It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A story about a vintage video that has huge knowledge in it.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This video below which I‘ve previously posted here is an oldie but goodie and I now put it up as an OP.
It may seem corny now but it is spot on.

You’ll learn more about Sea Scallops watching this than you can imagine.

I’ve posted it again with a story for those who missed it and who may very well find it fascinating.

Watching Scallops swim is hilarious BTW!

I remember the green and white striped tents seen in the video.

The boat the Explorer also featured in the video, sadly, no longer exists but I fished on her and the other 3 boats the man owned. It was known as the Marter Fleet.
Another boat in the fleet the Navigator was lost with all hands in Dec. 1977 as I’ve stated here elsewhere.

When it comes right down to it the only things that really changed aboard these boats since 63 was navigation tools and a more efficient and faster cargo winches which hauled the drags over the rail.

Again, sadly, the new, “modern” steel scallopers took a step backwards in regard to cargo winches.

At some point I’ll go deep in too old navigation methods as well but for now I’ll just toss in a teaser.

I’m sure some of you know what LORAN is so I’ll just keep things simple.

Loran displayed two sets of numbers, one gave you your Latitude, north, south as in 40 degrees north latitude.
The other set of numbers gave you Longitude, east, west as in 70 degrees west longitude.

These numbers corresponded to imaginary lines drawn on a marine navigational chart.

Today Loran has been replaced by GPS and the Loran towers that broadcasted the signals have recently been decommissioned.

We navigated by watching the numbers on the Loran as they rise and fell depending on which way the boat was heading.

Cross bearing navigation was exhausting. Again, this takes much explanation to describe....that later.

I often left the wheelhouse absolutely exhausted at watch end!
Not a physical exhaustion but a mental one.

My body may not have hurt in ways it would after 6 grueling hours on deck but my brain was well and truly rung out.

I have so much I want to get on record. So much!

My career spanned the end of a fishing era and I see it’s story being lost in the pages of time.

I hope I can do a little at least to keep some of it alive and if I do well enough maybe educate but more importantly to me, make people smile and enjoy learning about the sea.

Thank you everyone for all the kind replies I have so far received.
While I am no way a professional writer I promise to continue to do my best!

Don’t be afraid to criticize or make suggestions.
Even if it may sting me for a minute I still take them seriously and try to continually improve.

While watching this fun video you’ll come to understand why I wrote what I did about it....enjoy!

Thanks again everyone!!!’

Here is the video, “The Pearl of the Atlantic“ circa 1963.

m.youtube.com...

Cheers.......DaPirate. 😎

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: words

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: info

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: PiratesCut

They move so quick! I thought they had intermittently sped up the video. I have always been extremely fascinated by commercial fishing and I don't really know why so I will always be looking for your stories and stuff.

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Glad you enjoyed it and my stuff!
I put effort in to continually improving what I write and present here.
Right now I’m struggling with picture formatting so I can’t post pics and stuff yet but when I can....oh boy!
Much to learn.

Fun, fun, fun.

Thank you for your kind words and reply!!!

Cheers.......😎

a reply to: Chalcedony

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Cool. Thanks for posting. Went to youtube to get a description on your vid and this one came up in the suggestions. Thought you'd like it.

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 03:32 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's a couple posts that might help you with formatting. Top one is mostly for formatting posts and second one is embedding videos.

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Thank You. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️s for you!

I’ve seen this but just watched it again.

I love vintage fishing videos and have seen hundreds.

Scary-thing? More than few videos from my day are now
considered vintage.

It’s one of the things driving me to record my memories.

That and the fact that every single one of the many wooden beam trawlers I began on are now gone.

Chit, I’m getting old. How the heck has this happened?

I just turned 20 last week right?

Cheers.....😎

a reply to: ColeYounger

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this Chalcedony!

This is a big learning curve for me but I’m slowly making progress and having much fun doing it!

One day I’ll be posting real quality stuff.

Onwards and upwards.....

Thanks again!

PS
Those links.....WOW!!’
That’s much to digest.....WOW!
LOL.....I can’t thank you enough!!!

a reply to: Chalcedony

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: PS

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Chit, I’m getting old. How the heck has this happened?

I'm so old, if I woke up in the morning with no aches and pains, I'd be afraid I died in my sleep!

top topics

join