It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dewey Decimal System is Racist

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Yup, I # you not. The latest crusade against racism and white supremacy is now against something you've never really considered until you've had to find an obscure book in a library. Yes that's right, the Dewey Decimal system is apparently racist.

bookriot.com...

A lot of old things are racist. Mickey Mouse’s white gloves, for example. The concept of a peanut gallery. But public libraries? Impossible, right? Well, public libraries have a lot of race-related issues, from over-policing to an exclusive Master’s degree (I wrote about some of this here.) But one of the biggest obstacles to manifesting true racial justice in public libraries is the Dewey Decimal System. That’s right: the bedrock cataloging system that you learned in elementary school has a major racism issue.

Dewey invented the Decimal System in 1873. He was 21 years old and already had a lot of big ideas, one of which involved organizing the library of his employer, Amherst College. To this end, he drew on the work of Sir Francis Bacon, a 16th century natural philosopher. Bacon had been an early pioneer of inductive reasoning, which is crucial to the scientific method, and he’d written at length about logical organization of knowledge for discovery in his book Instauratio magna. Dewey also claimed an Italian printmaker named Natale Battezzati as an inspiration. Battezzati had invented a card-based catalog for bookstores. Where Bacon had been dead for a couple centuries and change when Dewey embarked upon his fateful cataloging system, Battezzati was a living and well-known contemporary.

The quickest possible glance reveals the racism in the Dewey Decimal System. We’ll use the religion section as an example. The 200s encompass all religion, nominally, although the problems with this premise are obvious. Each Dewey heading encompasses ten major subjects, dividing each up by subtopics that add digits to the end of the number. Six of the ten subjects in the 200s are explicitly for Christianity-related subjects. Three of those remaining are either explicitly or implicitly Judeo-Christian. Finally, at the bottom of the heap, the 290s cover“other” religions. Islam, Baha’ai, and Babism all get to share 297. Germanic religions get 293. All “religions of Indic origin,” in other words Hinduism, Jainism, and Buddhism, get to share 294. Hinduism gets all of 294.5 to itself. How generous!

299 covers everything else, and we’re going to focus on this bit because it’s the most glaring example of racism in the Dewey Decimal system I can think of. You see where I’m going with this: religions Dewey associated with people of color ended up with way less space than the “real” faith. Not convinced? Fine. There’s a section in the 200s just for Black people.

The entire 299.6 subdivision is for “religions originating among Black Africans and people of Black African descent.” In fact, everything about “African religion of Haitians in Haiti” can be fit into 299.6097294, according to the DDS. Because at some point, someone — for some reason — decided that Haitian religions originating from Black people were not as important as “Germanic” religions originating from white ones. If that doesn’t make you mad, then you’re probably qualified to write a cataloging system in the late 1800s.

Yes that's right apparently Dewey's relegating of non-germanic christian books to the end of the 200's is the reason for the entire dewey decimal system being racist.

Let's check out the haiti example just because it's mentioned.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Let's start with this.

Religion

86.9% Christianity

10.6% No religion

2.2% Folk religions

0.3% Others[5]

As we can see, only 2.2% of Haitians follow folk religions.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Haitian vodou only existed for around 200 years before the time Dewey created his decimal system. As one can imagine, the amount of literature in existence about haitian vodou vs christianity is quite paltry by comparison.

Back to the article

The racism in the Dewey Decimal System makes the prejudices and relative values of its creator abundantly clear...A messed-up shelving system still makes a difference to them just like institutional racism everywhere still makes the world a worse place.

That's right, a messed up shelving system based on the practical amount of literature available for a given topic is just another form of institutional racism....

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88
What utter entitlement this article displays.

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 01:27 PM
link   

In clown world, everything is racist.

Is the term "clown world" racist yet? If not, I am sure it will be.

Then I will use "Bizarro World" or "Wonderland" until that is racist.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 5-9-2021 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I have always hated the Dewey Decimal system. It has always infuriated me.

