It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muscle cramps/spasm’s suck!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I’m 40+ hours into quick firing muscle spasms that light off every minute or two like a machine gun.
I’ve tried everything, even the doctors have given up.
They’ve prescribed Valium as well as the med they give you for kidney stone pain.etc etc etc
I’ve tried calcium and magnesium, vitamin supplements.
The list of things I’ve tried is near endless.
Ice...no. Heat...no. physical therapy does not help because it is a nerve thing.
I used to get hamstring cramps that would haul my heel up to my butt and lock it there when I was still working on the boats and those were terrible! Those particular cramps usually pointed to a calcium deficiency.
Guess what works, the only thing that works.

Advil......18 of them at a pop. Yeah, Yeah....I know!
Anyone would gladly drop 18 Advil after 12 hours of this.

I HATE MUSCLE CRAMPS AND SPASMS, THEY SUCK!!!

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: PiratesCut

This will sound weird but try Valasic dill pickle juice.. The refrigerated jar that has the white garlic floaties in the bottom. We found out this works many years ago for all kinds of cramps especially during Tennis tournaments when nothing else worked. Advil can and will kill you liver at a high dosage but I assume you already know that... Good luck

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 08:39 AM
link   

because it is a nerve thing.

Is it only legs? One sided, both sides? I am not a doctor but it sounds like nobody yet tried to put their hands on you to check out the nerve and pressure points responsible for this.

Try this, stand up and put your weight on the foot that is not cramping, so your cramping foot is just hanging. Run a finger under your bottom cheeks, on the outer side of the leg, on the leg that is cramping. Put slight pressure on it and now run it slowly towards the middle, along the wrinkle of the cheek. You should feel a point where the pain intensifies.

If you feel that, what would strengthen my educated guess, PM me and I will tell you what you can do to release it. I won't write it in public not to be cocky or high nosed, but I don't take pressure point stimulation lightly by oath but I can share knowledge when it is used for healing, not damaging. Reasons.

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Be careful! You can overdose on that stuff, and it could cause problem much worse than what you're experiencing now. Don't get yourself into a state of deep regret and severe medical issues.

See this ...

On a different note (and this is no joke), have you tried pickle juice? As this is chronic, it may not help, but when I've had cramps from work or exercise i tried it. It actually works. Nobody knows why, and all it takes is a good gulp, but it shuts the cramp down immediately.

If you've not heard of this, look it up. Seriously. The only drawback is the high sodium content, but if it works it'd be much safer than overdosing on ibuprofen.

edit on 2021 9 30 by incoserv because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I've heard the same thing for a cramp remedy.
Be sure to drink water too.

Although the op is describing spasms so I'm not sure it would help. Give it a shot though because it won't hurt either.

To the op.
This sounds like a vitamin or mineral deficiency.
Has anyone performed a hair analysis on you?
Those can point out all kinds of weird things and may point you in the right direction.

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Just spit balling here but perhaps you are deficient in potassium and or don't drink enough water. If you've tried these 2 solutions, ignore this post.

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I've heard the same thing for a cramp remedy.
Be sure to drink water too.

Although the op is describing spasms so I'm not sure it would help. Give it a shot though because it won't hurt either.

To the op.
This sounds like a vitamin or mineral deficiency.
Has anyone performed a hair analysis on you?
Those can point out all kinds of weird things and may point you in the right direction.

I've done it, initially doubtful. It does work! But, like you said, since this is a chronic issue, the root cause may not respond.

Can't hurt to try, though.

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Above knee amputation. The muscles in the stump get to a point where they are so weak the mind sends signals to work them.
Problem is I feel them in my foot, the foot that is not there and it’s always in different places that I feel it.

Today it’s like someone is sticking an ice-pick in the back of my heal and driving it deep into the heel bone.

By the way, I tried the pickle juice thing a long time ago.
Thanks for the idea but nope....nothing. 😰

Every suggestion I have read here that I am actually able to try I already have and this has been going on for 20+ years and as far as supplements go, my mothers side of the family owns a very large natural food store here and they have tried to help me over and over and over and over.

Seems there is no rest for the wicked....🤪

Thank you everyone! I needed to vent. But please keep coming with the suggestions maybe someone has one that will really actually for the first time work. I will lick your toenails on the steps of the Capitol Building if can you provide me with one that works...😆

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: It’s the Swamp Yankee thing again

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

This will sound weird but try Valasic dill pickle juice.. The refrigerated jar that has the white garlic floaties in the bottom. We found out this works many years ago for all kinds of cramps especially during Tennis tournaments when nothing else worked. Advil can and will kill you liver at a high dosage but I assume you already know that... Good luck

My mother gets these so bad we have had to rush her to the hospital.

