It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venus Fly Traps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 01:00 PM
link   
So while these aren't exactly pets it's the best forum I found. So I found out VFT's are actually from where I live, the only place in the world they are found in the wild. I had no idea. It inspired me to get some. Unfortunately it was near impossible to get any local to me, only 1 Walmart had any, this is what they looked like. Who thinks they can be brought back to life?

edit on 27-8-2021 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-8-2021 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Yes! Had a few as a teen.

Remove the dead leaves, change the earth (sandy) and measure PH level, should be more on the acidic side. No fertilizer. The insect screen is counter-productive

The less nutrients in the soil the more heads / traps you will get and oh don't trigger them for show because they can only do it so often.

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 01:35 PM
link   
They are savable I think.
Rainwater only!
They are very suceptible to die from chemicals/chlorine.
Dont feed them bugs unless they are not catching bugs themselves for a few weeks-overfeeding can kill them too.

I had a few monster sized VFTs years ago-grew them under a fluorescent lightbulb on 16 hours a day,fed the soil with organic compost tea once in a while-they loved it,each plant ended up with 2or 3 dozen "mouths" some of them big enough to catch a good sized wasp.

They like high ish humidity too-but dont spray them with a mister,or the mouths will shut without being fed,which is a waste of energy for the plant,and stresses it out.I had mine in smallish pots,and those pots sat in a trough lined with damp moss to help keep the humidity up.

Good luck,they are fun plants.

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Humidity here is 80%+ almost every day. The average humidity is in the 90s in the morning and in the 60s in the afternoon in August.

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

That's the screened in patio screen, more than enough insects find their way in though. I already changed pots and got some friends to join them. Full disclaimer, the pics I posted were taken 2 weeks ago when I got them home, this is their current condition. If you look at the first pic you can see on the right where when I repotted them a piece came off that had some root on it, so I planted it in the hopes of growing a new plant, it's actually got some sprouts forming new traps.

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I've got a few pitcher plants here in florida, they are carnivorous but more like a flyl paoer inside them to catch their meal. Sometimes has multiple victims.

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Mark08

I might get some of those too next year, there's just a lot of varieties so I need to make sure I get the right one.

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Mark08

You should post some pics of them

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Speaking of pics, all your pictures are gone and stopped working, the ones in the OP too....

I smell a conspiracy, this topic is being purged :-P

posted on Aug, 28 2021 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Odd, they work for me, I see them.

posted on Aug, 28 2021 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I get white Verboten-sign. White circle with a " - " inside but they worked before.

top topics

join