It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are your future thoughts of inflation on food products ONLY

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Due to all the horrible weather here PLUS inflation , we are now paying over 3 bucks for a head of lettuce.

As long as governments are printing Monopoly money, inflation is expected. Cut-off point of inflation will be when people just start when people can only afford just enough food on the table once a day. We already see it here in this country. Rice balls and kimchi at dinner time is quite common now, even in my household, but with a bit of leeway because I do make pizza often.
But really what are your thoughts of food prices these days in your country ?

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Thoughts?

Buy a ton of it now before it is rationed or unavailable.

That is what I think.

Buy rice in 50 pound bags and mylar / oxy absorber it. Same with pasta, corn grits, oats. Stockpile canned meats etc.
edit on 14-9-2021 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Energy, gasoline, and cars are also currently seeing inflation in the U.S. But yeah, food is up there in price as well. I've noticed it when I shop.

I think it's going to be good for people on SSI and/or VA compensation. They are going to get a COLA of 5.1% or more and I read that inflation should drop by more than half next year.

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I'm a thinkin Depression style rationing and soup lines .
"And May Your God Go With You" (Dave Allen)
edit on 9/14/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Thoughts?

Buy a ton of it now before it is rationed or unavailable.

That is what I think.

Buy rice in 50 pound bags and mylar / oxy absorber it. Same with pasta, corn grits, oats. Stockpile canned meats etc.

By the way, if you eat sardines, please stock on them. The canned sardines processed in Thailand just went up 20 cents ( 20 yen ) a can the other day. Why, there is a shortage of sardines now in the ocean.

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Since I do all the grocery buying (wife has heart and lung issues), I've noticed food prices have shot up by 15-25% overall. What used to cost me $140 every two weeks or so, is now costing more like $160-$180. Hamburger is up 20%, chicken is up anywhere from 10% to 40% dependent on supplier. Some pork products have floated upwards from 10% to 50% like tenderloin, but sausages have remained the same. Canned goods that cost 99 cents are now $1.50. Vegetables and fruits have gone up 10% to 33%. Potatoes have gone up higher, from $2.99/10lbs to $4.99/10lbs. Milk, eggs and other dairy products have gone up about 25%-33%. Pet foods for cats has gone up about 15%, but dog food has gone up as much as 50% in some cases. Paper towel and toilet paper have gone up around 25%. I avoid processed meat and try to limit my intake of "soylent green in the mix" products.

I can give lots of examples, but that's probably not necessary. I think we are all seeing much larger increases than the legacy mockingbird media is telling everyone. The last I saw on the glass tit, was a 2.5% increase and I laughed because it's an order of magnitude higher. BTW, I am talking about Southern Ontario Canada.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 9/14.2021 by bobs_uruncle because: spelling

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I have noticed a slight increase in prices for some items, while the packaging has gotten smaller. I live in Florida and was shocked the other day to see tomatoes at $3.59 a pound, catfish st $10.00 a pound, and salmon at $30.00 a pound.

They are slowly turning up the heat.

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Either people go back to work, or we get machines to do it for them. Prices can't get to outta range.

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I’m thinking shovel, rake and hoe to get your garden to grow.

So let’s talk about potatoes and corn. Corn can be ground into cornmeal for cornbread and other things. But a potato can be boiled and mashed (save the water too) to capture wild yeast for bread. You can boil, mash, dehydrate and then pulverize potatoes into potato flour as a wheat flour substitute. Both of those things are easy to do but are quite time consuming. Wild captured yeast takes longer to rise and you are better off making rolls out of potato flour than loaves of bread (tends to collapse).

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

So let’s talk about potatoes and corn. Corn can be ground into cornmeal for cornbread and other things. But a potato can be boiled and mashed (save the water too) to capture wild yeast for bread. You can boil, mash, dehydrate and then pulverize potatoes into potato flour as a wheat flour substitute. Both of those things are easy to do but are quite time consuming. Wild captured yeast takes longer to rise and you are better off making rolls out of potato flour than loaves of bread (tends to collapse).

Been there .
Already planned and instigated .
I was born and raised in the country.
And still there as a matter of fact.
My Dad and Mom never had to go to the grocery store with 5 children and my grandmother living there.
3 acre garden and we raised our own bacon ....

posted on Sep, 15 2021 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Going rate for a bell pepper is $1. $1.50 for a zucchini or summer/yellow squash. 3 ears of Silver Queen for $1 (if you are lucky) so $4 a dozen...sometimes $5. Eggs are $2 a dozen despite a $1 in the store. I have even seen $1 for a good baseball sized tomato.

