It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I noticed something on Virustotal about ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2021 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Maybe someone at ATS can point out what the deal is with this apparently malicious vendor flagged as a security issue? Is it a false positive or is somebody at the vendor up to no good. I would make this post longer, but really there's not much else to say. It looks like there is a problem, don't shoot the messenger ;-)

Virustotal --> ATS

Virustotal is a site that scans other sites for malware.

Cheers - Dave

edit on 9/27.2021 by bobs_uruncle because: added word

posted on Sep, 27 2021 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle
Maybe someone at ATS can point out what the deal is with this apparently malicious vendor flagged as a security issue? Is it a false positive or is somebody at the vendor up to no good. I would make this post longer, but really there's not much else to say. It looks like there is a problem, don't shoot the messenger ;-)

Virustotal --> ATS

Virustotal is a site that scans other sites for malware.

Cheers - Dave

Israeli based malware detection company....

posted on Sep, 27 2021 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

But why is Quttera coming up as a malicious vendor? Is it a false positive or is it really malicious that's what I am wondering?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 27 2021 @ 08:50 PM
link   

But why is Quttera coming up as a malicious vendor? Is it a false positive or is it really malicious that's what I am wondering?

Cheers - Dave

I think it's actually saying that they flagged ATS as having something malicious on the site.

posted on Sep, 27 2021 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Quttera scans your Word Press website...

ATS is not a Word Press website so it probably looks pretty strange to Quttera.

posted on Sep, 27 2021 @ 08:51 PM
link   
ATS is cursed - you didn't know this? sheesh.

posted on Sep, 27 2021 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Cheers - Dave

I think it's actually saying that they flagged ATS as having something malicious on the site.

It looks like Quttera is the board scanner ATS uses to check for malware. Might be one of those "anti-virus shows up as a virus" type things. Always good to check though ;-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 27 2021 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Ran the free scan from Quttera.com They say they “found something” and gave zero details. They were very quick to offer their service for $249/yr.

Now none of the other companies found anything...so what does that tell you?

posted on Sep, 27 2021 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Funny that my virus protection and Malwarebytes Pro find nothing.

posted on Sep, 27 2021 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: Ahabstar

I know, it's weird, maybe it's all a marketing scam... You know like create a virus and then sell the jab to get rid of the virus, but really just inject more crap to slow your system down ;-) Where have I heard that before lol

Cheers - Dave
edit on 9/27.2021 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2021 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Clearly ATS has been infected with covid. Vaccinate your computer immediately.

posted on Sep, 27 2021 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Less reputable Antivirus companies used to use the same scam to sell their service in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s.

Could be worse. It could be Bonzi Buddy. A purple ape that conned people into downloading their Adware by asking if he could be your friend while crying. I still hate that ape from working a college computer lab back in the day.

posted on Sep, 27 2021 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Its probably not malicious softwarez but a couple CVE on this version of apache and php ats runs on that makes it suspicious. I dont think ats uses the modules for any of the serious ones. Wouldnt lose sleep over it.
edit on 27-9-2021 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

EtA: yep. I just looked into it a little. Most of those scanners are actually looking for virus/malware. Quttera will check against cve. Php version is 5.3. Im running php 7.4 minimum for any development right now and 8 by years end but if that doesnt say enough, php 5.3 has been unsupported for 7 years and counting. Any cve in the last 7 years will never be fixed in 5.3 unless you compiled it into php yourself.

php eol
edit on 27-9-2021 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2021 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Uknownparadox

Wear a mask and gloves. Stay 6’ from your WIFI.

posted on Sep, 27 2021 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
a reply to: Uknownparadox

Wear a mask and gloves. Stay 6’ from your WIFI.

You have to watch out for those hex-ually transmitted diseases eh lol

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

Ran the free scan from Quttera.com They say they “found something” and gave zero details. They were very quick to offer their service for $249/yr.

Now none of the other companies found anything...so what does that tell you?
I think you probably identified the problem with Quttera.com. They give fake false positive malware results so you will hopefully buy their services to clear your system if you fall for their scam. As a result, Virustotal gives them a "malicious" rating, apparently. But I don't think Quttera.com is actually infecting people's systems with malware, looks like their sin is just being scammers.

Here's a report about them where they replied, not very competently to the first report which had results similar to what you found, false positives, but more than you got:

Avoid (Quttera Web Malware Scanner)- Continuous False Positives

This security plugin is a complete fraud.
Once installed on my website and performed a high sensitivity test it found no less than 5 MALICIOUS FILES, 8 POTENTIALLY SUSPICIOUS FILES AND THE WORST 1381 SUSPICIOUS FILES!!!!...

I am completely convinced that this plugin is a scam.
Quttera’s owners scare you with false positives and countless suspicious files with the sole aim of making you pay for disinfecting something that is not infected and fattening Quttera’s wallet.

I hope this test will save users the time lost trying to clean something from viruses that is definitely not infected.

WordPress should remove this plugin from its list
So from what I've seen, it looks like the biggest danger from Quttera is removing money from your wallet under false pretenses. I'm not convinced it's an actual malware threat to our computers. But I can see why Virustotal would flag them as bad.

posted on Sep, 28 2021 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

You researched far deeper than I did by looking for enduser experiences.

I remember having to drive to Indianapolis to a doctor’s office because he was ready to trash all our computers and service contracts because he could not print to the network printer from his office computer and we could not reach his computer by a dial up connection to his network via a switch on his fax line.

Long story short, he didn’t want our repair service contract ($500/yr) which meant my trip there cost him $900 before I even walked in the door. He had decided on his own to install Black Ice and then configured it to 100% isolation. Good thing he wasn’t using a USB mouse and keyboard because the USB ports were shut off. He made the decision that he didn’t need to be there while he drove home and ate dinner somewhere. It was another two hours before he could be reached for the Password so I could spend the 45 minutes reconfiguring everything.

Total bill: $1800. Versus about $300 for us to have a local tech make the service call for us. But he wasn’t charged for my two hour return trip. Anger issues, simple ignorance and hubris can be an expensive combination.

(post by UKDVLA removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

join