It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watching VMA It's official I'm old

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I normally don't give a hoot about the VMA's or other award shows. I have a family member that wanted to watch it, so I said what the heck.

What the heck is right! What in the Illuminati!!!!
I guess it's MTV's 40th birthday. I remember watching MTV when I was young and my mom and dad were so against it. I think I know how they felt now.

I'm a pretty open minded person. I don't care if you are gay, trans, if you lean left, or right. I really don't. However, as I'm watching this I'm wondering to myself where society went wrong. So much of this I don't even see as art or music anymore. It's just trashy. The nonstop rape of the floor. Yes I get it everyone wants to look sexy and show their big butt implants and rub their crotch a zillion times. My goodness, is this where we are right now? The nonstop devilish imagery of fire, darkness and debauchery...
I know the music industry has been pushing the limits for a long time, but is there anything left to push? I guess the only thing left is an actual live sex scene on stage. Besides that, the music... This is where my age might be really showing. The music just isn't that great.
Where is the talent?

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I must really be old. What the phuk is a VMA show?

Some newfangled Virgin Marriage Arrangement reality series?

edit on 9/12/2021 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I normally don't give a hoot about the VMA's or other award shows. I have a family member that wanted to watch it, so I said what the heck.

What the heck is right! What in the Illuminati!!!!
I guess it's MTV's 40th birthday. I remember watching MTV when I was young and my mom and dad were so against it. I think I know how they felt now.

I'm a pretty open minded person. I don't care if you are gay, trans, if you lean left, or right. I really don't. However, as I'm watching this I'm wondering to myself where society went wrong. So much of this I don't even see as art or music anymore. It's just trashy. The nonstop rape of the floor. Yes I get it everyone wants to look sexy and show their big butt implants and rub their crotch a zillion times. My goodness, is this where we are right now? The nonstop devilish imagery of fire, darkness and debauchery...
I know the music industry has been pushing the limits for a long time, but is there anything left to push? I guess the only thing left is an actual live sex scene on stage. Besides that, the music... This is where my age might be really showing. The music just isn't that great.
Where is the talent?

I can remember being a kid (I grew up in the 80s), and my friends and I would tune up the ol' tele and plunk down to watch some music videos. Remember those? You'd turn on MTV and you'd see little movie things featuring your favorite artist performing your favorite songs. Then came along VH1...Video Hits 1. Same thing. Aaaaahhh...the good ol' days. Now it's all about rich rappers homes and being 16 and pregnant. I don't get all that. What happened to music videos? Nobody watched MTV for shows, to see who got catfished. Damn, I do sound like a crotchity old man. Oh well.

And yes, it's gotten increasingly demonic, without question. I remember when Hannah Montana ripped off her little girl persona and emerged as the super-slut Miley Cyrus. Remember that? I bet that was excellent on all the absent parents who were unprepared for their little darlings who would now follow that example into debauchery.

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 09:56 PM
link   
That's on emptv, right?

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

I must really be old. What the phuk is a VMA show?

Some newfangled Virgin Marriage Arrangement reality series?

It stands for Vagina Monologue Association. They have an annual awards show...

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Where is the talent?

It died somewhere between the Spice Girls movie, and 2000. Take your year pick, lol.

I getcha, Jag, I can't stand the modern stuff. They ALL sound identical, like there's some specific octave/pitch/whatever (I'm not musically inclined here, so...) that is at hand for the "Cookie Cutter" voices. I can't tell even rock bands apart anymore, they all. sound. the. same.

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 10:02 PM
link   

LOL....I watched the very first video on MTV....a very long time ago.

MTV is more about "reality" shows....has been for a while.

There is no musical talent these days. The popular ones are all just using mixing board sounds and auto tuning lyrics.

None of them could hold a tune, and most can't play an instrument.

The VMA awards are like the emmys or Oscar's or whatever....no talent.

I dig on my teenager about this all the time with what kids these days listen to.

Would love any headline talent to go against BB King or Chick Corea or Stevie Ray Vaughn or Hendrix or anyone that actually knew music.

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Would love any headline talent to go against BB King or Chick Corea or Stevie Ray Vaughn or Hendrix or anyone that actually knew music.

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Where is the talent?

It died somewhere between the Spice Girls movie, and 2000. Take your year pick, lol.

I getcha, Jag, I can't stand the modern stuff. They ALL sound identical, like there's some specific octave/pitch/whatever (I'm not musically inclined here, so...) that is at hand for the "Cookie Cutter" voices. I can't tell even rock bands apart anymore, they all. sound. the. same.

LOL!!!! One of my worst fondest memories was when I took my ex wife's little sister to Blockbuster and told her to pick out a movie....she picked Spice World. I watched it. May have been my lowest point in life.

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I think you are right, somewhere at the end of the 90's and when they were ushering in boy bands,
Milley Vanillie whatever...

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Wait. What the hell?

Not that one, this one.

edit on 9/12/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Where is the talent?

LOL!!!! One of my worst fondest memories was when I took my ex wife's little sister to Blockbuster and told her to pick out a movie....she picked Spice World. I watched it. May have been my lowest point in life.

Edit: Ok, weird, good thing I caught the oddball wrong-post quote before the edit timer ran out. Now my following comment makes more sense

< cough >

I totally did not have a Spice Girls diary, all the albums & singles and totally didn't badger my mother into going to see that one in the theater. Or Clueless. Never saw either wince-inducing flick

I think you are right, somewhere at the end of the 90's and when they were ushering in boy bands,

N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, 5ive, uh, who else...does No Mercy count? No, they don't count, they could actually sing.
edit on 9/12/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/12/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Where is the talent?

Now here is an interesting factoid. Something like 70% of all the top pop songs that you hear today are written by a small collective of middle-aged Scandinavian white men called...something (they have a name for this collective). I seriously read this in The Atlantic, it was a fascinating piece. Then, all of the songs get fed into a computer which analyzes...stuff (I know, I'm being pretty specific and all sciency here...try to keep up). The 'stuff' is analyzed and the computer either approves or disapproves the song. If it is approved, it's sent off and farmed out to a "talent" to sing, record (with autotune, of course) and promote. There is also an industry standard called "pay to play". You don't just get a song on the radio anymore because it's good...you pay a lot of money in order to get that airplay. So yes, there is a clear homogeny to the sound because of this and other factors. It's not about music really, it's about profit.

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 10:09 PM
link   

LOL again....milli vanilli.....great reference. Even won, and had revoked, a Grammy.

Just shows how long ago music really started to suck and those that voted for it had no real talent other than voting for money.

Any person with an ear or two could listen to music and know this.

One of the things that really got me was all these "musicians" that dance around the stage singing, yet never seem to take a deep breath!

link   

Video Killed the Radio Star! Ha! First! Eat it, Phage...

link   
Has any one told Megan Thee Stallion what a stallion is?

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I remember spending hours watching music videos on MTV.
I even have a VCR tape filled with videos I loved at the time.
I recorded all of my favorite videos in 1986 and I still have the
tape.I don't know what condition it is in but I have it in my
office somewhere.
I don't watch any of the newer shows about the music industry.
I don't even watch the half-time show during the superbowl
either.These forms of entertainment have gone too far for my
taste.

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 10:14 PM
link   
MTV was so ahead of the curve. Ending music in favor of scripted reality television. Remember Tower Records? Camelot Music? Sam Goody? Coconuts? Heck, I’ve even been in a couple Turtles...and you wonder why there is no music on Music Television.

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Has any one told Megan Thee Stallion what a stallion is?

Has anyone told Madonna or Cher they are too old to be relevant?

posted on Sep, 12 2021 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Probably.
Are they on the show?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join