It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas ham shortage looms due to abattoir restrictions, warn supermarkets and meat industry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 08:40 AM
link   
www.abc.net.au...

Christmas ham could be off the menu for some this year with a forecast shortage of produce in the lead-up to the holiday season. Workforce shortages across multiple agricultural sectors due to COVID-19 restrictions will cause supply chain issues and could result in supply for products like ham, lamb, fruit and vegetables not meeting demand.

I always figured if Australia ever had food issues it would be from drought.
this is covid related more than anything (as far as I can tell).

any Aussies here to enlighten us?

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 08:42 AM
link   
My wife is already out the door.

a reply to: ElGoobero

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 09:25 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: PiratesCut

And im right behind her !! We live in Florida keys and when it’s a shortage , we really hurt !! I’ve got a fair
Share in the freezer , but if we get whacked with a hurricane , it will suck…. I just told my husband we need an extra ham !!! .. LOL 😂

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I hope the shortage doesn't come to the USA. HAMS are a big deal for Thanksgiving and Christmas here in the Midwest.

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I hope not too, but I would guess there will be shortages of ham and turkey and just about everything else.

Remember, its the US, nothing ever gets better........its just been getting worse since I returned in the 1970's

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Turkeys wander through my yard almost every day and there is a Hog Farm not far from here so I’m not so worried.
My son-in-law’s will bring home some bacon and hams!
It will even walk here, well maybe it’ll be a truck. 🤷‍♂️

But I’m good.......😎

a reply to: TonyS

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Guess it will be a "Christmas with the Kranks". Instead of hickory honey ham, you get smoked trout....

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Worst news ever for Turkeys 🦃

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Not really a mystery. When you shut down industries virtually world wide then shortages occur. Farmers don’t sell hogs as there is nobody buying them. No buyers as nobody to process them. No drivers to deliver them. Nobody to stock them. No customers can afford what is available so retailers don’t order more.

A vicious circle. But these industries are open ? Some processors are but at greatly reduced capabilities as workers are tested, positive sent home. Others are too frightened to even go to work. The government’s are shutting down office workers yet expect essential workers to work while telling them you are all going to die due to unvaccinated or from break thru cases.

They created their own mess when they preached vaccines from one admin were bad and don’t take them then changed when they took over to it’s the only way to survive. They are so stupid that they have no idea of the absolute chaos they created simply to get elected

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Happening in the UK too - I don't quite buy into the hysteria yet but meat may run out in two weeks and Christmas dinner being canceled due to not enough CO2 in the UK for stunning animals prior to slaughter and packaging.

A couple of fertiliser plants were given the green light to re-open earlier this week to trry and adress the shortage but may be too little, too late.

Reuters - UK meat industry warns some firms have just five days CO2 supply
edit on 22-9-2021 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 01:37 PM
link   
speakin of Christmas in Ozland

Pass me some more of that pud!

I bought some Auntys premade puds from an import market here and they were good

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: bastion

back to the ol' slittin the throat?

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Nah, we got the Chinese hams now, they own Smithfield now most hams are from them,

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 01:40 PM
link   
In California I have heard that bacon and ham may be in very short supply owing to a new regulations for humane treatment of farm animals. I am not sure if this has been resolved yet.

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Within just two weeks, a four pack of bacon was around $12.00 at Costco. It's now $21.00+!!!

And it could possibly be just me, but I've noticed that pork tastes A LOT more 'porky' than it used to; its tougher too. I marinated some center cut pork chops for two days and they still cooked up like the sole of a loggers boot.

Price is higher and quality lower. I can totally forego the ham.

(*We should be harvesting wild boar considering that their population is exploding daily.) 🐗

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany

back to the ol' slittin the throat?

That'd be illegal in the UK and Europe under animal rights grounds. Animals have to be pre-stunned, though there's exceptions on religious grounds.

I'm not sure why a different gas can't be used in the canisters instead but it gives the government an excuse to bail out bilionaires.

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Based on killing chickens and watching livestock being killed 'old school' it is humane in my opinion. You do it fast and they don't know what's happening and barely feel it after the initial slice since its the jugular.

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 03:13 PM
link   
all about the steamed hams from Albany for me…….

originally posted by: carewemust
I hope the shortage doesn't come to the USA. HAMS are a big deal for Thanksgiving and Christmas here in the Midwest.

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Pre stun, you mean with a ball peen hamma like they used to do?
The guys swingin hammas all day had popeye arms

top topics

join