It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Earthquake Swarm In La Palma: Upgraded to yellow alert

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2021 @ 03:13 PM
link   
info update

This site had some good recent info

Since 00:11 UTC today, 20 earthquakes have been located at depths between 1 - 3 km (0.6 - 1.8 miles), with errors between 2 - 3 km (1.2 - 1.8 miles). The strongest was M2.9 mbLg at a depth of 0.4 km (1 300 feet). 

The rest of the activity continues at depths between 7 and 9 km (4 - 5.5 miles).

This deformation pattern can be interpreted as the effect of the pressurization of a small magmatic reservoir, located inside Cumbre Vieja in the same area where most of the earthquakes of the recent swarm are located," the Volcanology Institute of the Canaries (INVOLCAN) said.2

Seems as though there is a small bit of deformation aswell and quakez continuing to migrate NW and become more shallow

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I am surprised this thread hasn't gained more traction on ATS.

It's very real doom which isn't going away and a very real threat to the entire Eastern seaboard of the United States, South America and parts of Europe.

It needs closer attention. The earthquake swarms are getting shallower and there is evidence of deformation and bulging on the volcanoes flanks.

Even as a heads up it's definitely worth tracking.

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: EvanB

The world seems inverted.

MSM keep reporting on drivel and BS and a real world potential catastrophe remains largely unreported.

I wonder though how real a scenario it is for the whole wall to collapse at the same time. A slow slide would be much less hazardous.

P

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
What is a shield volcano ?

There are different types of volcano, depending on the viscosity (basically how runny it is) of the lava and where it comes from (hotspot or subduction residue). For instance on Hawaii the lava tends to be quite liquid and runs quite quickly (by lava standards), so a shield volcano looks like an old-fashioned Greek shield laid flat on the ground.
Stratovolcanoes om the other hand tend to be steeper and pointier because the lava can be quite thick and sticky.
I am of course leaving a huge amount out, but I strongly advise reading a good book on volcanoes. Absolutely fascinating stuff.

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

quote]originally posted by: pheonix358

The world seems inverted.

MSM keep reporting on drivel and BS and a real world potential catastrophe remains largely unreported.

P

Quoted for truth.

Another 2.0 at 3km. The quakes are getting shallower and there has been a lot of harmonic tremors which is a precursor before an eruption

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Couple links to live cams on the island—

dl.dropboxusercontent.com...

www.la-palma24.net...

This could very well be the “big one” folks. If a big tsunami hit the US east coast, we’re talking 80 million people.

The local government on La Palma is working on evacuation plans, but so far admits it can only evacuate about 2,000 people out of about 85,000….

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Spanish link concerning local evac plans—

www3.gobiernodecanarias.org... -de-la-palma/

edit on 17-9-2021 by Signals because: …

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Signals

great job on the web cams!! ive been following this for days now and its only getting worse.

hardly anyone even knows this is going on!

are those web cams just showing pics? i dont see anything moving at all.

edit on 17-9-2021 by autopat51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 10:44 AM
link   
This is an interesting study done by the USNRC in 2016 about tsunami danger to the US east coast concerning nuclear power plants, it’s a long read—

Tsunami Hazard Assessment Based on Wave Generation, Propagation, and Inundation Modeling for the U.S. East Coast

USNRC document

edit on 17-9-2021 by Signals because: …

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: autopat51

great job on the web cams!! ive been following this for days now and its only getting worse.

hardly anyone even knows this is going on!

are those web cams just showing pics? i dont see anything moving at all.

You have to reload the pages to get the freshest pic, I think they are uploaded every few minutes. Looks like a beautiful place.

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 10:55 AM
link   

La Palma authorities have warned there could be a volcanic eruption in the coming days due to the sudden increase in seismic activity.

www.euroweeklynews.com...

So far we are looking at 12 cm deformation of the ground. That doesn’t seem like much, but it’s a HUGE section of land!

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Thank you for sharing this! I knew of La Palma and the Puerto Rico trench tsunami threats, had no idea about the potential Currituck landslide on the Atlantic continental shelf.

Around 25 pages dedicated to La Palma in the entire document, so definitely not bad if you just wanted to read through that part. Lots of highly detailed graphs and charts.

Edit to add:

This suggests that the landslide on the La Palma Island is unlikely to cause severe tsunami impact on the U.S. East Coast, especially in areas facing a wide continental shelf.

Well, that's promising. Looks like two to three meters in most areas, most less.
edit on 9/17/2021 by cmdrkeenkid because: Added additional response.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Couldnt agree more. This is the type of 'doom' that originally brought me to ATS more than a decade ago. Well not specifically this volcano lol but earth changes in general. Granted the reality is, even if it does go and cause a tsunami of some type that i. Itself doesnt automatically mean it will be an unprecedentedly catastrophic one... But just the 'potential' and the fact that major news sources amd officials are either ignoring or downplaying said potential makes it the perfevt fodder for what ATS used to be comprised of.

Imo Unfortunatly the site has been overcome with a very specific demographic that is more concerned with drinking a very specific type of koolaid and engaging in a good ole fashion echochamber circlejerk. It is what it is though and to each their own... There has always been some politics mixed into conspiracy forums. Sadly- people are too concerned nowadays- it seems- with completely manufacturing their own conspiracies that allow them to stay out of touch with reality VS paying attention to the actual things going on in the world around them.

Thats just my $0.02 though. I for one, am saddened at what ATS has become in the last 4-6 years though. It was one of the last true vestives of denying ignorance and truly questioning what we are being tols about a range of topics. Now ot just seems peopld are fine embracing ignorance, and ignoring reality.

