It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Cloud" is anything but a cloud. It is a Supermax prison.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 07:12 PM
link   
It takes an enormous amount of square footage, water to cool the servers, power to run the pumps and servers, lots of fence with barbed wires and lots of guards with guns for day to day operations of the "Cloud".

It's a prison but not a prison as we know it. Instead of physical bodies, it imprisons what is in our minds. It houses all our history, thoughts, finances, medical history and it hides all crimes committed by the guards, prison wardens and anyone else who created it.

The cloud has everything. Every thought online, email, phone call. Only thing it does not have or even want is physical human bodies. It has no use for actual humans.

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I always thought of it as a big library.
*Bubble burst
💥

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 07:35 PM
link   
There is no "Cloud"
That name is merely a marketing ploy that sounded "good"
Same old data centers that have always been around .
Same old equipment in those data centers .

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I would disagree on it being a prison but more the real world application of the "ministry of truth" from the book 1984

a place ripe for altering, deleting, and removing information / history/ facts to fit whatever the powers that be want.
with the parallels to "Fahrenheit 451, the library from the movie rollerball, and other dystopian stories".

all with the ease that even the ministry of truth wish they had.

add to it how easy it would be to wipe out all that info like what happened to the great library of Alexandria , the books burned by spanish priests from the Aztecs/Incas, and during the dark ages.

yes you could alter information (hell done all the time by main stream media) , but given (currently) the multiple sources like libraries (yes printed books who knew) and all the independent sites on the internet it is quite hard.

IMO anything with only one storage place is a danger to all

scrounger

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
It has no use for actual humans.

If not for actual humans what good would all that cloud data be?

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Yes the data is on a server in a room somewhere stationary. The user, us, we are the cloud... accessing the data from different devices from anywhere moving from state to state.

originally posted by: Gothmog
There is no "Cloud"

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 07:49 PM
link   

There is no "Cloud"

What is new is peoples preference to send all their life's data to those same old data centers instead of keeping it secure in their own personal hard drives.

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 07:57 PM
link   
There is no way possible to keep it personal unless one fishes and hunts, get water from a well and lives off the land. They capture EVERYTHING online. All of it. Even this comment. All captured. Almost nobody has the ability to escape it. If you use it; captured.

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

for a good read : " when-sysadmins-ruled-the-earth"

craphound.com...

journey down the 'what-if' story line with Corey ..

edit on 21-9-2021 by BeamRider427 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

Would you say it's almost like a web?

edit on 9 by Mandroid7 because: Sp

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 08:25 PM
link   

There is no "Cloud"

This^^^
They know the average person has no idea how "The Cloud" works, so it's easy to BS people. Still, there's a LOT of data stored on those servers. Data that's too easy to access by the wrong people.

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

its much more that that

they have though quite clever marketing and (as you stated) BS people that their "data" is better secured in an PRIVATE company server off site.

hell they now are convincing (and in case of gaming forcing) people to not store it on your own computer/device at all but in "the cloud"

even multi mega corporations , businesses (of all types) and government (private library of congress anyone).

i am old enough to remember the term "backing up your data" on disks, another hard drive and portable hard drive (depending on the tech of the time).
only big companies had a private secondary server off site for this and/or hired a private company to do so

so now those existing servers who (for the most part) acted as a "transit station" for movement of data now holds all of it for you .

added those servers that were many sources/companies are condensing into only a few mega servers and added "fun" the government has its own scooping up everything for later use (another topic for another time).

with the added insult to injury people are OPENLY WELCOMING it to their own future folly

scrounger

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 08:39 PM
link   

There is no "Cloud"

It's much worse though.
There are masive data centers going up in my state.
Complete with their own sub stations, employing like 10 people and being sold to the public as new job creators.
Built by out of state workers and often given exemption to property taxes.
It's insane.
Even more insane is looking into these tech companies.
Take Facebook for example...made a publicly traded, "private" company the same day congress shuts down the darpa Lifelog facebook-like program.
I have suspicions that most, if not all "tech" companies are just spook fronts.
FB, Samsung,Amazon, etc...
Just look at their privacy behavior.
It's about time to cut the cord all together.

