It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Species like this one, seem to point to the possibility of unknown cryptids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 08:02 AM
link   
When I stumble upon this pic, the first thing I thought was if nature can carve out a niche for this frog, chances are it's carved out a niche or 3 for some other unusual life form....

reminds me of the toad from Mario Bros

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 08:12 AM
link   
LINK?

PHOTO??
edit on 30-9-2021 by Lazarus Short because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Coolest Toad Ever!!

I’ve caught a lot of toads in my life!
You could fill buckets with them after the hatch out around the swamps behind beaches here.
Millions upon millions upon millions of them would be hopping every which way.
My kids had so much fun chasing baby toads...lol

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 08:38 AM
link   

One of the main reasons I think man has a good chance at wiping himself from the Earth, is our frequent interference with nature.

Nature makes adaptations to a species slowly, with minute changes over a long period of time. Nature is constantly tracking every factor involved in protecting life on this planet. The quality of the air, soil, and water, the elemental make up of every organism on this planet, making adaptations as required to sustain life.

Nature is aware of the shifts, and makes changes accordingly, to maintain the balance required in sustaining life on this planet. What do we do if something looks different? We try to eradicate it, or try to fix it. We think we know what is needed to correct the errors of nature. We are too stupid to even consider that what we see as an error in nature, or a mistake, may just be nature modifying elements in nature to sustain our survival. Some are willing to consider that some adaptations take place in other life forms, but not is us. That nature spares us, and only adapts those things that are below humans.

I pray they are wrong, because if nature is not adapting us, than we surely will not be spared.

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Sells like Australia and China get all the cool critters.

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

One of the main reasons I think man has a good chance at wiping himself from the Earth, is our frequent interference with nature.

Nature makes adaptations to a species slowly, with minute changes over a long period of time. Nature is constantly tracking every factor involved in protecting life on this planet. The quality of the air, soil, and water, the elemental make up of every organism on this planet, making adaptations as required to sustain life.

Nature is aware of the shifts, and makes changes accordingly, to maintain the balance required in sustaining life on this planet. What do we do if something looks different? We try to eradicate it, or try to fix it. We think we know what is needed to correct the errors of nature. We are too stupid to even consider that what we see as an error in nature, or a mistake, may just be nature modifying elements in nature to sustain our survival. Some are willing to consider that some adaptations take place in other life forms, but not is us. That nature spares us, and only adapts those things that are below humans.

I pray they are wrong, because if nature is not adapting us, than we surely will not be spared.

It shows animals evolve to their environment for survival and breeding.

While it goes down the slippery slope of eugenics, the issue with man is that our intelligence and ability for compassion allows the weakest among us to survive and mate.

The other issue is that we've become so dependent on tech, we cannot sustain ourselves without. It is almost like we are wild animals that have forgotten how to hunt. A lion that no longer knows how to run down a gazelle. What do we do if there is a sudden change and we have to revert back to those survival skills?

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Those are really cool looking. It's interesting that they just grow during the breeding season. I know it says that 'lost spines can regrow', but I'm curious if they regularly lose/shed them at the end of each breeding season, similar to a buck(male deer) losing his antlers.

I believe you're referring to Bowser, who is more like some sort of turtle than a toad.

edit on 9/30/21 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

What do we do if there is a sudden change and we have to revert back to those survival skills?

That's simple. We panic, and mass chaos ensues.

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

How many times have I said it?

We have been circumventing the process of natural selection for far too long.

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I agree with your assertion pretty much 100%.

Nature doesn't have to adapt to us, we have to adapt to nature.

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles

Those are really cool looking. It's interesting that they just grow during the breeding season. I know it says that 'lost spines can regrow', but I'm curious if they regularly lose/shed them at the end of each breeding season, similar to a buck(male deer) losing his antlers.

I believe you're referring to Bowser, who is more like some sort of turtle than a toad.

Looks more like one of bowsers many minions to me

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles

What do we do if there is a sudden change and we have to revert back to those survival skills?

That's simple. We panic, and mass chaos ensues.

Indeed, but I think that is part of the process. Panic and mass chaos will weed out those that are least likely to make it, and prevent them from using up the limited resources.

The strongest and the smartest will likely survive. They together will develop the following generations, and if they are smart enough to cherish those born with obvious adaptations, instead of killing them off, the process of re-establishing a sustainable society will be sped up a bit. Nature will provide and maintain, as long as we get out the way and let it do what God programmed it to do.

My opinion.

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 03:44 PM
link   

That is so cool. They must break off in combat I guess. I don't like to watch other animals fighting for their lives and being eaten alive, But IDK. a frog fight for mating rights seems like it would be kinda neat.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 07:08 AM
link   

It shows animals evolve to their environment for survival and breeding.

While it goes down the slippery slope of eugenics, the issue with man is that our intelligence and ability for compassion allows the weakest among us to survive and mate.

The other issue is that we've become so dependent on tech, we cannot sustain ourselves without. It is almost like we are wild animals that have forgotten how to hunt. A lion that no longer knows how to run down a gazelle. What do we do if there is a sudden change and we have to revert back to those survival skills?

I would imagine there are gonna be fewer cars on the freeway for starters...

Here's the thing what if that's just how humans are, we are too social Native Americans and other indigenous peoples have stories. Stories such as we are in our 7th world we are on the 7th run through trying to establish a perpetual civilized world, all the other times we were either destroyed by some unknown calamity or we destroyed our population pushing it to the brink.

The theory is this is where things like the lost city of Atlantis those ruins off the coast of Japan come from.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

How do you know that wasn't the plan all along? I been trying to figure out its plans for decades. The only thing I have figured out is. It enjoys pain, suffering and strife. That much you can be sure of. The rest is up for grabs.

Well according to the experts, humans will evolve again or die out.
edit on 2-10-2021 by Uknownparadox because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lazarus Short
LINK?

PHOTO??

www.newscientist.com...

Males are bigger than females, a clue to their violent nature. Among amphibians it’s normally the other way around; males only outgrow females in species where males fight. In a dozen or so of these species, males grow spines on their upper lips, giving Emei moustache toads their name.

During the breeding season, each male grows 10 to 16 spines. “They are as sharp as a pencil lead,” says Hudson, adding that the frogs “do try to stab you a bit when you pick them up”.

The toads spend most of the year in forests, but in February and March they head to streams to breed. The males arrive first and claim rocks in the fast-flowing water. They spend several weeks swimming around their chosen rock, with hardly any food, grunting underwater to attract females.

science is great

(I have tried grunting underwater to attract females but didn't seem to work for me)

new topics

top topics

join