to pray that no kings are missing from the sequence.

Also they can look for ways of connecting the systems of different cultures. "We know that King Og of Babylon was killed by Pharaoh Amenhotep in the third year of Amenhotep's reign", which connects together Babylon and Egypt (fictitious example).
But that still leaves room for a lot of argument (was it Og II or Og III?).
So the chronology of ancient history is not an exact science.

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 06:08 PM
link   
the responses to this thread so far reinforces my belief that our time line was all made up.
a group determined [ after the time line was established ] what years would be assigned to virtually everything.

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 06:15 PM
link   

if they didnt care about the year, and this may be true. im still asking...what the hell year is it? i think we are so much older than we are being told.

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Nobody was interested in assigning "year numbers" to earlier events except students of history, so those are the people who have been doing it.

There is no point in looking for a "conspiracy theory" here, because there is nothing to be gained from assigning year numbers. Except a better understanding of how events relate to each other, which is what they are interested in.

Nobody is "making things up". They are just explorers trying to make maps of some very difficult country, full of rocks and bogs, and trying to make sense of the scattered observations that are available to them.

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 06:22 PM
link   

No. Because additional to the work of historians you got archaeology and carbon14 dating with a pretty good accuracy.
It's far from just made up.

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 06:28 PM
link   
In answer to that question, there is no such thing as a scientific "real" date. Unless you want to count the number of years since the Big Bang. All year numbers are arbitrary labels supplied by humans, for their own convenience. In the same way that your own name was given to you by some human.

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 06:32 PM
link   

sometimes i just have a problem with the fact that BC is much guesework and AD seems for the most part...very well written.

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Ahhh!

I see you now.

Recorded history is incomplete data dude and is used to write a narrative that ‘fits best’

You can date things by relativity but you can also ignore things or interpret, ie. cave art and the squatting man, data to sell your doctrine.

In this sense there is no Day zero as such.

There is however a ‘purple dawn of creation’ and records on stone that corroborate with each other to direct our attention to earlier observations.

Some of these draw us to various global archetypes and let us speculate on events with considerable circumstantial evidential support.

Check out thunderbolts of the Gods.

Anywho, if your line of questioning is heading the way I suspect then I hope that video helps to fire some neurons. It lit me up when I first watched.

edit on 1-10-2021 by Dalamax because: Stupid imbeder

edit on 1-10-2021 by Dalamax because: I’m a stickler for syntax

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 06:43 PM
link   
That's because records don't survive very long when they are written on fragile materials. Clay tablets break, papyrus falls apart unless it is kept very dry. A lot of ancient information survives because somebody took the trouble to bash it into stone.

In later times, there was paper and vellum, which last longer. Also culture is organised to recopy a lot of things that are falling apart, until printing is invented to ease the problem. The result is that we can put together a continuous sequence of events every year in European history, probably since the end of Roman times.

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 06:43 PM
link   

All I know is that it is 11:11 somewhere!!

It was not until the Aegytians that something we “modern” humans could understand as “our” notion of that me telling happened. And that was just the 24x365 = 1 year sense.

Do you remember the school learning about switching between the Gregorian Julian calendars and public went all Right-wing and rioted about their “lost days” during the Pax Romana transition of the calendars??

Well, one was lunar (days of the year drift drastically), versus the solar based (Egyptian) version. Oddly enough, Cleopatra and Jules hooked up and the scuttlebutt is “the slut corrupted him” (Et Tu?? Or is that Et Tut [ET Tut!!! How apropos!]). The n some ways, this is still a battle!…

Well, I digress. What we call “years” are socially relativistic (like all time! No??). Any event of significance can/does/should/shouldn’t be the start of a new era. How many Kobains has it been?? Learys?? Reagans?? Lincoln (with an “l”)…

That is why it has gone stellar.

And heck, that is as best as we can detect with our best Gallileo decoder ring!! (I.e., we are not even close to being precise enough to be “definitive).

But we’re getting better!!!

-Today’s Stardate, 75074.4, 11:11 (WWJWS - WWJ watch say?)

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 09:25 PM
link   

The current year is 8021

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Well, the obvious answer is he pulled the date out of his ass. The less obvious answer would be that he referred to known events that happened throughout the information he had available and referenced biblical accounts. We have to remember how much written information we've lost over the centuries.

For instance, they had a good idea when Pilot ruled. Go from there, back 35 years or so and there is your year zero.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join