It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1831 cholera riots and the similarities to covid 19 today.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The quote below is a brief insight into the cholera riots that broke out across Europe in the 1830's.

I came across it purely by chance and was amazed at the similarities to what is starting to happen now.

I've included a couple of links to some articles but there will be plenty more out there as it's quite well documented.

I look forward to finding out what people think.

​"Public disorder was not a feature of the recurrent outbreaks of ‘fever’ before 1832, although individuals were frequently targeted. However, the pan-European spread of Asiatic Cholera between 1830-37, ignited ‘waves of social violence’ against the rich, government officials, hospital workers, and especially doctors. The nature of this violence during the 1832 pandemic was essentially a class struggle – the poor were popularly perceived to be the reservoir of disease, and somehow complicit in outbreaks. Doctors, for their part, expressed great frustration, particularly with the poorer classes, for failing to accept modern scientific approaches to cleanliness and medicine, and the new science-based values of the period.

Mistrust in the medical profession stemmed from an unfounded belief that doctors stood to ‘profit enormously’ from the fees paid to them for their services. In Sligo, a west of Ireland provincial town, public rumours speculated that doctors would be paid 10 guineas a day by the Board of Health for dealing with cases, and a further five pounds for every patient they killed. The horrific physical appearance of cholera victims, with their blue and shrivelled skin, readily gave rise to the myth that doctors were poisoning their patients, or drugging them asleep, so they could be buried alive, quickly vacating beds for new patients. The forcible removal of those with cholera symptoms, from their homes to hospitals, caused deep resentment and despair, despite its good intentions."

protomag.com...

www.environmentandsociety.org...

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 07:35 PM
link   
"In London, meanwhile, some newspaper pundits claimed that the government had fabricated the pandemic to distract attention from the need for parliamentary reform. The term “cholera humbug” caught on widely, and The New York Times published an anonymous letter accusing doctors of being paid 20 guineas per day to whip up “cholera phobia.” Others who did believe in the disease said that physicians were spreading it on purpose to collect a £10-a-week cholera fee from local governments."

a reply to: nonspecific

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I came across it purely by chance and was amazed at the similarities to what is starting to happen now.

Being from the UK you may not be aware that for many people there is no "family doctor". Individual doctors do not have the same professional capacity that they did back in the 1830s.

Many practices in Australia, for example, are owned by large companies and the doctors are just punters who turn up to work much in the same way as everybody else.

Mistrust in the medical profession stemmed from an unfounded belief that doctors stood to ‘profit enormously’

If you re-write that to;

Mistrust in the medical profession stemmed from the blatantly obvious fact that Big Pharma & Big Health Care stood to ‘profit enormously’......

Yeah, I can see that now.

edit on 30 8 2021 by myselfaswell because: there was a bloody speeling mistake and their maybe mare.

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 07:52 PM
link   
You don't need to rewrite it though.

We all know that things have changed bit the similarities are indeed there.

I'll be honest I don't know if the doctors were in fact profiting enormously or not.

a reply to: myselfaswell

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Yeah, that's cool and all, and it also was about something actually dangerous.
However, I can't think of any point in our history where every person on every continent was pretty much forced into taking experimental injections.

Sorry. This is like a totally big difference.

Not going to happen. Not going to happen to a lot of us. Rich, poor, smart, ignorant, super genius, super moronic - alike.

edit on 30-8-2021 by EmmanuelGoldstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I dispute your claim that almost every person on every continent was forced to take experimental injections.

That is provably false in multiple ways.

a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein

Yeah, that's cool and all, and it also was about something actually dangerous.
However, I can't think of any point in our history where every person on every continent was pretty much forced into taking experimental injections.

Sorry. This is like a totally big difference.

Not going to happen. Not going to happen to a lot of us. Rich, poor, smart, ignorant, super genius, super moronic - alike.

Read up on polio.

“At its annual meeting [1988], the World Health Assembly voted to launch a global polio eradication initiative. At the time, polio was endemic in 125 countries. The initiative called for the eradication of the disease by the year 2000.”

……

“In 2017, only 22 cases of wild poliovirus infection were reported, down from 37 reported cases in 2016. At the end of 2017, polio remained endemic in only three countries: Afghanistan, Nigeria, and Pakistan. Other countries, however, remained at risk for polio cases. These include Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Iraq, Kenya, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Liberia, Madagascar, Myanmar, Niger, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, and Ukraine.”

www.historyofvaccines.org...

posted on Aug, 31 2021 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I'm surprised that given that some of the similarities there's not been more on the cholera epidemics of 1831.

a reply to: 1947boomer

posted on Aug, 31 2021 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
I dispute your claim that almost every person on every continent was forced to take experimental injections.

perhaps 'blackmailed' is more accurate than 'forced' but they amount to the same thing for those with no options.

posted on Aug, 31 2021 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I dispute that as well anywhere aside a few tiny nations and the US.

