It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snooze

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Today I had an appointment but could choose to get up a little later than normal, as I was on my own. 4-5h sleep is usually enough for me.

What I did today is hit the snooze button six times (10min intervals) in a row, it has been a long time I could do that. That led to me dreaming very lucid. Normal, I can not dream lucid. I noticed when I go to bed in daylight on a Sunday morning, this is happening. It's seldom because I have a kid and naturally I can't do this very often, but it happens often enough I started to recognize a pattern.

Has anybody noticed intenser dreams or lucid dreams after going to bed while the sun comes up? What is very similar, hitting repeated times the snooze button? It's kind of like advertisement in a movie, those seconds it takes to fumble with the alarm clock and put it on snooze. When it's over the dream continues to run and I experience it vividly.

I am now offline but am very curious if it's only me or if others noticed it, too?

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
Today I had an appointment but could choose to get up a little later than normal, as I was on my own. 4-5h sleep is usually enough for me.

What I did today is hit the snooze button six times (10min intervals) in a row, it has been a long time I could do that. That led to me dreaming very lucid. Normal, I can not dream lucid. I noticed when I go to bed in daylight on a Sunday morning, this is happening. It's seldom because I have a kid and naturally I can't do this very often, but it happens often enough I started to recognize a pattern.

Has anybody noticed intenser dreams or lucid dreams after going to bed while the sun comes up? What is very similar, hitting repeated times the snooze button? It's kind of like advertisement in a movie, those seconds it takes to fumble with the alarm clock and put it on snooze. When it's over the dream continues to run and I experience it vividly.

I am now offline but am very curious if it's only me or if others noticed it, too?

I have absolutely experienced exactly what you're talking about. For me it happens most often during daytime naps that are unplanned. Laying down on the couch, watching a show or something and drifting off...very intense dreams can occur. It's a strange phenomenon in my life. Until your thread here I wasn't certain that others experienced it as well...

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

This is pretty much "Wake Initiated Lucid Dreaming", it's a popular method to induce a lucid dream, and you did it, and then with the snooze hitting, trained your brain another 5 times to recognize a state of metacognition.

In my experience, it will be way easier for you to lucid dream in the future if you want to achieve that.

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I definitely wake up at a certain time. I have a dog to walk with in the morning. She is the best alarm clock. In addition, an absolutely predictable working day, I start it the same every time - getting up, walking the dog, morning procedures, working at the computer. Free flight after 17-00. Stable sign of health!

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 12:56 PM
link   
@TheMirrorSelf
So daytime might be a factor. I thought about possible connections to Melatonin interfering because of the daylight. It might interfere? Maybe my mind shut's down too hard for dreams to be remembered and this is the "golden hour" for dreams for me. Maybe.

@Atsbhct
I will research that further, has had a quick peak because something stuck out to me. In lucid.fandom there is talk about reality checks. I did that years ago when trying to achieve lucid dreaming, but stopped it after some time, probably forgot about it. Similar to the method where you tell yourself, the next time I am becoming consious, it's probably a dream. Thank you for bringing it into the thread.

@RussianTroll
I wake up at a certain time too. I am self employed and single mother, my day is strictly planned through. Just on the weekends where my daughter is with her father sometimes I can do this. Or today because of medical procedure, where I had to get a sitter. This was the reason I could snooze an hour, normally I would have gotten up at 6am.

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I tried to avoid posting in a row but I stumbled across the following.

3.4.8 Dream re-entry
One field study (Levitan, 1991b) explored the method of dream re-entry, which aims to enter the dream state directly from a short awakening after a dream. The dreamer is instructed to keep still and focus his or her mind on a particular activity like counting while falling asleep. Using this approach, one might enter the dream state without losing conscious awareness (this idea has ancient origins in the Tibetan dream yoga tradition, see e.g. Wangyal, 1998).

