It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth on Alert for G2 Geomagnetic Storm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2021 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Just giving heads up..

The National Weather Service’s Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC) is warning that a G2 class Geomagnetic Storm could impact Earth on Thursday, perhaps impacting electrical grids and transformers, interfering with satellites, disrupting radio communications, and sending the Northern Lights much more south than usual. In their latest bulletin, the SWPC believes there’s a chance of G1 Geomagnetic Storm Conditions on Earth tomorrow, growing to a G2 Geomagnetic Storm event for Thursday.

weatherboy.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2021 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: wlee48868

Oh man...a G2? They're the worst...

posted on Sep, 1 2021 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Ok, so a minor solar fart that might futz with radios and satellites, and might produce some auroras a little further south, if at all.

Man, it's a slow solar weather stretch lately...< sigh > It's been a while since we've had an X-class flare that churned out enough material (in our general direction, HA! Monty Python reference) to get sky oglers hot & bothered...
edit on 9/1/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2021 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I wish I lived further north so I could see the northern lights just once.
Maybe someday...

posted on Sep, 1 2021 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Ewwwww, scary storm lol. The scale runs from 1-5, 2 is moderate, 5 is extreme. I don't see why this is news as it might push the aurora somewhat south but that's it.

Linky

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 1 2021 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Ok, so a minor solar fart that might futz with radios and satellites, and might produce some auroras a little further south, if at all.

Man, it's a slow solar weather stretch lately...< sigh > It's been a while since we've had an X-class flare that churned out enough material to get sky oglers hot & bothered...

Oh, a woman who likes her solar flares 'X' rated. Meeeeow.

posted on Sep, 1 2021 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinker9917
Maybe someday...

Pffft, I live in Michigan, around GR, and every time they say we're good to go for viewing them, it's either dumping, snowing, or just cloudy.

Don't get your hopes up, just sayin'

posted on Sep, 1 2021 @ 11:43 AM
link   

NOAA forecasters expect the CMEs to deliver a double blow separated by hours. The first CME could spark a minor G1-class geomagnetic storm late on Sept. 1st. The second CME could intensify the storm, boosting it to a moderately strong G2-class event on Sept. 2nd. Storms like these do no damage to power grids or satellites. They can, however, produce beautiful auroras at high latitudes. A light show is possible in Scandinavia, Iceland, Canada, and even some northern-tier US states.

From Spaceweather.

It says no damage. For those in the northern states of the USA and others living in the higher latitudes, enjoy the show.
edit on 9 1 2021 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2021 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheMirrorSelf

Man, it's a slow solar weather stretch lately...< sigh > It's been a while since we've had an X-class flare that churned out enough material to get sky oglers hot & bothered...

Indeed, and I even found an opportunity to edit in a Monty Python reference.

I'm a rebel, I tells ya. I disconnect my eyes from tech and look up, such a rare duck anymore, eh?

I'm mostly joking there, but it's pretty sad that more people than not, don't know WTF is above them most days anymore.

posted on Sep, 1 2021 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheMirrorSelf

I was chillin' not too long ago in Puerto Rico, walking along what is rated as the second most beautiful beach in the world. This is, of course, where they place the swankiest, most expensive hotels lining said beach. So the hotels set out lounge chairs for the guests to enjoy, very near the water and the God inspired sight that lays before them, and as I walked past observing those tourists that lay there (I lived there during that time, not a tourist), I noticed that not one, not one of them was doing anything other than looking at their phones. I thought, damn, you could have done that in Oklahoma.

PS: Kudos on the Monty Python inclusion...

edit on 1-9-2021 by TheMirrorSelf because: c

posted on Sep, 1 2021 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Back in the late 70’s, early 80’s we used to see auroras quite often while fishing on Georges (East of Cape Cod).
The farthest South I recall seeing them was maybe the 39 lat.
It’s been years, boy were they something to watch.
When we killed all the deck lights it would be black as black can be aside from the auroras and we’d go up on the wheelhouse to watch them.
Watching the Auroras while having Humpback Whales blowing all around the boat in the darkness while feeding was.....”there are no words”.
I love the ocean!!!!

a reply to: tinker9917

posted on Sep, 1 2021 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: PiratesCut
Back in the late 70’s, early 80’s we used to see auroras quite often while fishing on Georges (East of Cape Cod).
The farthest South I recall seeing them was maybe the 39 lat.
It’s been years, boy were they something to watch.
When we killed all the deck lights it would be black as black can be aside from the auroras and we’d go up on the wheelhouse to watch them.
Watching the Auroras while having Humpback Whales blowing all around the boat in the darkness while feeding was.....”there are no words”.
I love the ocean!!!!

a reply to: tinker9917

Wow...thanks for allowing me to share in that imagery this morning. That must have been life-altering.

posted on Sep, 1 2021 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Welp...I guess this is it.
The big one as they call it.

posted on Sep, 1 2021 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

What a coincidence. I just closed out my Viasat account yesterday.

Really!

edit on 1-9-2021 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2021 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Nice, im in Alaska and the skies are clear.....gonna be on the lookout for the northern lights the next couple nights.

posted on Sep, 1 2021 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Maybe someday...

Pffft, I live in Michigan, around GR, and every time they say we're good to go for viewing them, it's either dumping, snowing, or just cloudy.

Yup, same here for central NY. Solar eclipse, meteor showers, don't matter, always complete cloud cover when ever it happens.

posted on Sep, 1 2021 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I would laugh so hard at all the people on here who mocked it if this turned out to be a grid down event.......

posted on Sep, 1 2021 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Maybe someday...

As long as they do not trigger snowflakes in the air, I don't care.

We are having the granddaughter and great grand kids over for supper from the fire pit tomorrow night, I'll have to get the big Cast iron dutch oven out for the chicken with baby yellows and reds with carrots and cabbage, and the small dutch oven will have homemade peach cobbler in it, the granddaughter brought over a bunch of nice michigan peaches today.

We wouldn't want northern lights to ruin that now would we?

new topics

top topics

join