It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raising up the temple

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 05:06 PM
link   
“Jesus answered them; Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up. The Jews then said; It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will you raise it up in three days? But he spoke of the temple of his body” (John ch2 vv19-21)

Some short thoughts on a short passage.

The Jews were sensitive to the idea that the temple could be destroyed, and were prone to misunderstand what Jesus meant. I suspect that Jesus made this declaration several times in his visits to Jerusalem, which would have increased the impact.

In the synoptic gospels, Jesus predicts the future destruction of the temple, as a warning, and the Jews take it as a threat about his own intentions. That’s how they apply these words on the night of his arrest; “We heard him say; I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and in three days I will build another, not made with hands” (Mark ch14 v58). The contrast of “with/without hands” sounds genuine enough (it pre-empts the objection made by the critics in John), but they have added the first “I will”.

Stephen repeats the warning, and they accuse him of repeating the threat; “This man never ceases to speak words against this holy place and the law; for we have heard him say that Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place…” (Acts ch6 vv13-14).

Like many of the remarks in John’s gospel, the words quoted at the top of the page have a double meaning. The double meaning is well-known. But perhaps not everybody recognises the triple meaning.

“Destroy this temple”.
We also have this idiom in English, namely that what looks like a command actually means “IF you destroy this temple, then… “ Or “IF this temple is destroyed.”

“In three days I will raise it up.”
The obvious double meaning is that he refers to the death and resurrection of his physical human body, not a reconstruction of the physical building.

For the triple meaning, we need to get help from 1 Corinthians.

Firstly, the Christian community is called “the body of Christ”;
“Now you are the body of Christ, and individually members of it” (1 Corinthians ch12 v27).

Secondly, the Christian community is called “the temple of God”;
“Do you not know that you [plural] are God’s temple, and that God’s spirit dwells in you?” (1 Corinthians ch3 v16)

Putting these two references together, we may understand that “the temple of his body” is also a reference to the Christian community, which began to exist on the day when Jesus was raised from the dead and which makes a physical building redundant.

edit on 27-8-2021 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

This verse has been simmering of late in my heart
1 Timothy 3:14-15, “14 Although I hope to come to you soon, I am writing you these instructions so that, 15 if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.”

The church, not the bible, not Jesus Himself, nor the Spirit, the church, the community of believers is called the pillar and foundation of the truth
Guess I grew up thinking the bible, maybe God alone, The Spirit, thinking anything but myself. Thinking that I could be a passenger
Jesus showed His community what they have to do, what physical and spiritual course we are to undertake
No sitting back, waiting on God, awaiting a calling, waiting for something to fall from above, we are called to actively go out and love
Yes the physical building is redundant, I guess that means that the new church has to go out and be what the temple couldn’t be, love in people who need God’s love

The church with good instruction, Spirit lead carrying out Christ’s command is bigger, better and should be more effective than the temple ever could have been

I was speaking to a friend, just got back from a big mega church, lights, big band, worship music, looking like a night club, he called it a harlot church. At first I was a bit offended, now not so much

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman
Another good source.

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 08:19 PM
link   

You missed his other meaning. If a day to the Lord is as a 1000 years on the earth (2nd Peter 3-8). Then he is also saying he will rebuild a physical temple 3000 years in the future after that physical temple was destroyed. See Revelation 21. Though in Revelation 21 he is also saying that God himself will be the temple of New Jerusalem.

So a new temple along with a new Jerusalem.

edit on 27-8-2021 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2021 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ntech
But remember that the same promise is qualified in Mark by "not made with hands".

posted on Aug, 28 2021 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Well if God himself is the temple then technically he wasn't built by hands.

posted on Aug, 28 2021 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ntech
Yes, a good reason for preferring that solution, together with the Pauline solution.

posted on Sep, 11 2021 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Jesus was of course refering to himself as the temple that would arise after three days. After the first easter, now the holy sprit is within us and the church itself is now the temple. That is my current understanding. That is not to say New Jerusalem will come from the sky and will usher in the 1000 year reign. When it does, the faithful will receive glorified immortal bodies. Those who convert during the tribulation will have access to the fruit of life from the new jerusalem, extending there lives, but they will die after a few hundred years. After the 1000 years of peace, satan will be released again, and completely destroyed. At that time, the remaining converts will receive glorified bodies as well.

top topics

join