And the US seems to have gone full loco lately so can you really include them right now?

a reply to: RoScoLaz5

posted on Aug, 31 2021 @ 04:17 AM
link   
If people are going to look for parallels, they should take stock of the fact that cholera was a real disease from which people really died in large numbers, all through the nineteeth century. These epidemics stemmed from the vast increase of urban population created by industriual development, combined with the failure to develop healthy environments. One famous case in England was the future Archbishop of Canterbury losing five daughters, I think it was, in the space of a few weeks.

If the protests of 1830 were misdirected panic, then that's a possible moral for today.

posted on Aug, 31 2021 @ 04:21 AM
link   
That's the reference I'm making.

People claiming that doctors are being paid to kill people or make the situation worse, claiming it's a cull of the poor by the elite, negativity toward social restrictions and a distrust of medical measures.

All this things happened then and are happening now.

a reply to: DISRAELI

posted on Aug, 31 2021 @ 07:32 AM
link   

That's the reference I'm making.

People claiming that doctors are being paid to kill people or make the situation worse, claiming it's a cull of the poor by the elite, negativity toward social restrictions and a distrust of medical measures.

All this things happened then and are happening now.

a reply to: DISRAELI

It's the profit push that earns the distrust and always will. Trust is earned through actions, not given out on demand.

Today, there's little excuse to keep the huge profit margins, after the overhead is taken care of. Supposedly, this is a pandemic, but it's being treated by companies as a blank check.
After those obviously unavoidable operational overhead costs are paid, these pharmaceutical & healthcare companies would be doing themselves a HUGE public trust favor by openly eschewing profits after breaking even. Otherwise, it just looks exactly like the money-grab it is, and nobody trusts the greedy.
edit on 8/31/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2021 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Interesting thread nonspecific.

posted on Aug, 31 2021 @ 08:21 AM
link   
That's exactly what astra zenica did with their vaccine.

And sputnik the Russian jab was developed by the Russian nationalised healthcare system.

Look who's making a profit out of a crisis.

a reply to: Nyiah

posted on Aug, 31 2021 @ 08:49 AM
link   
It could be but I imagine it will be avoided like the plauge as members will realise it makes a lot of the current nonsense seem silly when they realise it's just a small portion of the population repeating failed history.

It's a shame as it really could be interesting.

a reply to: andy06shake

posted on Aug, 31 2021 @ 09:00 AM
link   

That's exactly what astra zenica did with their vaccine.

And sputnik the Russian jab was developed by the Russian nationalised healthcare system.

Look who's making a profit out of a crisis.

What's the CEO count up to now, 9 new pharmaceutical CEO billionaires since the shots started rolling out?

It's pretty obvious that making money hand over fist reigns supreme, not actually tackling anything with any urgency. If it WAS that urgent, profit capabilities would be willingly suspended so it would be even easier and cheaper for the world to access. Those big bonuses came from somewhere. Your insurance deductible, your taxes, your pocket. Ever wonder how much less of a financial burden this would be if the medical industry did the RIGHT things when they scream pandemic, and settle for making the bills while helping, instead of raking it in?

Mind you, I keep heaping this on companies as a voluntary measure to do themselves, not by legal force or anything. That speaks volumes to me when a company, of any kind, milks a supposedly dire situation.

Edit: And I'm specifically thinking US-centric here, since we seem to think we're supposed to shovel shots out the door to other countries, but still profit from it somehow.
edit on 8/31/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2021 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Did you not read what I said?

It's the US firms making huge profits, not the Russians or the Europeans. I don't know about China but I'm guessing their Vax is state funded right?

It's the us capitalist system that's exploiting the pandemic.

Here in the UK We have nationalised healthcare it's not costing anyone anything more than usual.

posted on Aug, 31 2021 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Did you not read what I said?

It's the US firms making huge profits, not the Russians or the Europeans. I don't know about China but I'm guessing their Vax is state funded right?

It's the us capitalist system that's exploiting the pandemic.

Here in the UK We have nationalised healthcare it's not costing anyone anything more than usual.

Did YOU not read what I said?

Here, let me help:

Edit: And I'm specifically thinking US-centric here, since we seem to think we're supposed to shovel shots out the door to other countries, but still profit from it somehow.

I made that edit immediately after the post, since I figured you needed the clarification. You had 5 minutes to digest it before your own post.

posted on Aug, 31 2021 @ 09:33 AM
link   
No, I missed the addition.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join