It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WR7701

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2021 @ 10:43 PM
link   
If anybody can stomach that, more power to em!

That pizza should be delivered with a legal waiver to sign!

originally posted by: oddscreenname
a reply to: WR7701
What's your opinion in an anchovy, pineapple, and jalapeno pizza?

posted on Aug, 26 2021 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Thanks Automate! I look forward to getting to know the members that have similar interests!

originally posted by: AutomateThis1v2
You might like to talk to Sergiam about off grid living. He's got a lot to say on the matter.

posted on Aug, 26 2021 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Thank you, glad to be here!

Sunriver is a hop away; very nice there. I like that it is a dark community, so you can see the stars well. My oldest daughter volunteered at the observatory in Sunriver!

As for going off grid...it's a lot of work, and a neverending process of learning, but also very satisfying too. At times, lol. I hope that I might be able to help others by sharing some victories and defeats in the effort to be self sufficient.

originally posted by: EndtheMadnessNow

Welcome aboard! Off-grid living may be the only escape from all the madness. I lived in Oregon for 18 years. Had a time share house at Sunriver and spent alot of time in the Outback and Alvord desert area.

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 01:01 PM
link   

A heads up...

You need to be participating in threads outside of intro's to get to where you can post your own topics.

Yes to pineapple on pizza. Some people don't want to admit it, but it's very good on pizza and mixing sweet and hot...

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 07:11 PM
link   

welcome to the mad house

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Thanks Blaine, noted!

Gonna take it slow, search topics of interest to put my 2 cents in, and try to not piss anyone off. I like to joke around, and there are some really funny people on here, but I'll try to keep it where appropriate.

originally posted by: Blaine91555

A heads up...

You need to be participating in threads outside of intro's to get to where you can post your own topics.

Yes to pineapple on pizza. Some people don't want to admit it, but it's very good on pizza and mixing sweet and hot...

posted on Aug, 28 2021 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Thank you CrazyBlueCat!

Been around since '09 checking threads, on advice from a friend. Seen more than a few go long(person from future answering questions?Q?). Always enjoyed anything found here science or tech related, and the insight from members, not to mention the dry sarcastic humor often on display. It is a madhouse, so I guess I'm home.

originally posted by: CrazyBlueCat

welcome to the mad house

posted on Aug, 28 2021 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Hi and welcome!

I'm guessing paying your off grid property taxes up to ten years in advance buys you a loophole or two in terms of land management disputes; sounding to be in the works?

Water rights, mineral rights, things meant to discourage self sufficiency.

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Thanks Love guy!
The price of property tax has gone up, but the tax on undeveloped land is still cheap($80/yr now) here. Though I have a well, the county did not adjust value of property(fine by me!). My greenhouses and 2 bldgs are under 400 sq ft each, and unpermitted structures do not increase the valuation either, so for now it's cheap.

As for water and mineral rights...the county I'm in has had a moratorium on commercial wells for over 10 yrs. I had to show the planning department how much water I would be using before getting them to sign off on creating a microfarm, which they did. Looking into mineral rights, I found that the cheapest way to get acreage to be on is to file a mining claim! Most claims cover 20 acres or more, but there are some details involved(after claim, no sign that you were there). For the super hardcore folks that want a place to be, it's an option. quote]originally posted by: loveguy
Hi and welcome!

I'm guessing paying your off grid property taxes up to ten years in advance buys you a loophole or two in terms of land management disputes; sounding to be in the works?

Water rights, mineral rights, things meant to discourage self sufficiency.

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Oh hai!

Definitely among good company here.

Some of us have worked pretty extensively on technology for self-sufficiency. It can be tricky to navigate, since most who pursue it tend to be averse to novel technology.

Regardless, its a fun topic. Ive created some pretty basic threads myself. The more advanced stuff probably wont be released here, but there are plenty of folks out there moving towards distributed networks and decentralization. All the perks of self-sufficiency, but none of the full-blown isolation of more typical approaches to offgrid living.

Welcome to the board!

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Hey there Serdgiam !

A member suggested I check out your threads, which I have been doing this morning. Nice work, and thank you for putting it out there! I hope over time to do the same; help folks with input that they can use.

originally posted by: Serdgiam
Oh hai!

Definitely among good company here.

Some of us have worked pretty extensively on technology for self-sufficiency. It can be tricky to navigate, since most who pursue it tend to be averse to novel technology.

Regardless, its a fun topic. Ive created some pretty basic threads myself. The more advanced stuff probably wont be released here, but there are plenty of folks out there moving towards distributed networks and decentralization. All the perks of self-sufficiency, but none of the full-blown isolation of more typical approaches to offgrid living.

Welcome to the board!

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Thanks for looking at 'em

The idea was to put the basic foundation out there, and then get to the stuff thats actually cool.

I still plan to do a 3d printer/CNC combo machine thread, which will be a bit more advanced than the others (which may be a problem..), but then will be switching to other formats. Im not sure text is particularly well suited to the task.

So much to do though, and my health doesnt always cooperate. Hope you are having a great weekend!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join