It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With the acronyms!! Jeez!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Just writing quickly to implore people to cool it a bit with the acronyms (yeah, I'm talking to you HawkEyi). Seriously though, I know I'm new and a lot of people might be familiar with some of these acronyms, but certainly not everyone (case in point). If you're going to make a thread, some of which are quite long, take a moment to just spell out the acronym or, if you're going to use it throughout the thread, do the old "National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)". Then use NASA for the rest of the thread. I would never have thought to post this but I'm simply surprised how often I find myself trying to discern what an acronym means, a detail which most likely yields a lot of context to the thread.

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TheMirrorSelf

IMTCOEWYTA.

2nd.

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

IMTCOEWYTA.

2nd.

Hahahaha! Nice.

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 09:53 PM
link   

CNSA (China National Space Administration) kinda ripped off their logo from Star Trek.

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 09:56 PM
link   

If you are going to converse online, you need to at least learn the language that is spoken online.

A lot of that is acronyms.

If you are going to chat about a certain technical subject, be prepared to at least know the language of the subject.

For instance radar, sonar, laser are all acronyms that have been accepted as words.

If you don't take the time to learn them, people will NGAF about your opinion on the subject.

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Oh goodie...I was just waiting for the chastisement reply. What took you so long?

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Is this about that Ontario thread like three threads back from this one?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

WEF...World Economic Forum

TDSB....Toronto District School Board

Search engines are your friend.

edit on 4/9/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 10:47 PM
link   

I've been here a long time.
Really long.

I think it may be a bit much to ask everyone to do as you suggested.
It might be nice idea, but we will probably never see everyone comply.

TBH, most of the acronyms I either know, can discern enough from the context, or the source linked, or by Googling/using Bing, DDG or Qwant.
I admit I have looked up a lot of acronyms over the years

Here's a freebie....DDG = duck duck go.

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 10:51 PM
link   
ATS

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 04:07 AM
link   
If you list some of the examples that bother you, people could explain them. This can be an educational thread.
I imagine they include
NWO
TPTB
TLDR

A pedant note for the benefit of the community at large; not all sets of initials are acronyms.
An acronym is a set of initials adding up to a pronounceable word. NATO yes, KGB (and the spelled-out examples above) no.

edit on 5-9-2021 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 04:19 AM
link   

SRA=Satanic Ritual Abuse.

I agree with the post. On one hand they talk about the standards but then start dishing out acronyms without writing it out in full the first time

This is academic writing 101.

But no write in CAPS and they want your head.

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Being Portuguese, I always thought people in the US use too much acronyms (and equivalents), so I agree with your post.

Also, some acronyms are used for more than one thing, and a Google search done by someone that is not in the US will give different results. But, also from what I have seen over the years I have been on ATS, most people here don't care about (and some do not even like) non-US members.

In the end, I suppose it's down to a simple decision:
- do you want to be understood, write in a way everyone understands you;
- do you just want to talk to a few people that have the general knowledge as you, write in a way only you understand.

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: Ahabstar
a reply to: ArMaP

As I'm looking at the Terms and Conditions T&C's, there use to be a rule for the use of Acronyms. There are many uses for example ATS.

ATS:
American Thoracic Society
Advanced Traction System
Above Top Secret
American Travel Services
Automatic Transmission System
Automatic Telemarketer System
Aeronautical Technical Services

When I first joined ATS years ago, this I swear was one of the rules of ats. I had a hard time figuring out back then what people were talking about and it was even harder for people not from the U.S..

I understand the abilities to use less words, but I agree with the reasoning for the OP. Just a simple courtesy of at least saying Above Top Secret then use of the acronym ATS.

I'm not trying to be a PITA P.I.T.A. Pain in the ass. But some acronyms have multiple uses.

TTFN Ta Ta For Now

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 08:09 AM
link   

sign that your a boomer and you maybe shouldn't be using the internet.

you have difficulty figuring our what acronyms mean.

seriously i'd rather deal with acronyms than the stupid a@@ abbreviation of words.
the two that get on my nerves lately are vacay, and nuggs.
just plain laziness not to use a whole word.

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

You so Cray Cray🙄👍🏼
Aight got to walk the doggo N @

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

If you are going to converse online, you need to at least learn the language that is spoken online.

A lot of that is acronyms.

If you are going to chat about a certain technical subject, be prepared to at least know the language of the subject.

For instance radar, sonar, laser are all acronyms that have been accepted as words.

If you don't take the time to learn them, people will NGAF about your opinion on the subject.

But, one of the first rules of writing is to be aware of your audience and not assume they automatically know as much as you. If you are writing to communicate with a broad audience, then you should explain in brief the terms you are using, including acronyms. You don't have to of course, but, if you don't you run the risk of failing to communicate the message you are trying to convey to very many people.

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
sign that your a boomer and you maybe shouldn't be using the internet.

Please explain the logical connection between the two halves of that sentence.
I think you may have perpetrated a non-sequitur.

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

The internet is international and it's standard English practice to write out the unabreviated version first so the audience are all on the same page.

A lot of different languages are spoken and different countries use different abbreviatons for the same topic in the same field. It happens between English and American English all the time and a number of aircraft and spacecraft have crashed due to misunderstandings in translating metric to system internationalé units.

It only takes a second and saves a lot of confusion. If people don't take the tme to state which specific version of that acronym they're using then no one is going to give a # about your opinion.

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: themessengernevermatters

you mean like this,

when the powers that be (tptb or ptb) ruin the world with the plandimic, then there are those that get more formal with it and write it like this, when the powers that be, later refered to as tptb or ptb ruin the world with the plandimic.

posted on Sep, 5 2021 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Abbreviations are the part of the LF (Lingua Franca) of the internet, it's just a natural progression of communication. Does the OP think the multitude of American euphemisms need to go away, too? Or the Brits' euphemisms? Or the non-English language foreigners, a lot of foreign language euphemisms don't translate so well from one language to another (hence the phrase, Lost in Translation) so should we just use all English ones, none at all, what?

Sorry man, you're going to have to either hit up a search engine, or just learn to ask the question at the time of confusion, "What does that stand for?"

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join