It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War in the woods

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2021 @ 09:13 AM
link   
There is an intense protest over old-growth logging that has been going on In south Vancouver Island since April with over 800 people being arrested, making it the largest act of civil disobedience in history.

The activists appear to be well funded and very clever in their methods of resistance.

There is about 3% of old growth remaining on the island. I had just assumed all these years that these forests would naturally be protected due to their scarcity, age, and sheer beauty.

If you haven't had a chance to walk among these behemoths, better do it soon before they are all processed and sent over seas.

thenarwhal.ca...

biv.com...

www.theguardian.com... kFV-mWg0NY

posted on Sep, 10 2021 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket
There is an intense protest over old-growth logging that has been going on In south Vancouver Island since April with over 800 people being arrested, making it the largest act of civil disobedience in history.

The activists appear to be well funded and very clever in their methods of resistance.

There is about 3% of old growth remaining on the island. I had just assumed all these years that these forests would naturally be protected due to their scarcity, age, and sheer beauty.

If you haven't had a chance to walk among these behemoths, better do it soon before they are all processed and sent over seas.

thenarwhal.ca...

biv.com...

www.theguardian.com... kFV-mWg0NY

I am just getting so sick of greed and evil. It's wearing me out.

PS: How did it go with your kids in the English class? Did you show them the riots, et al?

posted on Sep, 10 2021 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TheMirrorSelf

The evil is indeed sickening and getting worse. All the more reason to have faith.

No, I haven't done the covid protest class yet. Haven't had enough time to plan it out. I'll probably do it on Monday.

I'll update the thread when it's done.

posted on Sep, 15 2021 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Hey everyone, I'm one of the many folks participating in Fairy Creek. I'll share whats already public information. It's now the biggest act of civil disobedience in Canada and has gone past the 1000 arrest mark. Our mainstream media outlets are mostly against us, with only independent media speaking for us.

On the topic of media, they are only taking information from the RCMP and in some cases have posted outright lies. These lies don't hold up against video evidence.

The RCMP have been suppressing journalists, brutalizing protestors, and destroying property. They are hiding their names, faces, badge numbers, and will deny filming of themselves. They will also delete videos from people's devices they get, or outright destroy them.
Their main arm of enforcement are the "green men" - a highly militarized division known as the ERT(Emergency Response Team). This specific group is known as the C-IRG(Community Industry Response Group). They are highly armed, and if the rumors are true, will be operating on a "shoot to kill" mandate soon.

The land we are protecting is some of the last intact ecosystems in British Columbia, and if logged out, would take thousands of years to return to its current biodiversity. Second growth forests have a dirty secret - they're only renewable because people say they are. The reality is that planted second growth forests are ecological deserts. They are very unhealthy and lack many species which create symbiotic relationships. Unlike old growth, they have no resistance to fire, and so something that is integral to forests is now extremely deadly. Look up "BC wildfires"

Even more amazing, these old growth forests have a "duff layer" multiple feet thick and this duff layer is laced by a fungal network that can transfer information and resources between trees which helps the forest maintain homeostasis. This is something second growth doesn't have. You learn from these forests that a forest is an interconnected system, not a place where a bunch of individual, highly competitive, isolated trees live. If that duff layer was destroyed today, it would take over 300 years just to regenerate to it's former glory, assuming it actually could.

Government, Industry, Police, and Media Collusion
John Horgan - our Premier, the RCMP, and Teal-Jones(The logging company) are all in bed with each other as each of them stands to gain lots financially from the logging. The media is, as stated earlier, only taking information from the RCMP and pretends to be impartial when the RCMP gets too much heat for their violence. There are also rumors of collusion with a biker gang known as the Hells Angels but this is unconfirmed. But members of the gang have harassed us at our camps before and politicians have also been affiliated with them in the past.

Long story short, industry wants to destroy something irreplaceable, and our governments wants to help them do it and are using our paramilitary police to make it happen.

posted on Sep, 15 2021 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I just wanted to add a couple things as I'll be away a bit. Here's some reading on the fungal network:
en.wikipedia.org...

A wikipedia article covering some details on the protest, but not super up to date or comprehensive:
en.wikipedia.org...

And a side note: If you can support this in any way, that'd be awesome. We have support across the province including some celebrity support and every little bit is appreciated.

Lastly I'd like to add that I'm not any sort of spokesperson for the movement, I'm just some random dude who found this site today and has sacrificed a lot for this movement like everyone else who is a part of it. If you're in Alaska, Washington, or a local, I encourage you to spend a bit of time there and just listen to people's stories. Thank you Tucket for posting this, I was actually surprised to see it and I'm grateful.

posted on Sep, 15 2021 @ 05:00 PM
link   
If we lose our great trees and animals such as elephants and whales the loss to the world becomes incomprehensible. The natural majesty we humans experience in their presence is essential to our spiritual life. Soon the stars will be lost to artificial light and the only examples of the great beasts will left in zoos and museums. Makes me wonder if perhaps we humans are the ones who should be locked away and the animals running the zoo. Probably safer than living under the dictates of today's bureaucrats.

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: LandDefender
Hey everyone, I'm one of the many folks participating in Fairy Creek. I'll share whats already public information. It's now the biggest act of civil disobedience in Canada and has gone past the 1000 arrest mark. Our mainstream media outlets are mostly against us, with only independent media speaking for us.

On the topic of media, they are only taking information from the RCMP and in some cases have posted outright lies. These lies don't hold up against video evidence.

The RCMP have been suppressing journalists, brutalizing protestors, and destroying property. They are hiding their names, faces, badge numbers, and will deny filming of themselves. They will also delete videos from people's devices they get, or outright destroy them.
Their main arm of enforcement are the "green men" - a highly militarized division known as the ERT(Emergency Response Team). This specific group is known as the C-IRG(Community Industry Response Group). They are highly armed, and if the rumors are true, will be operating on a "shoot to kill" mandate soon.

The land we are protecting is some of the last intact ecosystems in British Columbia, and if logged out, would take thousands of years to return to its current biodiversity. Second growth forests have a dirty secret - they're only renewable because people say they are. The reality is that planted second growth forests are ecological deserts. They are very unhealthy and lack many species which create symbiotic relationships. Unlike old growth, they have no resistance to fire, and so something that is integral to forests is now extremely deadly. Look up "BC wildfires"

Even more amazing, these old growth forests have a "duff layer" multiple feet thick and this duff layer is laced by a fungal network that can transfer information and resources between trees which helps the forest maintain homeostasis. This is something second growth doesn't have. You learn from these forests that a forest is an interconnected system, not a place where a bunch of individual, highly competitive, isolated trees live. If that duff layer was destroyed today, it would take over 300 years just to regenerate to it's former glory, assuming it actually could.

Government, Industry, Police, and Media Collusion
John Horgan - our Premier, the RCMP, and Teal-Jones(The logging company) are all in bed with each other as each of them stands to gain lots financially from the logging. The media is, as stated earlier, only taking information from the RCMP and pretends to be impartial when the RCMP gets too much heat for their violence. There are also rumors of collusion with a biker gang known as the Hells Angels but this is unconfirmed. But members of the gang have harassed us at our camps before and politicians have also been affiliated with them in the past.

Long story short, industry wants to destroy something irreplaceable, and our governments wants to help them do it and are using our paramilitary police to make it happen.

Wow, thanks for chiming in. Such a shame that there is so much desire to destroy and exploit such a precious environment. The green men sound like a nightmare. I'm living in Colombia now and what you describe sounds like what happens on the regular down here. Namely that being an activist is a death sentence. Can't believe it's happening in Canada.

top topics

join