It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Coral Castle Built using Anti-Gravity Technology? (No)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2021 @ 09:38 PM
link   
There is a persistent myth that Coral Castle located in Florida was made by Ed Leedskalnin using some kind of anti-gravity technology.

If you're not familiar with Coral Castle, it's a collection of large stones made by one man, Ed Leedskalnin over some decades:

There are websites making the construction of the castle seem mysterious, but at least two books have been written explaining how Coral Castle was built. One of Leedskalnin's friends, Orval Irwin, wrote a book "Mr. Can't Is Dead! The Story of the Coral Castle" with photographs documenting how Coral Castle was built, and no anti-gravity was used, but rather, mechanical advantage was used (what Leedskalnin called "leverage"), as seen in this photo of Leedskalnin with his large block and tackle (he also had a smaller block and tackle to lift the large block and tackle):

Here's the book cover showing some reduced size images on the cover:
www.amazon.com...

A story spanning 55 years. Mr. Irwin talks about why he was hired by Ed in intimate detail. What he saw Ed building, how Ed mentored him and others with his work ethic and inspiration.

This book goes into more detail about the construction methods:
www.goodreads.com...

Coral Castle Construction is so far the only book that fully describes and illustrates the methods and techniques that Ed Leedskalnin used to build his special place. It debunks the myths and fantasies that have prevailed over the last several decades. Contains 100 illustrations.

The books may be difficult to find but here's an article from 2018 explaining the construction methods Ed used as explained in Orval Irwin's book:

Mystery of the Coral Castle Explained

Many stories and wild theories emerged over the decades about Leedskalnin and how he built his castle. Some say he levitated the blocks with psychic powers, or by singing to the stones. Others suggest Leedskalnin had arcane knowledge of magnetism and so-called "earth energies."

As tempting as it is to view the amazing park through a veil of mystery, in fact we know how the castle was built. Creating a structure like the Coral Castle today could probably be accomplished in a few months with a construction crew and modern machinery. But Leedskalnin worked alone using basic tools like picks, winches, ropes and pulleys. Leedskalnin himself said that that he did it using hard work and the principles of leverage. The tools he used to quarry the rock are on display at the Coral Castle, and several old photos depict the large tripods, pulleys, and winches he used to move the blocks. Though the quarried stone slabs are large, they are actually lighter than they appear because the rock is porous...

Though Leedskalnin worked alone, he was not a reclusive hermit; he had friends who he saw often. One man, Orval Irwin, was not only a long-time friend of Leedskalnin's but also a building contractor with a deep knowledge of construction techniques. Irwin wrote a 1996 book with the inspiring title "Mr. Can't Is Dead! The Story of the Coral Castle," and in it he explains, through photographs, drawings, and schematics, how it was done.

Irwin pours cold water on the paranormal theories that unknown energies, alien technology, or levitation built the castle. In fact, he finds such theories an insult to the hard work and integrity of his friend: "Back in the days when Ed started carving out his original stones," Irwin writes, "his was a generation who knew accomplishments by the sweat of the brow. It wasn't mysticism but hard work, this is how Ed really accomplished the massive project...."

As the article says, the stones are porous so not as heavy as they look.

I've personally visited Coral Castle years ago, and I was the only visitor to the site at the time. Even though Ed didn't use anti-gravity to build the site, it was still a rather impressive construction project for one man.

If you are interested in clever people who know how move and erect large heavy stones by themselves, I suggest looking into another man named Wally Wallington who can do that using "sticks and stones" as he puts it. He doesn't even need a block and tackle to erect stonehenge-like stones, he used sand in a clever way as seen in this video.

How "Stonehenge" Was Built?

Wally Wallington who is from Michigan is trying to replicate Stonehenge in his back yard, he has shown he can lift stones weighing over a tonne and move a barn with simple mechanisms but with a great understanding of the mechanics and physics. By himself he has been able to demonstrate it is possible to move stones the size of Stonehenge with his methods.

I still see people talking about Leedskalnin using anti-gravity tech like this recent post on ATS, and thought a thread was needed to set the record straight, that Ed was indeed a clever man, but, he didn't use anti-gravity to make Coral Castle, he used what he called "leverage".
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2021 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Thanks I always wondered how he did it after first hearing about it!

posted on Sep, 29 2021 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. ”
Archimedes

posted on Sep, 29 2021 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: misterE12
Thanks I always wondered how he did it after first hearing about it!