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: fringeofthefringe
Yes the data is on a server in a room somewhere stationary. The user, us, we are the cloud... accessing the data from different devices from anywhere moving from state to state.

There is no "Cloud"

Which could already be done.

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

There is no "Cloud"

This^^^
They know the average person has no idea how "The Cloud" works, so it's easy to BS people. Still, there's a LOT of data stored on those servers. Data that's too easy to access by the wrong people.

Amazing how some folks believe that it is stored in "satellites".

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 08:45 PM
link   

edit on 9/21/21 by Gothmog because: NVM

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 09:04 PM
link   

There is no "Cloud"

This^^^

The main super max is behind a National Guard unit in Utah. NSA Center. I know because I was in the NG unit and use to stare at it from the patio of the unit. Only Guard unit I was ever in that had it's own outdoor patio. The server warehouse was massive with barbed wire and guards. Years later I talked to someone who worked there. He said there is also a backup for that super max. He was high ranking but just laughed when I asked where it was located. He said if I knew that I would be dead basically.

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

Never used da cloud, but always loved to look at them.... Head up my friend you can see them as well.

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets

There is no "Cloud"

This^^^

The main super max is behind a National Guard unit in Utah. NSA Center. I know because I was in the NG unit and use to stare at it from the patio of the unit. Only Guard unit I was ever in that had it's own outdoor patio. The server warehouse was massive with barbed wire and guards. Years later I talked to someone who worked there. He said there is also a backup for that super max. He was high ranking but just laughed when I asked where it was located. He said if I knew that I would be dead basically.

That's just a data center....
A "server farm" just like any other.
Nothing that wasn't there prior to 2000 .
And , yes , there are backups.

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Ok, it's clear there are some real beginners here in the world of IT.

Let me explain what the "cloud" is.

Prior to "the cloud" there was two places a company can physically store their physical and virtual computers.

a) on-premises in their own datacenter
b) or a shared ("co-lo") datacenter.

In the beginning, nearly every company had their own datacenter, even if some only had a closet to store their computers in. When VMware broke the x86 virtualization barrier in the late 90s, virtual computing for x86 architecture (think Linux and Windows) became available. Virtualization meant that instead of installing an operating system like Windows on an x86 computer you installed something called a "hypervisor", which is really an operating system itself, but it's designed to run multiple operating systems independently and "virtually", tricking the operating systems into thinking they had access to physical hardware when in reality the hardware itself was also virtual.

Why is this important? Most of the time computers are idle and they waste power and resources. With virtualization we can now run many computers, virtually, on the same single piece of hardware. This opened up the possibility for massive computer growth. In the early days of virtualization you could run 3-5 different computers on a single piece of hardware, pretty impressive. Today you can run 20-100 or more! This rapid increase in computer density allowed for exponential computer growth which led to companies using computers more and more.

The exponential computer usage led to giant datacenters being built for companies whose business had nothing to do with computers. Take a large manufacturer, for example. They make things, a lot of physical things. They need computers to run their business, but their business is not computers, it's making and selling things.

This is where the "cloud" comes in. Around 2010 companies started to realize that the cost of maintaining a datacenter was had become their largest operating expense. They had to do something about it. In fact, Amazon, Inc. owned the largest datacenter in the world and all they did was run a storefront and ship things! With their giant IT department fast becoming a true technology leader by the shear size and scope of their operation, they envisioned and built a business around selling their own computer processing power. Amazon Web Services (the largest cloud provider today) was born.

Soon other companies (IBM, Oracle, Google, Apple, Microsoft) would start their own cloud services.

Now, for those of you who think "cloud" is just a marketing gimmick, you're wrong. Dead wrong. In fact, it tells me a LOT about how much you think you know about IT.

The Cloud has been the next largest impact to IT since virtualization because it ENABLES companies to massively downsize their IT departments and throw away their datacenters by moving their applications to AWS, Azure, GCN, etc. In fact, I would argue it has been an even larger impact than virtualization!

Today, if you are any size company and you are not using the cloud (hosted services) and running your own datacenter you're thinking with an IT mindset of 20 years ago.

Now, if anyone would like to know the future of IT, I'll tell you that as well.

signed,
someone in charge of a Fortune 100's IT strategy and roadmap

top topics

<<   2 >>

join