It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we had technology for personal force fields...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 06:22 AM
link   
...the science is not important or how it works, the premise is this:

There's a device invented to carry around that will protect the wearer from any high energy inputs that could harm the wearer. It would not protect from like a high distance fall, but would protect against fire, chemicals, physical force like bullets and knifes (...)

I am interested in your opinions, so I will give mine too.

Would you agree to make this technology public or keep it secret?
-> I would tend towards making it public, there are some obstacles though, that would depend on the technology. Like is is affordable for everyone and is there enough to satisfy demand of the population to make it fair. No remote disable option.

In a way it's just like with guns or knifes, can be used for sports, hobby, cooking, collecting or fighting. Same here, the shielding device would allow evil people to enjoy protection if they have the tech and the victims do not, or do not have access to it.

What are your thoughts?

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Is the forcefield invisible? Place one in the middle of the road and watch the chaos unfold...
Iam not sure i would trust people with this tech, but i would rather that it be public than it only belongs to the evil people in the top

If humans learn to love and respect each other and our differences, this could be a very usefull tech. The way things are now, people would just find ways to exploit this tech for personal gains and pleasure.

Make it public.
edit on 20-9-2021 by ToLiveIsToDie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Not a lot to go on, but, no, I would not make it public if it was my choice.

I'd make it MANDATORY.

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Everyone or no-one.

With a device like that one person could rule the world.

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Comes to mind a lightweight full body faraday swimsuit...thing

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 11:22 AM
link   

So what does Law enforcement or military action look like ?

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Ahh, the rose coloured glasses again. It's exactly the same as guns. If only good people had guns there would be less killing. Now imagine a fundamental terrorist with one of these. No need to blow himself up, just walk around with a weapon killing people with no chance of anyone, never mind about law enforcers, no one could stop him.
It aint the goodies that you should worry about, it's the baddies.

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Ahh, the rose coloured glasses again. It's exactly the same as guns. If only good people had guns there would be less killing. (...)
It aint the goodies that you should worry about, it's the baddies.

Sometimes I wonder if you even read the threads or if you just react to the title. That's what the thread is for, discussing, and your points were brought up in the OP.

Have & share your opinion the way you want of course.

posted on Sep, 20 2021 @ 11:32 PM
link   

It’s an interesting question. I’d say make it available to the public… I’d rather it be like the personal force field they found in sg Atlantis where it made the wearer invincible to everything.

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: aoi3610

Everyone or no-one.

With a device like that one person could rule the world.

Until the batteries ran out.

It's like those wonderful space opera stories where people use nanotech to reengineer their spaceship while hurtling through the void. Then I can't get the TV remote control to work properly because my son used it with jam on his fingers.

edit on 21-9-2021 by Whodathunkdatcheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 12:56 AM
link   

This was already explored in the old 'Natacha'-comic, where a professor invents a BELT that produces such a field (though their version WOULD protect you from high falls - and why not? Why an arbitrary, illogical limitation? What we call UFO ships, but they might call 'Beamships', have a force field around them to protect from asteroids, but also to isolate from a planet's gravity field and effectively everything around them, with adjustable vibration frequency that allows many things, like levitation and even being 'repulsed' by the planet the way water 'repulses' a cork, so going to space would happen the same way - just letting the planet's magnetic field and atmosphere push you out).

I have nothing to add that the comic didn't explore, so I recommend reading it. The trouble is, I don't know if there's an english version of it, but if you search for 'Natacha' and 'professor' and 'belt', I am sure.. well, let me try.

Phew, I didn't realize there were SO many 'Natashas' and 'Natachas' in the world. Anyway, you can find the comic with these searchwords, I even found a download link (not sure if it works, didn't test it), but I am not sure if it's PD or not.

Natacha la ceinture du Cherchemidi
Natasha de riem van Proffessor Van Dyffuus

I am trying to avoid using the word 'Natasha' because of what it spells backwards.

I suggest reading the comic if you can, it's pretty fun an adventure, and it really explores some of the possibilities of such a belt. Understandably, they don't make it public.

To answer the question, I don't think it would really make a difference, because it's the old icebreaker problem. The thicker the ice, the stronger the icebreaker, then the ice becomes thicker, icebreaker even stronger, etc. It will never end.

I mean, either everyone has such a field, so no one can use it to oppress someone else (because the victim has it, too), or no one has it, so nothing specific happens. If only a certain group has it, then that would make that group dominate the world pretty easily, so to level the playing field, everyone should have everything everyone else has.

Of course the world doesn't work like that, which is why it's in quite a mess (among other reasons).

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Shoujikina

Why an arbitrary, illogical limitation?

For me it's not illogical because a force field can only do so much. When you fall the inertia comes from within your body, bullets come from outside. Just like a knights armor did not prevent injury from falls. Well they might have actually made the fall worse I can imagine. That's why I typed out the high fall exclusion.

I checked out the Natacha comic, do you mean the Tom Thumb one? The thread came a little short and from my belly as I just was fed up with the daily Biden and mrna vaccine / anti mrna vaccine threads, in hope of a little distraction for the others too.

The theoretical force field could help preventing other injuries, not just people on people. Think animals, think construction work, bike accidents and similar.

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Might make automobile and plane crash fatalities a lot less.

But if the science is not important, you are still going to require an immense portable power source to make it work.

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Or we fantasize into Black Panther tech, where the kinetic force itself is delivering the energy. I am not sure if that violates physical laws, probably it violates a few.

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Piezoelectricity and certain solid materials such as crystals might tick the box i suppose.

Not quite up to Vibranium but we can squeeze them and get a current

edit on 22-9-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join