I was curious about it too, that's why I visited the site. But I see the cost of admission has gone up from $0.10 in Leedskalnin's day to I think $18.00 now!

originally posted by: TomCollin

“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. ”
Archimedes
Perhaps a bit of an exaggeration, but the point is still valid that mechanical advantage can do some amazing things, if you know how to use it!

posted on Sep, 29 2021 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Looks like ol’ wally cracked that code. Everything but the use of that hose

Pretty ingenious

posted on Sep, 29 2021 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TomCollin

My pulley is bigger than yours...

posted on Sep, 29 2021 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Yes it is to a point. one thing your lever and fulcrum need to be strong enough to handle the load, and another is the ground floor or what ever thier on has to be to. Same with block and tackle, or hoist. That is the what weight is on, like the picture shows his looks like a tripod frame.

When me and my brother were very young, we found a big block 427 and turbo 350 in a old barn down the road from our house. The old fella said we could have it. We didn't have a cherry picker or a truck. So i got some 10 foot 2 x4's, some wheel barrow tires, and a piece of cold rolled steel from the farm and built me a rig shaw and we pulled and pushed that bad boy a mile and a half to the house. They couldn't believe how easy it was.

edit on 29-9-2021 by TomCollin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2021 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: MarlbBlack

Some say it's not the size of the pulley but the magic in it.

Anyway this ain't no Pulley pulling contest.

posted on Sep, 29 2021 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Excellent thread.

Ed was one heck of a dude, on a mission.

He was also probably a genius in his own way.

Have you read his books on electro-magnetics and magnetics? Some very thought provoking stuff, but I'm not sure he had a full grasp on physics. All self taught I think.

Yea, he was a great and creative guy that used what I think was just a geared device (the black box), leverage, cantilevers, etc. for his lifting.

edit on 9/29/2021 by MykeNukem because: sp.

posted on Sep, 29 2021 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TomCollin

No. You won't. To move the planet you would need a lever that weighs more than the planet itself. And if you are thinking about using yet another lever to lift the first lever then, you guess it, you'll need a lever weighting more than the first lever, and so on.

One advantage of the second experiment is, though, that you would be located at the edge of the known Universe to even try your failed experiment. It worth the effort.

posted on Sep, 29 2021 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur

As the article says, the stones are porous so not as heavy as they look.

What an disingenuous and ridiculous comment. The Coral Castle stones on average weigh more than the pyramid stones in Egypt. The largest slab weighs 30 tons and Ed's revolving door weighed 9 tons and when engineers repaired the non-functioning door in 1986 they had to use a 50 ton crane to facilitate the repair. They also couldn't determine how Ed shoe horned the 9 ton slab into the door opening so they had to cut the top of the door opening off in order to access the 9 ton revolving door.

Ed clearly had many ingenious methods for moving very large and very heavy slabs all while doing so on some of the softest soil imaginable and all entirely by himself. Been there too and it's impressive to see work of that magnitude done by a single person.

As an aside, Billy Idol's song "Sweet 16" is about Ed and his woman who left him for another man.

edit on 29-9-2021 by Type1338 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem
Have you read his books on electro-magnetics and magnetics? Some very thought provoking stuff, but I'm not sure he had a full grasp on physics. All self taught I think.
One source I read said he had a fourth grade education. He did perform his own experiments on electricity and magnetism, but because his education was so minimal he didn't have access to the thousands of other experiments other experimenters have done, so his knowledge from his own experiments was quite limited and in some cases, completely wrong. Yes I read his pamphlet on magnetic current, which according to science as we understand it, there's no such thing, and some of his misconceptions can easily be proven false. If he was afforded an opportunity to attend university and learn about all the other experiments he didn't know about, he might have been able to write some pamphlets that made a lot more sense, but they were really not scientifically accurate at all.

originally posted by: Type1338
"As the article says, the stones are porous so not as heavy as they look."

What an disingenuous and ridiculous comment. The Coral Castle stones on average weigh more than the pyramid stones in Egypt. The largest slab weighs 30 tons...
It's not the slightest bit disingenuous, nor is it ridiculous. You sound confused about the difference between density and weight, which reminds me of the old joke, "which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?" They have the same weight, but feathers are fluffier just as coral-based limestone is "fluffier" than say granite.

My comment in science terms refers to the low density/high porosity of limestone with origins in coral, which as the name "Coral Castle" implies is the type of stone used in the construction of that attraction. The pore spaces can take up as much as 40% or sometimes even more of the bulk volume of the limestone, as seen in this core sample which has relatively high porosity:

Strength Envelopes for Florida Rocks, see figure 2.4F

Your reply is suggesting the rocks are heavy. Yes they are heavy, I didn't say they weren't heavy. I inferred that similar sized rocks seen at other sites where the rocks are more dense would be heavier, which is absolutely true. The comment you didn't like is a reference to porosity/density.

edit on 2021930 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Yup, I agree with your reply.

Obviously he had natural intelligence and was really quite bright.

But, without training and actual advanced math skills he misinterpreted what he was seeing and probably BS'd to make up the difference, IMO.

