It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Scamming And Consequential Ruining Of The Video Game Collecting Hobby

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Ever wonder why someone would buy a video game for millions of dollars?

This Youtuber looked into it, and did an amazing piece of investigative journalism... Better in fact than most of the actual journalism I've seen done by MSM.

It turns out that there is a whole shady side to even something as innocuous as video game collecting. The biggest thing is that it's the same investor scamming problem that affected coin, sports card, and comic collecting as well. In fact, it's even the same players doing it. The same players that were caught and fined millions for what they did to other collections hobbyists, just changed directions and picked something new to scam people with.

The video is a bit less than an hour, but covers a ton of material.

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: gspat

Good post s&f,

They did the same thing with Disney movies too not to long ago. If you don't remember that one "black star Disney! Omfg"
edit on 25-8-2021 by BlackArrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 01:01 AM
link   

I grew up with 8 and 16 bit consoles. I've still got my old Sega, nes and 64. They've sat in boxes for years along with the games and I haven't hooked any of them up for at least 5+ years.

I've been playing around with emulators since pretty much the time they first existed. Last NES game I played was jackal the other night on my computer. I played through a zelda OOT n64 hack on my phone a month or so ago. Played through like 90% of Ninja gaiden, all of megaman 2 and Zelda 2 remix or something like that on my phone with an 8bitdo sn30 over the last bit.

I don't understand why people want to dick around with crt's, cartridges, storing all that # and just generally the hassle.

The games are the same whether you're playing on the original console out of a dusty old cartridge or running a rom through an emulator.

I don't give a crap if it's not exactly identical due to emulation this that or the other. In fact, honestly, sometimes, emulation makes that # better.

I just don't get the fascination with collecting all that old crap, it's all there for free to run on any modern device you could possibly own. The games themselves were all I cared about, the format they came on is not really the important thing.

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 01:09 AM
link   

I'm only 20 minutes in so far, but it seems that as long as no real regular people ever pay these ridiculous prices, then these bastards won't really end up making much money, right?

So as long as people don't get stupid and believe the hype, then this perfect little bubble should burst rather quickly. But of course, that theory relies entirely on people not being stupid, sooo..... yeah nevermind.

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I used to love Megaman, but for some reason that was one I never actually owned myself, just played it a lot at a friends. Hell, I can't even remember if that was on the original Nintendo or SuperNintendo. I think it was the original....

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I like Karl Jobst he’s actually a very talented speed runner and his videos are always well articulated. I watched this last night and was smh. Same buttholes are all in it together just to make a buck no cares about no one else.

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

I grew up with 8 and 16 bit consoles. I've still got my old Sega, nes and 64. They've sat in boxes for years along with the games and I haven't hooked any of them up for at least 5+ years.

I've been playing around with emulators since pretty much the time they first existed. Last NES game I played was jackal the other night on my computer. I played through a zelda OOT n64 hack on my phone a month or so ago. Played through like 90% of Ninja gaiden, all of megaman 2 and Zelda 2 remix or something like that on my phone with an 8bitdo sn30 over the last bit.

I don't understand why people want to dick around with crt's, cartridges, storing all that # and just generally the hassle.

The games are the same whether you're playing on the original console out of a dusty old cartridge or running a rom through an emulator.

I don't give a crap if it's not exactly identical due to emulation this that or the other. In fact, honestly, sometimes, emulation makes that # better.

I just don't get the fascination with collecting all that old crap, it's all there for free to run on any modern device you could possibly own. The games themselves were all I cared about, the format they came on is not really the important thing.

Yep, I found my old Intellivision about 6 months ago. Damn, we played that stuff all night long as kids. Yea I found an emulator that works great and had all the games and I stayed all night playing them. Hockey was probably my favorite but they mostly all were good for the era. I know Atari and Coleco had some games that were pure trash at $45 in the 79's and early 80's

posted on Aug, 27 2021 @ 06:39 AM
link   
A new article has just come out...

sethabramson.substack.com...

Interesting read.

new topics

top topics

join