It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does it never end

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Wednesday morning it was nice and cool, but it was supposed to hit a high of 92, so I decided to get some mowing done before it got hot. I got the front and back done, then there is a strip beside the house and fence line that's about 12 ft wide 150 ft long and I usually do it last. So, I'm pushing the mower and paying more attention to the fence than the mower. I'm just on autopilot, checking out the trimming that needs to be done and since I have a huge Maple tree in my back yard, I'm always having to pull up new little trees before they get too big and start messing with the fence.

Then I stepped in a sinkhole. Not very big, maybe a foot across but it was also about 8 - 10 inches deep.
Ankle goes POP.
I go down cussing.

I'm sitting on the ground and can already feel my boot getting tight, so I get up, hobble into the house and get it off.
That was a whole new adventure in pain.

My left ankle is at least twice it's normal size and turning purple. I hobble into the kitchen and get an ice pack and while I'm sitting there, my wife comes through the house, takes one look and says "You need to go to the hospital "
Now, I don't do hospitals unless I'm bleeding from the eyes or there is a bone sticking out, so I say "I'll be fine, just let me get the swelling down and it'll be ok "
So, all of Wednesday, I'm getting around the best I can [ Which was not very well ] and my wife kept saying "Go to the hospital ".
Thursday pretty much the same thing.

Friday morning, I wake up and without thinking, swing my legs out of bed, put both feet on the floor and stand up. For a couple of seconds anyway.
Left ankle said " nope " and promptly deserted me.
I fell back into to bed cussing a blue streak. I'm laying there holding my left leg and my wife wakes up, looks at me and says [ in that tone you DO NOT argue with ]
"You are going to get dressed, get in the damn car and WE ARE GOING TO THE HOSPITAL ".
Now, anyone who has been married more than 5 minutes knows the only reply to that is "Yes ma'am "
Long story short, I broke my left ankle and tore some muscles. Now I'm stuck in a cast, walking with crutches for the next few weeks.

edit on 18-9-2021 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

When you get to feeling better, fill in that hole. And damnit man, listen to your wife, if you don't, and she ends up being right, as was the case this time, you only give ammo to the "I told you so" talk that will take place every time she does something wrong. (they tend to bring up the past and shame you into the talk being about how bad you are, not what they just did, I'm not sure how they do it, but it's effective and dangerous. ) But your final answer was the correct one. "yes dear".

Hope you heal fast.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 08:23 AM
link   

That totally SUCKS!!

Tore some "tendons"? Or, tore some muscles? Muscles heal. Tendons don't heal, and often require surgery to fix. Hope it's just muscles.

Get better!

Oh...and listen to your wife! Bad ju-ju happens when you don't! They don't know everything, but failing to obey can be far worse than any injury, and can result in years of mental anguish!

edit on 9/18/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Dead on😂

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Thanks for the post! Sorry about that, man…

Quick question: which hurt worse—your injury or the bruise to your ego when the wife basically said ‘told ya so!’

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I should re phrase that. I tore muscle mostly, but the Doc said there are likely micro tears in the tendons and walking on it for 2 days didn't exactly help.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I already got the "I told you so"....but not in words. You know when they just look at you with head tilted and both eyebrows raised and you just know what they're thinking ?
That.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 08:37 AM
link   

So sorry!

I suggest a knee scooter. Crutches are a pain in the underarm and not very stable.

Knee scooters can be fun as well as more stable and don't kill the armpits.

I bought one when I had foot surgery and have loaned it out 3 times since. My BFF's daughter has it now, she tripped and broke her heal. My BFF says she can't keep up with her as she buzzes around the house.

Get well soon!

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Thoughtcrime

Both are equally painful.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

I've seen those ! I have a friend who had to have part of his foot removed because of diabetes and he had one. He zipped around like a kid on a skateboard.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 08:46 AM
link   
WOW, Sorry dude that sucks.
Ankles can be the worst of pain.
Don’t shy away from pain killers, there is no reason to suffer.
Don’t play the tough guy hero!
I know, been there done that.

Wishing you a speedy recovery....

Cheers......😎

PS: I call my bride of near 40 years, “The Sarge”.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 08:59 AM
link   

You must be getting old like me. I rolled both my ankles while playing soccer about a month apart at the begining of spring this year. One was almost certainly fractured but i refused to go to the hospital. I just bought some nice compression socks and air casts off scamazon.
edit on 18-9-2021 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Yeah, sorry, I was with you until you said you could not get back to putting at least some weight on it.

