It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Star Spangled Banner's story for Americans and British

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Back in the day there were prisoners of war on both sides. The American prisoners were kept in chains and filth on a British ship stationed about 1000 yards off the shore of Ft. Henry.

Frances Scott Key (a lawyer) arranged a parlay for a possible trade of prisoners of war. He went to the British ship to negotiate and it was agreed a one for one trade of prisoners could be made. Frances told the American prisoners they would be freed this very day.. Unfortunately when Frances went back above board there was an Admiral who greeted him and just about 2 hours away the entire British Navy who the admiral said would shell Ft. Henry until the Fledgling American flag was taken down. He did not care there were women and children in the Fort, all he cared about was lowering the flag and a surrender.

The first video is the American story and the second video is of a Britt listening to the story youtu.be...

youtu.be...

edit on 727thk21 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I'd love to watch the video's, but im Irish. I know if i do i'll maybe get banned, definitely be in a humour for the day.
Actually i'll watch them this evening when im done with the World for the day.

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Can you imaging being a British prisoner....having to drink tea and eat spotted dicks.

I'd rather kiss a rattlesnake.

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 08:52 AM
link   

That's a beautiful, amazing and powerful video. I graduated from West Point, the oldest constantly active military posting in the United States, founded by George Washington. As a Plebe there I was made to remember all 4 verses of The Star Spangled Banner (before going there I was not aware that there were more than one, as probably most are not either). Still, through all that, I never knew the story of that song until I watched that video. I wish that more people did. If you can hear of the sacrifice behind those words, then how could you not believe that this is the land of the free, the home of the brave. I fear that people have forgotten that, and that others have rushed in to take the place of the void found there. There is coming a time when good people will have to stand together once more and remember the proud roots from where and when we came. We cannot fail the sacrifice of those who laid down their lives so that our flag might fly. We cannot see it laid defeated upon the ground...

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TheMirrorSelf

Thanks for the reply as it is unfortunate that more will not take the time to listen and learn. I always had thought Frances was on land watching the battle... I was wrong...... Probably why he survived the shelling ?

new topics

top topics

join