You see farmer’s markets but avoid them because there are zero deals to be had. You used to be able to trade veggies with the old roadside farmers if you had something they didn’t like carrots, turnips, asparagus, radishes, etc.

posted on Sep, 15 2021 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Going rate for a bell pepper is $1. $1.50 for a zucchini or summer/yellow squash. 3 ears of Silver Queen for $1 (if you are lucky) so $4 a dozen...sometimes $5. Eggs are $2 a dozen despite a $1 in the store. I have even seen $1 for a good baseball sized tomato.

You see farmer’s markets but avoid them because there are zero deals to be had. You used to be able to trade veggies with the old roadside farmers if you had something they didn’t like carrots, turnips, asparagus, radishes, etc.

I plan on raising more than I need for bartering .
A Lamborghini for a bushel basket of ears of corn .

posted on Sep, 15 2021 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Local market was selling boneless beef ribeye roast for $5.99 @ lb just last week.

I usually pick up two or three 3lb roasts when they run these sales, which they do about once a month.

I skipped it this time because I'm trying to incorporate more fish and less beef in my diet.

(Actually, I'm craving a nice leg of lamb!)

posted on Sep, 15 2021 @ 04:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Been there .
Already planned and instigated .
I was born and raised in the country.
And still there as a matter of fact.
My Dad and Mom never had to go to the grocery store with 5 children and my grandmother living there.
3 acre garden and we raised our own bacon ....

Good advice. We do the same. Large garden and if needs be have some meat to harvest. I feel for those who live in flats, apartments or units with no ground to grow stuff or raise animals. We spend a bit of time growing and harvesting then consuming. Both of us work in the meantime.

Kind regards,

Bally.

edit on 15-9-2021 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2021 @ 04:26 AM
link   
We are in for a rough time here in the UK.

Covid plus the inevitable effects of the glorious brexit means food is no longer the easy and cheap thing it's been for several decades now.

It's not so much the prices at the moment it's the shortages and it's only going to get worse.

I'm not overly concerned for my family, we live rural on a pretty large if run down place and have plenty of space for storage, outbuildings 3 or 4 freezers and the ability to buy in bulk.

We've got a few hundred chickens and a mate of ours has a warehouse where he buys bankrupt or dated foods and he gives us loads of stuff, sometimes 2 or 3 pallets at a time. We also have business accounts with wholesalers and know lots of people in the Asian community who tend to have different supplies to the usual ones people have access to.

If I lived alone in a small flat with just a few cupboards and a small freezer I'd be quite concerned I'll be honest.

posted on Sep, 15 2021 @ 05:31 AM
link   

My thoughts? Expect inflation to continue to go up and expect store shelves to get thinner. As others suggest, stock up. On top of the freezer I bought last year for those shortages, I just bought a vacuum sealer and starting to store dry goods and meats.

posted on Sep, 15 2021 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Potatoes and corn are big versatile crops as I mentioned. Soups, stews and breads will be your best friend. But never skimp on beans and eggs as easy protein. Red beans and kidney beans are only harvested once versus green beans picked repeatedly. Canning jars are one of those premium items so green beans, tomato products and pickles are top of the list. Things that can be dried and stored like peas, dried bean varieties can be ziplock bags or similar containers.

posted on Sep, 15 2021 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Buy toilet more paper...
But seriously, prices are skyrocketing here and many things are out of stock lately.
I imagine it’ll get worse before better...

posted on Sep, 15 2021 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Due to all the horrible weather here PLUS inflation , we are now paying over 3 bucks for a head of lettuce.

As long as governments are printing Monopoly money, inflation is expected. Cut-off point of inflation will be when people just start when people can only afford just enough food on the table once a day. We already see it here in this country. Rice balls and kimchi at dinner time is quite common now, even in my household, but with a bit of leeway because I do make pizza often.
But really what are your thoughts of food prices these days in your country ?

Well, once the Covid timebomb kicks in and all the radical vaxxers become interested in eating only brains, think of all the canned goods that will be left for the rest of us. Woohoo!

posted on Sep, 15 2021 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Potatoes and corn are big versatile crops as I mentioned. Soups, stews and breads will be your best friend. But never skimp on beans and eggs as easy protein. Red beans and kidney beans are only harvested once versus green beans picked repeatedly. Canning jars are one of those premium items so green beans, tomato products and pickles are top of the list. Things that can be dried and stored like peas, dried bean varieties can be ziplock bags or similar containers.

A few potatoes make a great soup

join