Finally she found pickle juice.

She keeps a jar in her fridge, you can also get pickle juice at sports stores for cramps.

It's worth a try at least and won't hurt you.

(edit)

I just saw you tried it. Have you tried the sport drink pickle juice at sport stores? Probably, but I hope you find something.

edit on 9/30/21 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I figured while I was AFK that it might me amp. related. And that points even more towards that pressure point because you're sitting on it a lot. It can actually trigger other points if it's overstimulated, giving trouble up the spine, tailbone region would next.

You can try to soften the muscle tissue in that region then to relief pressure on that point. Just massage around it gently with some prewarmed oil. If it's the nerve that is overstimulated, this will at least lessen the irritation a bit. If you tried the cheek wrinkle thing and there is the same type of pain you feel when cramps start.

Add: 727sky was the member that came up with the pickle juice
edit on 30.9.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Thank You!!

When I got hamstring cramps offshore I’d dive out of my rack and get my feet on the cold floor and bend forward with legs straight as far as I could with feet flat on the floor. Once the cramp released I had to be oh so careful as I got back in my bunk and lay there because almost any movement of that leg or legs would fire off the cramp and my heels would be locked to my butt again.
Let me tell you, THAT F’n HURT!!
Calcium as my cousin suggested helped but only in the long run never immediately and I only got the cramps during the winter time when we were working in the heaviest of weather.

a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: Swamp Yankee speak, talk to text does not understand it

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Thank You!!

Truth be told, this is been going on for so long that now it’s just one of the things I have to deal with in life. Maybe someday someone will suggest something that actually works. If I had to put a list on paper of everything I’ve tried no way would I remember them all. But please keep the suggestions coming I beg of everyone

link   
Double post sorry. I have sausage fingers.

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: Double post

link   

Calcium and Magnesium are enemies in the sense of body uptake. High levels of calcium will decrease the ability to uptake magnesium. If you get both in a single pill, make sure it's a depot type of formula, that will release both seperate in a timed manner.

The same is true for zinc and iron, calcium also effects the absorbing of them.

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 10:20 AM
link   
My grandma used to rub vinegar on muscle cramps and said it helped.Didnt have any the other day when I had cramps in both legs at the same time,or I'd have sure tried it.Hope you can find something to help,that's agony to have cramps.

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 10:30 AM
link   

You really didn't provide enough information.
Are you overweight? Are the spasms emanating from the lower back? Sciatic nerve pain doesn't originate in the hip. It originates from the lumbar spine and facet joints in that region.

I have constant muscle spasms originating from that region as well and have found that wearing a back brace helps, but I have started wearing it in an unconventional manner. I have found that the back side of the lower spine is sometimes not the right place needing support. Think about this. A person that has a large gut, or lax stomach muscles, puts undue strain on the spine from the front side and needs support to keep your spine from sagging inward. I put my back brace on and spin it around to pull in the gut.
Strengthen the stomach muscles with isometric exercises, sit-ups and leg lift exorcizes.

Pinched nerves.
edit on 30-9-2021 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

Loose weight.

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 10:43 AM
link   
My mother had a terrible problem with cramps years ago. doctor prescribed her quinine pills. She swore by them.

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Calcium and Magnesium are enemies in the sense of body uptake. High levels of calcium will decrease the ability to uptake magnesium. If you get both in a single pill, make sure it's a depot type of formula, that will release both seperate in a timed manner.

The same is true for zinc and iron, calcium also effects the absorbing of them.

Yea I'm partial to magnesium oil, right on the skin and into the bloodstream, drinking pickle juice works too just takes a little longer .

I had one of a crick in my neck on the left side and it would not go away, had massive headaches, etc. I couldn't massage it out it was just a painful knot for weeks. Finally, somebody on ATS mentioned magnesium oil and its absorption properties.

Worked like a charm I had a little bit and I mixed in some DMSO, but I got relief almost immediately
edit on 30-9-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6
Epsom salt bath does the trick, too. But take care of hair, I once recommended and got scolded by another member who said she did that once and it was a horrible advice from me.

I do them a few times a year and the only problem I have is permanent hair dye fading. But you guys do not have that problem very often.

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I swear by Theraworx.

Sometimes I get leg cramps that wake me up at night. I keep a bottle of Theraworx by my bed. Pump out a golfball size foam and rub it on my leg, give it about 3-5 minutes, and the cramp is gone and I can go back to sleep. Everyone I've told about it says it works for them, too.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join