I stepped off the porch and my ankle went pop, pop, pop and I did not go down but managed to get out to the car on it. We were packing literally the very last things to head out to my folks' for Christmas so I did not have time to indulge in little things like ice and elevation. I figured I'd just stepped on the side of my foot like I'm prone to, and told my husband I'd be fine. We got to Sam's where we were purchasing some items to help feed the relative army. I did not yet feel equal to the task of hobbling inside because unlike normal, the pain had not faded.

So I stayed in the car while husband and son went in. By the time they got back out, I had concluded that something was way wrong in the ankle and we should probably get a doctor to look at it. I could put some weight on it ... just, but the pain wasn't going away.

Let me tell, trying to find anyone to deal with an ankle injury at 3:45pm on the last Friday before Christmas weekend is not fun ...

Long story short, we ended up in the ER because no one else we could find would do anything without an x-ray, it was in that category.

I ended up on crutches for several days with a severe ankle sprain. My foot swelled up enough that we had to buy a pair of slippers 2 sizes larger than normal to accommodate it.

So, yeah, I was right with you until you mentioned not being able to put any weight on that foot, and that's when I said ... Nope. I'm with your wife. I could at least put some weight on mine.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Twinsies.
Last weekend I was outside with my dog that we keep on a tie when outside to do her business because there is way too much traffic on the road. Well she happily brought me a rotten apple off a nearby tree. Me, not thinking, went to chuck it into a nearby stand of trees and off she bolted after it. I didn't realize that she had wound her tie up behind my right foot. I felt it go tight around my ankle and my foot stayed in place but my ankle shifted.
I won't lie,I almost passed out. I crawled back into the house.
Long story short,after a week, it's not broken but ugly purple and yellow bruises,and still swollen. I can put a bit of weight on it to walk but I still limp. Definitely tore something. I don't do hospital's at all. I figure since it's clearly not broken there isn't much they can do. I wrap it up through the day while I hobble around and elevate it when I can.
Just sucks because it prevents me from doing my regular routine and can't walk my dog right now.
Hope you feel better soon.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Wednesday morning it was nice and cool, but it was supposed to hit a high of 92, so I decided to get some mowing done before it got hot. I got the front and back done, then there is a strip beside the house and fence line that's about 12 ft wide 150 ft long and I usually do it last. So, I'm pushing the mower and paying more attention to the fence than the mower. I'm just on autopilot, checking out the trimming that needs to be done and since I have a huge Maple tree in my back yard, I'm always having to pull up new little trees before they get too big and start messing with the fence.

Then I stepped in a sinkhole. Not very big, maybe a foot across but it was also about 8 - 10 inches deep.
Ankle goes POP.
I go down cussing.

I'm sitting on the ground and can already feel my boot getting tight, so I get up, hobble into the house and get it off.
That was a whole new adventure in pain.

My left ankle is at least twice it's normal size and turning purple. I hobble into the kitchen and get an ice pack and while I'm sitting there, my wife comes through the house, takes one look and says "You need to go to the hospital "
Now, I don't do hospitals unless I'm bleeding from the eyes or there is a bone sticking out, so I say "I'll be fine, just let me get the swelling down and it'll be ok "
So, all of Wednesday, I'm getting around the best I can [ Which was not very well ] and my wife kept saying "Go to the hospital ".
Thursday pretty much the same thing.

Friday morning, I wake up and without thinking, swing my legs out of bed, put both feet on the floor and stand up. For a couple of seconds anyway.
Left ankle said " nope " and promptly deserted me.
I fell back into to bed cussing a blue streak. I'm laying there holding my left leg and my wife wakes up, looks at me and says [ in that tone you DO NOT argue with ]
"You are going to get dressed, get in the damn car and WE ARE GOING TO THE HOSPITAL ".
Now, anyone who has been married more than 5 minutes knows the only reply to that is "Yes ma'am "
Long story short, I broke my left ankle and tore some muscles. Now I'm stuck in a cast, walking with crutches for the next few weeks.

ouch! I can feel the pain
hope you get healed and feeling better asap!!

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The key is REST! Do what the doctor says to the best of your ability. Learn how to widdle or something you can do with your hands.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Hopefully that'll heal quick,Guess that's one of those things that happen sometimes,but it always sucks.Hate to think what my wife would have said after that,Might have thought about suicide not to have listened to all the I told you,you never listen.Hope it don't come back to bother you as arthritis,I regret all the dirt bike days when I was young.

top topics

join