It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarettes or ice for your child

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Good on you. You should have kicked him in the nads real hard so he doesn't reproduce. Too bad that's against the law.

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 06:28 AM
link   

I would choose to leave the popsicle too. I mean which is gonna be worse for his son, the sugar cravings or the nicotine cravings?

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Lots of us are guilty of getting embarrassed and letting that embarrassment turn to anger simply because that is an easier emotion to deal with. Feeling shame is one of the worst feelings ever.

You’re definitely not the asshole here. You did something nice for the boy don’t let the father cloud that. That may well be the nicest thing he’s experienced in a quite a while. If he knew he was doing the right thing anger wouldn’t have entered the equation.
edit on 9252021 by HairForceOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 07:02 AM
link   

No!, you have both done a good turn and made a moral point to the father of the little boy, given him a lesson that while late in life for him is an important one that he has to get his priority's straight which sadly is unlikely to happen but you never know it just might do something for the way he think's and act as a wake up call.

I also applaud your bravery.

I can understand that man having no money in his pocket but given the cost of cigarettes how many meals for his son could one packet of poison for himself have provided.

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: AccessDenied

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: AccessDenied

...it takes a village to raise a child...

I absolutely LOATHE that saying! UGGHH!!! Just hate it to the very core of my being! I don't even think I could list all the reasons why without hitting the ATS word limit in a post!

Other than that...9 kids? WOW!!! That's awesome. That's a whole 'village' in itself! Maybe I should reconsider the 'village' thing!

ETA - I had a guy who used to work for me who had 14 kids! **GASP!** He retired and went on a mission for his church.

I'm not a fan of the saying either but seemed appropriate. Religion was obviously not involved in my baseball team. 😂 And 8 of them are adults ,some with children of their own, so I'm not auditioning for my own reality show, lol. I actually know of a family not far away from me that has 14 children. Wild little creatures,all of them.

For some reason none of us ever met his wife. I'm not entirely convinced she wasn't just a uterus that he hung up in the closet!

"Honey, I'm not positive, but I think another kid might have just shot out!"

Seriously though, several of this guy's kids were the same age for a couple months each year! 😲

edit on 9/25/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I can't believe how easily everybody is stepping over the fact that nobody has any right to judge somebody else's priorities.

Maybe it's the fact that it concerns a bad thing like cigarettes.

What if this story didn't involve a father and his cigarettes but a mother needing to buy something cosmetic.

You know, you don't use a lot of makeup, but without your eyeliner or some hairproduct, your going to feel really insecure....anything that isn't nessecary but you can't go without.

What if mommy promissed little jake an icecream and found out at the register that she didn't have enough money.

"I'm sorry honey, mommy can't afford to buy your icecream right now. Mommy really needs this moisterizer or she'll get a really dry skin"

Would you still be calling for her "nads" to be kicked?

I know I'm already the bad guy in this thread and I don't care but help me understand...

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Maybe it's translational thing but saying his priorities are # up is not judgement, that's a observation

Judgement would be if I said or think he is generally a bad human or father.

"I'm sorry honey, mommy can't afford to buy your icecream right now. Mommy really needs this moisterizer or she'll get a really dry skin"

Would you still be calling for her "nads" to be kicked?

Please don't imply # about me. My daughter is and will always be priority 1A.
edit on 25.9.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: keukendeur

It depends if those priorities are misguided, as a father he has a responsibility towards his son, most parents put the needs of their kids before their own. Addiction isn’t an excuse not do so.

How about we have an example of a drug addict putting their habit before feeding their kids? The children would be taken away from them and rightly so if the situation was that bad.

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
Maybe it's translational thing but saying his priorities are # up is not judgement, that's a observation

Judgement would be if I said or think he is generally a bad human or father.

Observation – I am aging

Judgement – Aging is not attractive

Observation – She is very organized.

Judgement – She is better organized than I am.