So now I know why. It's inherent racism makes my blood boil I guess.

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Who cares?

Nobody on here reads. They just watch Bitchute.

I'd be surprised if any of ATS members nowadays even know what a library is.

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 01:42 PM
link   
These poor ignorant souls that think the very fabric of reality is racist. The world is going mad, almost to quick to keep up with. Heard a racist rock just got moved in Wisconsin... A rock!?! Had no idea a chunk of stone could be so racist and fill people's hearts with hate.....
abc7chicago-com.cdn.ampproject.org... /?amp_js_v=a6&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#aoh=16308670134056&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=htt ps%3A%2F%2Fabc7chicago.com%2Fracist-rock-university-of-wisconsin-chamberlin-removed-from-madison-campus%2F10939064%2F

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I think you need to be aware that the media is spreading the idea that everything is racist in order to make money from and space. It garners hits and clicks.

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: gunshooter

Don't even suggest space-time is racist. God forbid if Planck length is racist there is no hope.

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: gunshooter
These poor ignorant souls that think the very fabric of reality is racist. The world is going mad, almost to quick to keep up with. Heard a racist rock just got moved in Wisconsin... A rock!?! Had no idea a chunk of stone could be so racist and fill people's hearts with hate.....
abc7chicago-com.cdn.ampproject.org... /?amp_js_v=a6&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#aoh=16308670134056&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=htt ps%3A%2F%2Fabc7chicago.com%2Fracist-rock-university-of-wisconsin-chamberlin-removed-from-madison-campus%2F10939064%2F

People who live in glass houses should not throw racist rocks...or something like that.

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I hereby declare Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is racist because it won't allow you to measure position and momentum precisely at the same time.

If we delve deeper canonically conjugate variables are racist.

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zitterbewegung

Don't even suggest space-time is racist. God forbid if Planck length is racist there is no hope.

Planck length: It is also the reduced Compton wavelength of a particle

Why's it got to be the reduced Compton wavelength of a particle?? (Sorry, I just simply couldn't help myself on that one)

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Zitterbewegung

"Weapons of Math Destruction,"
money.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Yeah...seems like it could be a good cash grab.

1. pick random everyday thing that's not currently racist
2. make up stupid reason why it's racist
3. write long winded pretentious article about why ordinary everyday thing is racist and why you should feel bad for not realizing this using the words systemic, privilege and supremacy a lot
4. sign article with name like ChocolateRainbowKitty along with my preferred pronouns
5. send article to news publishers
6.Profit?
edit on 5/9/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

That's where they keep all those strange things made of paper, right??

I think they call 'em books, or something like that??

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Are you really that stupid or have I misread your post?

Any controversial article garners huge hits and clicks. Especially when shared.

All websites make revenue from selling and space.

The more clicks you have the more your space is worth.

So you make controversial articles to garner comments, hits and clicks.... And thus you increase as space revenue.

Oh my god. Did I really have to explain that?

Sorry if I misunderstood your post. Surely you understand how the world works??

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 02:02 PM
link   

The Germans have their own system; Rosenburger Verbundklassifikation. Notice how they slipped the 'ss' in there? Dewey was just being respectfully lapse. This is just another roseanne style taliban media takedown. Racism was weaponized enough before the fake news takeover and the hashtag orgs they promote began bleeding us dry.

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 02:03 PM
link   

a reply to: Zitterbewegung

"Weapons of Math Destruction,"
money.cnn.com...

I am going to use that. That is a good one.

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Me too. It's awesome.

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 02:05 PM
link   

It's real and we should be frightened. Should we preemptively attack any country with such weapons?

www.amazon.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 02:14 PM
link   

It's real and we should be frightened. Should we preemptively attack any country with such weapons?

www.amazon.com...

We woke in in the Crazy Variant Dimension where reality and logic are evil and despised and make believe is now considered Truth.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join