It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did Methuselah Die?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2021 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Methuselah lived to be 969 years old and was the oldest person recorded in The Bible. When he was 187 years old, he had a son named Lamech. After that, Methuselah lived another 782 years. 782 plus 187 equals 969. In Genesis 5:27, The Bible confirms this figure.

When Methuselah's son Lamech was 182, he had a son named Noah. When Noah was 600 years old, the flood happened. If you add the years 187 (when Methuselah had Lamech, and then 182 when Lamech had Noah, then 600 years later when the flood came, those three figures add up to 969 years. That would have been the same amount of years that Methuselah lived, so he died in the year of the flood.

My question is this: Did Methuselah die of old age or drowning?

The Bible doesn't go into this, but it sure makes you wonder, doesn't it?

posted on Sep, 8 2021 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

Well, his name transliterated means "his death shall bring".

I don't think he died in the flood, his death was the prophecy OF the flood, hidden in a geneology!

posted on Sep, 8 2021 @ 07:38 AM
link   
His name meant "When he is dead, it shall be sent." I don't know why Bibles fail to record the meanings of names, for they can be very revealing of deeper things...

Link:

www.abarim-publications.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2021 @ 07:41 AM
link   
May be off target, but noticed the name Meth use la. As above states "his death shall bring".

Playing with SPELL ings again.

posted on Sep, 8 2021 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Pretty sure he didn't exist, don't sweat it.

It's mythology.

posted on Sep, 8 2021 @ 08:53 AM
link   
its possible he died in the flood
I've always heard he was a righteous man and God held back judgment so he could live his life to the natural end.
sounds a bit like Louis XIV; 'Apres moi, le deluge'. ('After me, the disaster').

Bible doesn't really say.

posted on Sep, 8 2021 @ 09:29 AM
link   
According to what I have been reading after a Google search, he died one week before the Great Flood.

posted on Sep, 8 2021 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: PillarOfFire
May be off target, but noticed the name Meth use la. As above states "his death shall bring".

Well, I live in LA, and there is no shortage of meth, trust me. Actually, his name would break down as Meth use lah, but we do often call this Lah Lah Land out here.

That aside, pretty sure everyone else is write. He died of old age unleashing the flood.

posted on Sep, 8 2021 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley

It's mythology.

Yeah...first atheist post! Congrats on jumping in to a conversation where people are actually discussing something from the greatest selling book of all time so that you can let us all know how intellectually superior you are. You know, people study myths as well, they discuss them and analyze them, I've heard that there are actually people at colleges that engage in this stupid practice. I would just stand up and say, you stupid professor, it's all mythology, so it doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure he'd just say, you're right, give me an A and then go commit suicide.

posted on Sep, 8 2021 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Methuselah died in the flood after he found some berries to eat.

I got that from the movie Noah starring Russell crowe.

If you haven't seen it it's a good watch.

posted on Sep, 8 2021 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Themaskedbeast

Methuselah died in the flood after he found some berries to eat.

I got that from the movie Noah starring Russell crowe.

If you haven't seen it it's a good watch.

Oh yeah! That movie was spot on accurate! Especially the big good guy Nephilim robots walking around lending a, whatever the hell those arm things were. Russel Crowe should have had his Oscar taken away for that one...

posted on Sep, 8 2021 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TheMirrorSelf

Well considering it's a movie loosely based on the story some fact some fiction.

It could be 100% accurate retelling of the story or it could all be made up.

Since noone was there to record what happened we will never know if the nephilim helped him or not.

As far as the oscar comment goes russel did a good job portraying a man who god speaks to knowing everyone else is gonna die. But still finds the resolve to do what must be done....well until the end when he cant bring himself to kill his grandchildren.

posted on Sep, 8 2021 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheMirrorSelf

originally posted by: CJCrawley

It's mythology.

Yeah...first atheist post! Congrats on jumping in to a conversation where people are actually discussing something from the greatest selling book of all time so that you can let us all know how intellectually superior you are. You know, people study myths as well, they discuss them and analyze them, I've heard that there are actually people at colleges that engage in this stupid practice. I would just stand up and say, you stupid professor, it's all mythology, so it doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure he'd just say, you're right, give me an A and then go commit suicide.

How's this for mythology?

We have "hell" in the King James Bible. We have both "hell" and "hel" in the 1611 KJ Bible. Going back a few centuries, we have "hell," "hel" and "helle" in the Anglo-Saxon epic "Beowulf." Now in those days there were Angles, Saxons and Jutes on the Continent as well as in Britain, and since "Beowulf" was set in Denmark, a look at Norse mythology is in order. In Norse mythology we find the goddess/ogress Hel, who ruled over her afterlife realm of Helheim (House of Hel). They thought it was where you went after death if you did not rate going to Valhalla.

posted on Sep, 8 2021 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TheMirrorSelf

Congrats on jumping in...so that you can let us all know how intellectually superior you are.

Aw, shucks, thanks.

You guys...

posted on Sep, 8 2021 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Old age.

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Guess who was alive when Noah was born?

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: PillarOfFire

The town I live in was known, in recent years, as "Methdependence" instead of the proper "Independence."

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
Guess who was alive when Noah was born?

Easy: Adam.

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joneselius

Well, his name transliterated means "his death shall bring".

I don't think he died in the flood, his death was the prophecy OF the flood, hidden in a geneology!

I can't help but wonder what his nickname might have been...

posted on Sep, 10 2021 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

Nope. It was Enos, he bounced baby Noah on his knees. The 1st number behind their names is their year of birth and the 2nd number is their death. Enos died in 1140 he lived 84 years after Noah was born

THE BOOK OF GENESIS’S CHRONOLOGICAL LISTING OF DESCENDANTS - ADAM TO NOAH

YEARS FROM THE CREATION 100 200 300 400 500 600 700 800 900 1000 1100 1200 1300 1400 1500 1600 1700 1800 1900 2000 2100 2200 2300
ADAM 1---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- 930
SETH 130 —- ---- ---- ---- ---- --- ---- ---- 1024
ENOS 235 ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----- 1140
CAINAN
325 ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ------ ----- 1235
MAHALALEEL 395 ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ------ ------ 1290
JARED
460 ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ------ ------ ------ ------ 1422
ENOCH
622 ---- ---- 987
METHUSELAH
687 ---- ----- ------ ------ ------- ------ ------- ------- ------- 1656
LAMECH 874 ---- ------ ------ ------- ------- ----- ------ 1651
NOAH 1056 ------- ------- ------- ------- ------ ------- ------- -------
We seen to read the lineage as if it was back to back but it wasn't. Their lives overlapped. And not all the people born are recorded Many times there is written "and he had sons and daughters". It is estimated at that life length and having babies at yearly intervals (which was getting shorter not longer, you 7th Day Veggie dudes), there could have been a population of between 8-16 BILLION people in the earth before the flood.

edit on 9/10/2021 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join