It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you a top or a bottom?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2021 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Yes, I realize this thread title has a completely different meaning in a different context. Sue me.

But I am curious about something I'm seeing in a lot of threads lately.

When quoting or replying to a post, do you place your response above or below the quoted or 'reply to' portion? There was a time when it seemed to be below for the vast majority of members. Now I'm seeing a shift.

edit on 7-9-2021 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2021 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
Yes, I realize this thread title has a completely different meaning in a different context. Sue me.

When quoting or replying to a post, do you place your response above or below the quoted or 'reply to' portion? There was a time when it seemed to be below for the vast majority of members. Now I'm seeing a shift.

Bottom.

posted on Sep, 7 2021 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Weird! I have noticed that same thing! I really only think I've seen the "in response to..." thingymajig showing up under the response itself (can't think of seeing the quote like that). But yeah, that's interesting...I have noticed that.

posted on Sep, 7 2021 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Depends.

If it's a short post, and I'm replying to the whole thing, my reply will go under the quoted post. If I'm breaking the quote down into sections to reply independently to each section, I will usually put an into on top, then quote the first section, reply to that section, then quote the next section, and reply to that section, etc.

I rarely ever put the post I am replying to underneath my reply. Seems like it doesn't make sense that way.

posted on Sep, 7 2021 @ 03:36 PM
link   

whats wrong with the middle

posted on Sep, 7 2021 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I can explain it.

The cursor is harder to position on a phone or tablet so the text may be “on top” or before the reply to message. Many people pound away with their furious thumbs and never correct a misplaced opening sentence so they continue on.

But mostly there has to be a touch somewhere in the text box and often times is ends up before unless you really target for after.

posted on Sep, 7 2021 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I usually try to put my answer or comment below....I think. Now I am not sure if I do it most times or not. I am too tired to think right now.

posted on Sep, 7 2021 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I like both. Maybe at the same time.
Don't knock it till you try it.

..crap, forgot to read thread.

Disregard that comment. I was talking about pancakes..yeah

(post by XipeTotex removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 7 2021 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Below , it makes sense if your replying to the quoted portion to reply after the quote.

posted on Sep, 7 2021 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

That makes sense.

Personally, I find the result irritating.

Anyhoo, I'm off to straighten the carpet fringe.

(post by XipeTotex removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 7 2021 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Quoting depends on the day and how I interact with the quote...

What really throws me off is this

posted on Sep, 7 2021 @ 04:16 PM
link   

When quoting or replying to a post, do you place your response above or below the quoted or 'reply to' portion?

Replying below a quote should be mandated IMHO. There is a risk that, without a mandate, other poor post formatting mega dramas can arise.
Particularly things like
sentences typed
out in a short and long sporadic fashion
make a
as bad as a singular
wall of word
salad. Maybe we should setup a formating quarantine gulag national resilience center.

edit on 7 9 2021 by myselfaswell because: of post formating, what else would you expect, FFS.

posted on Sep, 7 2021 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

Lsietn, if we sartt ainwlolg ptoss lkie taht tehn poeple wtih Tegmyyolcpia get to hvae a filed day wtih tehir ptsos.

Translation: Listen, if we start allowing posts like that then people with Typoglycemia get to have a field day with their posts.
edit on 9/7/2021 by cmdrkeenkid because: Fniixg size thing I aldcatinelcy cikcled on.

edit on 9/7/2021 by cmdrkeenkid because: Anddig mroe tgoyicyelpma.

posted on Sep, 7 2021 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Always beneath quoted post. Makes more sense to me to read the post I'm replying to first.

posted on Sep, 7 2021 @ 04:27 PM
link   

bottom. So when you read the post, you understand the context of the reply before you read it.
Helps with the shock value.

posted on Sep, 7 2021 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: XipeTotex

Appreciate it if you wouldn't change a quote by me!

That's not cool at all!

Joking or not! If you think you're being funny...you're NOT!

posted on Sep, 7 2021 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I go low.

What's the other meaning of Top or Bottom?

posted on Sep, 7 2021 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Down here

top topics

<<   2 >>

join