It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are losing meaningful things

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Makes me miss kentucky. Any good ole boy there could fix up an Opposum road kill for ya in 2 minutes flat. Here in the UK....butchers puked when I took a squirrel I run over in to be cleaned.

All I wanted was the brains. Jesus. Its cuz they wont sell me nuthin bigger than a leatherman....EU rules and all.

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 09:01 AM
link   

I had a couple of 20 year olds camping with me a few years back.
They had no clue how to catch a fish, how to clean a fish, or how to cook a fish...it was pretty sad.

edit on 24-9-2021 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Hell no, retired USAF married to a Brit. I am a hold-over from the Crimean War.

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

Makes me miss kentucky. Any good ole boy there could fix up an Opposum road kill for ya in 2 minutes flat. Here in the UK....butchers puked when I took a squirrel I run over in to be cleaned.

All I wanted was the brains. Jesus. Its cuz they wont sell me nuthin bigger than a leatherman....EU rules and all.

My FIL used to eat squirrel brain, I asked him how it was and he said slimy..

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I used to go out hunting with my papa. He taught me how to shoot a .22 for squirrel. I would never eat the brains though....made me feel a bit funny.

Which reminds me....anyone here ever watch faces of death on those old VHS things? Remember the monkey?????

Damn I miss U 80's.

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Which reminds me....anyone here ever watch faces of death on those old VHS things? Remember the monkey????? Damn I miss U 80's.

OMG yes I remember that!
80’s rocked!

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: cre8chaos

I'm ready with my candles, lighters, matches, water, food, library, weapons, extra batteries, cd's, tapes, walkman, lifestraws, propane,
just need to see about a generator maybe.

What I miss about the pre net age is more meaningful phone calls. A lot of people now seem to talk less on the phone or pick up less since they are used to just getting a text.
Also I miss going into the library and using the dictionary or encyclopedia to look things up.
If I have a question now it is not as fun to just do a web search.
Thinking of buying a set of encyclopedias for my library.

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 10:13 AM
link   
You know what I miss ? People being honest in what they say, do & write....the value of a firm handshake....and TRUE customer service when one has a problem with a service or business......I'm in America, not India.

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 11:41 AM
link   
At 62 it's hard to argue with my own nostalgia about things we have lost. As you stated it was more than the physical object but our interaction with it that made living a more interesting experience. We overlook the very deadly flaw that is built in to our new modernized system; dependence on electricity and lots of it. When that goes so will the lives of many who have no clue how to survive without it. That was why I got heavily involved in learning the life ways of Native Americans and other aboriginal peoples. Each learned ways perfectly suited to their environment that sustained them yet did not deplete the very things they depended on for life. This is what we have forgotten and have now become more like a horde of locusts taking everything before moving on. I agree with the climate change crowd that is not a sustainable model to live by.

The missing tactile experience is a large part of what people find unsatisfying about life today. Our bodies are weaker and our motor skills are no longer honed as finely as they once were. How many children are are taught to competently play a musical instrument nowadays? When I was a kid around 1/3 of us did. How many take up drawing or painting? Less than before and so it goes for all those enriching activities that have been replaced by video games and social media. Entertaining yet empty, we are busier than ever doing less than ever. We are not on the path to true human progress is the sole conclusion that keeps hitting me in the face.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join