It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Must see non American Sci Fi movies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Running low on my sci fi fix. So if you have some suggestions on non American hollywood movies or tv series to watch that are either dubbed or subtitle in English or non American english i would much appreciate it. I would prefer English language dub over subs as I often watch shows in the background but beggars cant be choosers.

Our weird speaking Canadians and Australian shouldn't be left out either ;-)

I liked the aussie tv show glitch but most of canadas shows and movies tend to be hollywood movies in the state as well. So chances I seen most of them.

I tend to stay away from the sci fi heavy dramas (walking dead ,95% drama; 5 sci fi) ,anime, cartoons, and fantasies like star wars and prefer movies more along contact , arrival (Charlie sheen) , dark skies, the forgotten , the island, fire in the sky ,etc.

I'm so desperate for a fix that I started watching sci fi short films on youtube . some are fanstatic but many are not.

edit on 09930America/ChicagoTue, 28 Sep 2021 17:09:57 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Dark Matter is a Canadian science fiction series, it got me through Covid.

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Try Final Space on Netflix.. pretty funny. British.

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 05:45 PM
link   

The Expanse

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 05:47 PM
link   

It is a really good question to ask.

Sadly the US movie industry dominated the movie industry for so long that finding movies in the English speaking world that are NOT from the US is not always that easy but here is a point to consider.

Many of the movies you think are from the US were actually largely or mostly made in the UK, the original Star Wars for example yes it was US made but it was also English made with the designer of the original storm troopers actually being English for example, the extras and a lot of the cast also being English and even the E11 Stormtrooper blaster rifles were really Sterling submachine guns that were British army surplus old deactivated fire arms with part of an old tank site stuck on the side to make them look more futuristic.

Other than that as Nickn3 point's out Canada has made some great science fiction and if you are willing to step outside the comfort zone of English made science fiction and our current political and ideological differences with there current leaders China is actually making some great science fiction as is Russia.

Also Check our European science fiction movies.

One of the most influential science fiction movies of all time (which Hitler hated as he saw it as communist propaganda) was Silent German movie Metropolis which inspired everything from C3P0 and much of the rest of Star Wars though the original was a Girl to the style of Flash Gordon (original series and later movie - notable also as Flash Gordon was one of the main influences in Star Wars design as well), it was lost for a long time but here it is on Youtube restored.

Then of course check out Italian, French and Spanish science fiction, there are some gem's we in the English speaking world have never heard of.

And of course Japan.

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

The Expanse

You know I keep hearing great review about it but I tried it and I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I will give it another try

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Russian SciFi
Attraction
Night Watch
Day Watch

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Other than that as Nickn3 point's out Canada has made some great science fiction and if you are willing to step outside the comfort zone of English made science fiction and our current political and ideological differences with there current leaders China is actually making some great science fiction as is Russia.

Oh yeah Canada does have a lot and have used them on my filter when searching for sci fi. As for China I'm skeptical because part of the reason I don't care for some of the American sci fi movies is because of the Chinese influences and the over the top action scenes like a bomb pushing the main character into safety.

Russia I would be open too, I think there was one that I saw a trailer for a while back that dealt with an Alien invasion that looked interesting . I will have to see if I remember the name or find it again.

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 05:53 PM
link   

That is one of it's problems it is hard to get into but if you manage to watch the first few episodes and get to know the characters it's one of those shows you just have to watch.

I preferred Altered Carbon and it's follow up Altered Carbon reskinned.

Still I would argue that Blade Runner - the first movie - remains one of the greatest science fiction movies of all time with the original ghost in the shell anime despite being a cartoon movie being it's equal and both being inspired by Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep a novel by Phillip K Dick, Apparently blade runner is the closest but also very different to that novel.

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

Our weird speaking Canadians and Australian shouldn't be left out either ;-)

Oh sure, we speak weird...

Want a drink of my cold 'pap' on that hot rouf before you ride off on your Harley motorciakle...

And for the record... We don't say aboot... Damn you Terrance & Phillip!!

ETA: I'm just having fun with you btw... I love my American cousins in Michigan...
edit on 28-9-2021 by ByteChanger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I had no problem getting into it, I would definitely try it again. I haven't watched any of it yet of course, but Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time is going to be on Amazon soon. My favorite book series of all time, hope they don't inject PC propaganda into it.

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 06:08 PM
link   
good one from Ukraine !!!!!!

Siren head. Official trailer (2020)

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 06:16 PM
link   
The UK TV series Utopia was brilliant and very entertaining. The US version wasn't bad either.

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

The Expanse

You know I keep hearing great review about it but I tried it and I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I will give it another try

I found The Expanse to be really well put together, good plot line, characters pretty believable and the belter's language, kinda neat. The idea near the end of the 2nd season, quite good. There is a lot of character development in the first season.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 9/28.2021 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 06:39 PM
link   
“Monsters of Man 2020“. on Prime.

Way better than I expected.
I will watch it again

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Counterpart is good (if you like parallel world type stuff), Dark was really good (atmospheric German time travel series). There's Circle which is a half-decent Korean effort, however if you like time travel, serial killer type Sci-Fi stuff, there's the excellent Signal and pretty good Tunnel, both from Korea.

And although it's really just a bunch of shorts, I would recommend Love, Death and Robots.

a reply to: LABTECH767

Metropolis is one of the all time greats, true classic

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

That is one of it's problems it is hard to get into but if you manage to watch the first few episodes and get to know the characters it's one of those shows you just have to watch.

I preferred Altered Carbon and it's follow up Altered Carbon reskinned.

Still I would argue that Blade Runner - the first movie - remains one of the greatest science fiction movies of all time with the original ghost in the shell anime despite being a cartoon movie being it's equal and both being inspired by Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep a novel by Phillip K Dick, Apparently blade runner is the closest but also very different to that novel.

Blade Runner holds up well 30 plus years later.

I did enjoy Blood Red Sky recently on Net Flix.

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 07:43 PM
link   
If you live in America you don't need to watch tv, just take a walk outside for a good dose of science fiction, zombies galore!

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 07:58 PM
link   
i guess you already have seen those:

logan's run (population controlling, AI, climate change), 1976
wargames (AI, buddhism), 1983
arpeggio (soul)
edit on 28-9-2021 by lux666 because: year added

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: REDMORGAN
The UK TV series Utopia was brilliant and very entertaining. The US version wasn't bad either.

I watched the us version and it was good. i didn't know the uk made a copy of it.

thanks i will have to check the uk one

edit on 19930America/ChicagoTue, 28 Sep 2021 20:19:07 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join