I don't GAF about his questionable girlfriend. Nothing to do with Science or Research, just a heart grab.

edit on 9/30/2021 by MykeNukem because: F that.

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Party pooper! Debbie downer! J/K Arbi. Good idea for an OP.

There are plenty of mysteries and questions about the past without inventing new ones for the sake of it. I think if we all put as much focus and work into accomplishing our goals as Ed did, who knows what we could accomplish.

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 11:17 AM
link   

as seen in this photo of Leedskalnin with his large block and tackle (he also had a smaller block and tackle to lift the large block and tackle):

If I remember correctly, I believe part of the controversy was over that "Black Box" above the block and tackle...

What is it? What's its purpose!?

ETA: Wasn't there story about some kids watching him 'sing' to the stones and the stones moving? Kind of like the story about the Egyptians using harmonics to 'levitate' or move their stones to build the pyramids?
edit on 30-9-2021 by ByteChanger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ByteChanger

as seen in this photo of Leedskalnin with his large block and tackle (he also had a smaller block and tackle to lift the large block and tackle):

If I remember correctly, I believe part of the controversy was over that "Black Box" above the block and tackle...

ETA: Wasn't there story about some kids watching him 'sing' to the stones and the stones moving? Kind of like the story about the Egyptians using harmonics to 'levitate' or move their stones to build the pyramids?

Oh yes, far more to the story.

Among the various gears, pulleys, chains and other equipment used for hoisting the blocks there was a great amount of electrical components displayed in Leedskalnin’s tool room (26). There were glass bottles with wire wrapped around them, rolls of wire and several other components. There is no doubt electricity was one of his main fascinations, could this be a clue to part of his secret?

He must have been transmitting, otherwise, why the visit?

Leedskalnin also used a crystal radio he assembled. It was said the radio was interfering with the signals of a nearby Air Force Base (22). Agents were sent to see him about the radio signals and were impressed by the antenna he had set up. Leedskalnin said he was using the antenna so he could listen to free music and news with the use of his crystal radio (27). Was he using this radio for listening entertainment or was there more to it? Chris Dunn believes radio signals were used to vibrate the coral at resonant frequency while using an electromagnetic field to flip the polarity of the atoms so they would repel the Earth’s magnetic field (13).

universalwavetheory.wordpress.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ByteChanger

I don't know if it might have more than one purpose, but it looks like one purpose might be to secure the tops of the posts together. They would need to be securely fastened somehow, and putting a box around them is less likely to split them than drilling holes and running bolts through them, which could create focal areas for stress and split the poles under heavy loads.

That's mentioned in the opening post as part of the nonsense the book debunks, see the link called "Mystery of the Coral Castle Explained". I wouldn't be surprised if he sang to the stones, but I don't see how that could make them move. There are many myths, dispelled by the books.

a reply to: All Seeing Eye
Ed Leedskalnin was doing experiments in electricity and magnetism, leading to his writing of pamphlets like "Magnetic Current". It's not that hard to create radio interference, you can do it with a hair dryer. If Leedskalnin was working with higher power devices it could have transmitted interference further, there's nothing really paranormal about that. He could have annoyed some of his neighbors by doing that.

"Chris Dunn believes radio signals were used to vibrate the coral at resonant frequency while using an electromagnetic field to flip the polarity of the atoms so they would repel the Earth’s magnetic field (13)." That's pseudoscientific nonsense. people can levitate permanent magnets or electromagnets, but not limestone. Besides, this comment overlooks the two books that explain how Coral Castle was constructed, one written by Leedskalnin's friend who was actually there frequently and Saw Leedskalnin building it, which "pours cold water on the paranormal theories that unknown energies, alien technology, or levitation built the castle."

posted on Sep, 30 2021 @ 11:58 PM
link   

That's pseudoscientific nonsense.

Well, thank you very much in that public announcement. Think of all the countless hours of playing with magnets you have saved people. The concern and compassion you display is astounding, the way you care about people. Going out of your way to make sure folks don't follow in Ed's wasted time, ways.

But, I'm guessing your a little too late. Folks are wasting a lot of time

Boy, did this guy waist some time. Who knows?

edit on AMFridayFriday stAmerica/ChicagoAmerica/Chicago341012 by All Seeing Eye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: All Seeing Eye
In which video are radio signals used to "used to vibrate the coral at resonant frequency while using an electromagnetic field to flip the polarity of the atoms so they would repel the Earth’s magnetic field"? Cite the video and time index please. Otherwise my comment stands and you have no relevant rebuttal.

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Far as I'm aware the Coral Castle was constructed using only a block and tackle of sorts.

Even moved from one location to the other via the same method of loading the vehicle.

The guy was genius who understood and mastered loads and leverage.

"If you give me a lever and a place to stand, I can move the world." Archimedes
edit on 1-10-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join