It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upstairs - Downstairs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Only a suggestion from an ageing member with the onset of RSI who spends too much time on here.

I appreciate and often use the Return to Top arrow in the forum threads. However, I also find myself wanting to go back downstairs as quickly as I went up. I think it would be helpful, and aesthetically pleasing to the eye, to have a Return to Bottom arrow next to the Up one.

edit on 9/9/2021 by Encia22 because: Damn RSI and typos

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Encia22
Use the space bar on your keyboard,does the same thing.

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 08:50 AM
link   
There is a button called "Pos1" in the block above the arrows that will bring you to the top of every document, on your keyboard

The button "End" does the same but will bring you to the end of a document. Right next to it are two more buttons, they will let you scroll in steps.

edit on 9.9.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: glen200376
Use the space bar on your keyboard,does the same thing.

Cheers for the tip. I'm thinking more about my mobile experience, which is 90% of the time spent here.

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 08:54 AM
link   
also if on a desktop you can use the home key / page up keys and end / page down keys.
edit on 9-9-2021 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
There is a button called "Pos1" in the block above the arrows that will bring you to the top of every document, on your keyboard

The button "End" does the same but will bring you to the end of a document. Right next to it are two more buttons, they will let you scroll in steps.

This stuff doesn't work on a smartphone. The poster has a good idea.

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I don't use the mobile often, hate using my phone for internet. Or really anything other than phone calls, and bathroom games (don't pretend you don't need something to do on the toilet too).

I suggest a Franzl Lang icon. For the music forum. That doesn't get used enough. Dude is a legend though. Oesch's die Dritten is pretty good too. Non yodelers though, I suggest Weird Al. Classic. Foil.

ETA: I approve of the OPs suggestion.

Okay I'm done.

edit on 9-9-2021 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: VierEyes

Agreed! I did not consider smartphones

I also vote for having this. It's a good idea for smartphoners so why not.

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Sorry, my bad, I didn't specify that in my OP.

Yes, it's quite easy to swipe up and down on a smartphone, but when I'm doing it for hours (between work and play) it becomes rather tedious and tiring.

I actually have an app on my phone that auto scrolls the page and has been a tendon saver. I'll make a new thread to introduce it to the Community. However, it's a slow scroll and is perfect for reading, but not for zipping up and down the thread staircase, thus why I use the Up arrow extensively.

Anyway, I appreciate the nods and let's see if the Administrators consider implementing it.

edit on 9/9/2021 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Nothing to excuse for, I could have thought about it myself.

And in the meantime, maybe someone can share a trick like double tapping somewhere to scroll up completely? Sometimes it's as easy as that

I mean.. the swipe navigation has that backdraw in any kind of long list so there had to be thought of an easy solution, I would think.

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I've tried almost every trick I know. I'm an IT Admin, so I Iove to tinker with tech... I still use, almost exclusively, keyboard shortcuts back from the good old DOS days. Unfortunately, smartphones have many limitations in this regard. I've been through all the chrome://flags/ config options and found nothing useful. I've tried many third party apps and only the one I mentioned is of any real use, at least for fingerless scrolling.

Any new tips are warmly welcomed!

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I see a conspiracy in the bushes about planned obsolete display surface abrasion, that didn't workout because the lifetime is just 2-4 years anyways. The design section won that fight against the material nerds.

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 01:33 PM
link   

LOL!!

That reminds me of JerryRigEverything (YT channel).

Glass is glass, and scratches at a level 6 with deeper grooves at a level 7.

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 01:53 PM
link   
There are two keys on a keyboard labeled Home and End.

That is all.

ETA I say all, but there are way more keys on a keyboard than two.

We now return you to your normal programming, unless you're on mobile and then all bets are off and the insurance doesn't pay out for either of us.
edit on 9/9/21 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

ETA Getting my typos wrong. Shhh!
edit on 9/9/21 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Encia22
That reminds me of JerryRigEverything (YT channel).

lol I have to check out.

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 08:21 PM
link   

He's Great!

Basically, he takes the latest and greatest smartphones and tests them to destruction. His videos are normally in two parts. 1) He tests the screen's resistance to burning and scratching, hence the quoted line, which has become his most famous line, proceeding with scratch testing the phone's outer case and a flex test.
2) He then does a teardown to examine the innards, showing how well made, or not, the phone is.

He also does other DIY projects, even down to building those massive Lego Technics sets... and much more...

top topics

join