It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Random Literary Fragments; Please Share Pics of Your Bookshelf Here~

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Hi friends

I always stop to examine the contents of bookshelves I see. I love getting to know people through their choices in reading material; can typically find hours of conversation topics on an average shelf.
I've seen others do this too; I know I'm not the only one.

I also noticed yesterday on a lovely art thread (geezlouise--very talented artist) comments regarding Augustus's bookshelf and thought I'd create a space for anyone who wants to post a snapshot of a random (or chosen for a reason) cross section of their reading choices.

I randomly picked a shelf and section to share; these aren't necessarily my favorite all time books, and in fact there are several in there I have never an likely will never read (Jimmy Buffet's book was given to me when I was in the hospital--never yet cracked that one, lol) but these represent a lot of what I love to read.
Which of these look interesting to you? What's on your shelves?

Have fun browsing! I'm looking forward to seeing what books line your shelves, ATS.

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 10:44 AM
link   
A photo of my "bookshelf" would be unimpressive as I've gone digital to a great extent. My reasons are twofold. First, being able to adjust the font size and have a backlight for nighttime reading is nice for my old eyes. Second, i travel a bit, so having a library that I can carry is nice.

Sometimes I miss paper and I do still have real books, but digital is working for me and that's where the largest part of my bookshelf is.

edit on 2021 8 29 by incoserv because: typo.

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

You're certainly getting the best of what convenience has to offer! (my bookshelf is so shabby, lol--but the words w/i not so much).

Maybe if you'd like you could post a screenshot?

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

I like to look through other people's bookshelves too ... when they have them.

We were at a Christmas gathering of my wife's family a few years ago, at her nephew's home. I was sitting in the living room and was bored so decided to look for something to read. Scoped the living room, not a book in sight. Started to wander around the house, nothing. Television in every damned room, not a book in sight in the whole damned house! They had two kids. Not one single book.

That is criminal. And sad. So very, very sad. Actually left me a little traumatized, I think, to realize that there are people who live without books.

Another benefit of digital; it's easy to always have something to read on hand.

edit on 2021 8 29 by incoserv because: typo

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I actually tried to upload a photo of my eReader but they upload page isn't working for me.

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 10:51 AM
link   

edit on 29-8-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Cooking spirits since 2007

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I too have gone digital. Mostly for the space convenience but also for easy lookup as a large amount of my library is “how to” genre versus fiction or non fiction. Although I have been downloading free classics over the years.

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I agree that a bookless house with kids is sad! Digital reading definitely has its merits, and I could be wrong here, but I really think that the tactile nature of paper or hard copies of books benefit our development.

I'd be hard pressed to find a room in my house without books I think. But I truly do see why so many people are transferring over to digital copies; books are cumbersome!

Hope you have a good day

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 10:58 AM
link   
OK, I'll play, but mine are messy.

These are the larger books. They are always leaning one way or the other because they've been pulled out and put back and are never in order. These shelves also occupy an entire wall in kiddo's bedroom.

These are my trade paperbacks. What you can't see are that there are three columns of books there, two behind the stack you can see.
edit on 29-8-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

I too have gone digital. Mostly for the space convenience but also for easy lookup as a large amount of my library is “how to” genre versus fiction or non fiction. Although I have been downloading free classics over the years.

I have tons of classics in digital. Well, digital doesn't weigh anything, so not literally tons.

Project Gutenberg is a bibliophile's wet dream! And there are many audio books on YouTube. One can download them to listen to off-line, though audio books tend to put me to sleep, unless I'm driving. My wife loves them.

edit on 2021 8 29 by incoserv because: typo.

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 11:04 AM
link   
And, yes, I read a lot of pulp, but there are some real gems mixed in with all that mind candy.

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Those look fabulous, as expected. I'll enjoy browsing.

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Mine are messy too

Some great books in there!!

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 11:08 AM
link   

My fear with digital is that it's inconstant. How would you know if someone were to silently alter what you possess? Or what if we suffer a Carrington type event? Or what if they decide that you should no longer possess that digital copy for "reasons"?

You don't hold the actual copy in your hand, so how do you prevent it from being taken from you?

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

They're all for show, I'm 100% illiterate.

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: zosimov

They're all for show, I'm 100% illiterate.

As we've always suspected from your comments.

edit on 29-8-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 11:15 AM
link   

One of the benefits is I can't tell if someone is insulting me.

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I spy the Lumley Vampyr books on Augustus's shelf. Those were interesting reads. I have most of them floating around somewhere myself.

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Those are the best of the genre, unlike my wife's s***** Twilight books which are hidden behind a Japanese etching above the Stephen King books.

They're also the most valuable ones I have as they're all first editions.

edit on 29-8-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Some more of my messy shelves

top topics

<<   2 >>

join