Observation - His priorities differ from mine

Judgement - His priorities are #ed up

ETA: my example wasn't about you!!

edit on 25-9-2021 by keukendeur because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul

It depends if those priorities are misguided, as a father he has a responsibility towards his son, most parents put the needs of their kids before their own. Addiction isn’t an excuse not do so.

How about we have an example of a drug addict putting their habit before feeding their kids? The children would be taken away from them and rightly so if the situation was that bad.

I hear you...but what if this father already puts everybody and everything before himself. His comfort, his sleep, his free time, his salary...and all he wants in return is his cigarettes?

Maybe the reason that his bank account is empty is because his wife ordered the third pair of shoes that month without telling him and he feels it is not his fault that his son now can't get an ice-cream.

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Did you read the OP with eyes open or closed?
How, I mean how does judgement play into her words?
The guy could not pay for it all and rather than fulfilling his promise and putting back one of the TWO packs of cigs he had he chose to crush his kid and worry about his personal addiction.
That little girl will remember what he did for the rest of her life even damned duck had not intervened.
Now she remember it another way, daddy’s a jerk who breaks promises but there are nice and caring people in the world too.
Sorry if this stings but by what you just typed, I’m glad you were not my mom.
Chew on that.....

^5 goes to ThatDamnDuckAgain!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 08:30 AM
link   
If you cannot keep the promises you make then don’t make promises. Your argument does not hold water, period!

it’s OK in your mind that the kid grows up knowing daddy does not keep promises? Really?

NM

WOW!

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: Talk to text does not understand Swamp Yankee

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Don’t mind the fleas, they don’t eat much.

You did the right thing and in my opinion that child will be better off in the future for it when she thinks back.
maybe she will learn not to make promises she can’t or won’t keep.
There is that, no?

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: Again, talk to text does not understand Swamp Yankee

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: PiratesCut
Sorry if this stings but by what you just typed, I’m glad you were not my mom.
Chew on that.....

Didn't sting at all but I am going to be chewing for a bit on me being your mom...

My legs are a bit too hairy for that role.

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Pick a gender, it’s a thing now anyway....

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: PiratesCut

I'll just stick around here wondering how people like you feel so comfortable passing judgement on a one-sided story.

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 08:54 AM
link   

That’s a lot of ifs and what nots. I could imagine other things but neither of actually know his personal circumstances so why start speculating?

I made the observation earlier that the father put his own cravings above his sons. Though I did it in a joking way.. but the point is if the father hadn’t smoked and and denied his son the ice cream because it had to much sugar that would have been different. Commendable perhaps? As it is he promised the kid the treat only to disappoint him because he couldn’t afford his own treats in the form of cigs.

The fact he’s buying two packs tells me how dependent he is on his cigs, the fact that he felt degraded or embarrassed tells me he knows it’s an issue. It’s guilt manifesting itself. Addiction is and can be a terrible thing, a vicious circle for many addicts as it’s their weakness as well their medicine.

I blame society not individuals. The mindless mob of the concrete jungle.

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Thank you for that eloquent reply and I appreciate the discussion.

Although you are probably correct about the fact that he is buying two packs and how it could be an indication of his addiction making his decision it doesn't give anybody assuming this grounds to draw any conclusion.

All we know is ThatDamnDuckAgain's account of what happened. Now from the information she provides we can conclude that it is a smaller child. Small children usually have a problem understanding concept like "soon" or "maybe"...

"But you promissed"
"I promissed we would get one if we could pay for it"

ETA: Heck we don't even know if he was buying the cigarettes for himself.

edit on 25-9-2021 by keukendeur because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 09:11 AM
link   

You are a saint.

Me? I'd have smacked his nose off for coming up to me with attitude. What a scumbag he sounds like.

I'm not a saint... I'm the devil in waiting.. :/

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 09:17 AM
link   
No I am not a saint, just trying to give some back.

Seeing others happy is a win win for me.

About your devil comment, if you're wallowing in that thought, it may become reality. Self feeding. So don't call yourself a devil, you seem to have conscious, and you are aware about things you yourself do not like you did.

Just learn from it and go from there

edit on 25.9.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join