But back to my original point, i couldnt agree more. Even as just a heads up, its worth keeping an eye on. Seeing how the U.S gov and others havd treated covid, downplaying the risks to quell panic, and sacrificing people solely to keep corporate profits coming in... Theres no doubt in my mind that if/when something does happen that puts a large % of us in danger again - like a collapse at La Palma causing massive tsunami- they will downplay that too to prevent panic and keep being supporting corporate oligarchs in penthouses. The Only people who would be aware are those of us still entertaining the fringes of science, and contemplating 'what ifs' ahead of time.

So im with you- paying close attention to whats going on and just hoping if and when it does go it mirrors the last eruptions in the 70s and not the worst case scenarios some scientist have alluded to.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Edit to add:

This suggests that the landslide on the La Palma Island is unlikely to cause severe tsunami impact on the U.S. East Coast, especially in areas facing a wide continental shelf.

Well, that's promising. Looks like two to three meters in most areas, most less.

** according to those scientist specifically.

Granted since the initial study in 2001 I believe there have been atleast a half dozen other studies done with a huge range of possibilities as far as what the east coast of U.S could receive. Several come to that conclusion that at worse it would only be a few ft by the time it got there. However several found, like the initial study, that the risk could be quote a bit more. Even as much as a few hundred ft. Even that though wouldnt be 'world ending' like some make it out to be, but to me the drastic range in what scientist predict is possible.... Only heightens my own concern, in the sense that to me it means they really just dont know whats possible. If all of them came to the same conclusion that it wouldnt amount to much, id feel a lot less paranoid about it but the fact atleast 1 scientisr literallt moved to Europe from the east coast of U.S after completing their study on the potential of a tsunami from La Palma....doesnt really give me a lot of confidence you know?

If they conclusively proved the risk was substantial then the U.S gov would have to plan foe that type of scenario. With the extent of old infrastructure on the east coast and the sheer number of People, the amount of money that would be spent in an attempt to potentially plan mitigate it woukd be phenomenal. When it comes to money, i dont trust amy governme t to do whats 'best'... And thats not even considering what insurance companies may have to change in policies. It seems for all of them having a study they coukd point to that says it wont be very large woukd benefit them greatly in the shortterm, ans just take the chance on it never happening. Now THAT sounds like our government lol

Maybe im just cyninical amd extremely untrusting but... I still woulsd rather prepare for worst potential and just hope for the best insteD of being caught off guard. There seems to be just too much variability in what could happen for me, and after seeing how we downplay legit known disasters.... I have very little faith left that we wouldnt be on our own/every man for themselves, here aswell

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: itswhatev

They actually address this in the introduction of section four of their paper.

This study investigates the possible effect on the U.S. Atlantic coast of a tsunami generated by the hypothetical collapse of the Cumbre Vieja volcano located on the Isla La Palma in the Canary Islands. Well-publicized studies of this scenario conducted by Ward and Day (2001) and Løvholt et al. (2008) suggest that the impact may be severe. Subsequent to the initial publication, more credible worst-case scenarios have been modeled to study wave evolution in the impact zone, open ocean, and continental shelf. However, these more recent studies lack an inundation model, and use a crude Green’s law scaling assumption to estimate wave heights at the beach. In this study, an Eulerian-Lagrangian hydrocode is used to simulate the landslide impact, a numerically dispersive linear shallow-water model (MOST) for open-ocean propagation, and a nonlinear inundation model to quantify impact at the coast. These more robust approaches provide a better estimate of the potential hazard on the U.S. coastline posed by the Cumbra Vieja volcano.

originally posted by: itswhatev
If all of them came to the same conclusion that it wouldnt amount to much, id feel a lot less paranoid about it but the fact atleast 1 scientisr literallt moved to Europe from the east coast of U.S after completing their study on the potential of a tsunami from La Palma

Which scientist(s)? Which paper studying the risk? Did they explicitly say they moved due to the risk? Source?

I still woulsd rather prepare for worst potential and just hope for the best insteD of being caught off guard.

There's nothing wrong with that, it's sound advice. However, you can't let the fear of something out of your control take hold of you either.
edit on 9/18/2021 by cmdrkeenkid because: Fixing wonky ex quotes.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Still shaking, the latest recorded quake above 2.0 was recorded about an hour ago.

www.volcanodiscovery.com...

No reports of deformation that I could find.

Mount Saint Helens had earthquake swarms for months before it blew, Mount Pinatubo was shaking for over a year.

Very unlikely that an eruption is imminent, hence the yellow alert. However if the quakes continue and become shallower and more intense as well as bulging or land deformation is observed then we will see the alert level raised to red.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 10:23 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 10:33 AM
link   
This is real time data from tsunami detecting buoys —

www.ndbc.noaa.gov...

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I can’t get any of the buoys off the American East Coast to show data from the link I posted above.

Okay, this is insane!

Three of the five Tsunami Warning Buoys protecting the US east coast are OFFLINE and a fourth is malfunctioning, leaving only ONE buoy in the Atlantic Ocean to warn Americans if a tsunami wave is coming at them from the island of La Palma in the Canary Islands. It is that very island which is currently seeing swarms of earthquakes, leading scientists to believe the volcano there will erupt. If it erupts, and the southwestern flank falls into the ocean causing a tsunami as many expect it will, the US east coast will be BLIND-SIDED because 80% of our tsunami warning buoys are not working.

halturnerradioshow.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 11:46 AM
link   
There is about to be a live press conference from the local government on the island, 18:00 local time. This is the YouTube channel—

youtube.com...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join