Two methods for focussing were used: “Counting” (which requires the participant to focus on 18 counting while falling asleep) and “Body” (focus on the own body while falling asleep). Dream re-entry appeared to be fairly successful (43 out of 191 attempts [23%] resulted in lucid dreams) with “Counting” method seemingly slightly more favourable than “Body” method. Notably, participants using “Counting” method were seemingly more likely to fail to return to sleep, whereas using “Body” method they were more likely to enter sleep without dream recall. However, the methodological quality of this study was low (5).

boris.unibe.ch...

The paper I linked is interesting and has many examples and techniques how to reach lucid dreaming.

I think I did both at the same time. I calculated "counted" the times I can do that until I finally have to get up and I listened into my body if I want some more rest or not.

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 01:26 PM
link   

This is hands down the easiest path to lucid dreaming. You can more easily train yourself, after having success with this technique (this family of techniques), to use the technique of telling yourself to lucid dream with more reliability.

Consciousness is crazy.

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Happens to me more and more as I get older.

Another thing I've noticed is that that depending on which way you sleep, the lucid dreams will take a different path.

If I lay a certain way, they sometimes become distressing. If I lay the other way, they are blissful and pleasant.

Left/right brain I guess.

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Just out of curiosity, if you lay on your back, are the dreams distressing/scary/more real, even if you're "in control"?

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Just to clarify for those that may not know.. "lucid" dreams are different than "vivid" dreams. A "lucid" dream is one where you become aware you are dreaming. There is almost always confusion on that point, so I think its good to always mention it in any discussion on the topic

Generally, a lucid dream is initiated when a connection is made between the the waking world and the dream world. Where, within the dream, the individual is able to "call back" to segments of our perception and neurology that normally operate while awake.

The two main approaches to precipitating a lucid dream are maintaining a thread of awareness while crossing the threshold for different brain wave patterns. Typically, this will be done through meditative practices while falling asleep. The second is through flagging events like operating lightswitches or asking "am I dreaming." The success of the this is typically related to an ability to maintain mindfulness while awake.

They are most likely to occur in states that are at least close to the patterns we experience while awake. i.e. right after falling asleep or relatively shortly preceding waking up.

Spontaneous lucid dreams can happen as well though, and I suspect most people have experienced at least one in their life. Lucid dreams tend to be short-lived in general though, as past the initial realization, we will start to run more and more processes that are typical of when we are awake leading into our brains actually shifting into a waking state.

The length of time one is able to persist in a lucid dream can be increased by most through meditative practices that enable two or more "independent" processes coexisting in our awareness. Meaning, something like breath and heartbeat and thoughts existing as discrete systems in our awareness rather than the monolithic structure that is more common.

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Ahhhhhh that's my fault. I mixed it up, wasn't careful. But I have a good excuse today

Thank you so much for pointing out the differences. Have your heard about ALIS / PALIS respectively? I found a kickstarter page about dream sharing with feedback loop devices. But I could not find anything meaninful about that headset. You can buy a manual on kickstarter about it but I could not find any photo.

I figured you might have stumbled across this in the past. I know ATS won't allow to post links so I will paste it in discord.

For the rest of ATS, sorry it's the rules:

Search WILD: Dream Dive Training Simulation, there are references to this piece of hardware.

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

If I sleep on my back, I wake myself up snoring.
It's somewhat annoying.

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Thought I'd throw in one other dream state that happens to me somewhat often. I will have something to do say in the morning. Something very mundane like take out the trash, maybe get ready, etc etc. Things that we have to take care of upon waking. So, I'll wake up, get out of bed, do those things that I need to do, and then suddenly realize (disappointingly) that at the completion, very real substantiated completion of all these mundane and mandatory tasks, I'm still asleep in bed. I think those are weird, because I think most agree that dreams are kind of trippy. They just seem not to perfectly mimic waking life. These above dreams, however, are not like that at all. They are completely indistinguishable from waking life. That's why they're so frustrating, because upon realizing I just dreamed all this crap, I ultimately still have to get up and do it "for real". It's like having to do something twice...

top topics

join