It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite Seafood Dish?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 08:29 AM
link   
sadly I dont eat seafood anymore as its full of plastic

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: PiratesCut
Were you in Tarpon in the late 70’s? I was.
Remember the fish house on the other side of the river near the bridge where shrimp boats unloaded and gangs of women stood at those huge sorting tables heading shrimp for a dollar a bucket?
The best shrimp I ever ate I got from there, we’d do a 5lb. boil for three of us.....”SoGood”!
If you were there, you ever run into an old New England fisherman with a big ships wheel and two sparrow tattoos on his chest called Boats?
If you met him you’d remember.....😎

reply to: openminded2011

I remember, didnt run into the fisherman, but Tarpon had the best shrimp anywhere.

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Gawd, I could go on...

Linguine with White Clam Sauce

DROOOOOL! My absolute favorite. I think I even have my recipe on here from YEARS ago!

My son who is 8 would say shrimp scampi. He loves it!

Ahhh here is my recipe Mblahs Homemade Linguine and Clam Sauce

I think I will make this over the weekend now.
edit on 8/25/2021 by mblahnikluver because: Added my recipe

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

Thsoe are big ol suckers

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I lived in the Florida keys for about 10 years and I must say. Nothing I’ve experienced is better than diving in the water and grabbing a couple huge lobsters and throwing them on the grill with butter. From diving into the water to a plate full of lobster tails takes about 30 minutes. Stone crab claws were plentiful also. Netting your own shrimp , crabbing. I’m hungry now!

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Caught this at a local restaurant. Bacon wrapped anything is a recipe for success but the dipping sauce for this was so awesome.

COSTA AZUL SHRIMP

Marinated grilled prawns, stuffed with Jack cheese and bell pepper. As if that is not good enough, everything will be wrapped in bacon and served with a custom-made pepper mustard house sauce and pico de gallo.

Wish I had that sauce recipe.

ETA: Whatever happened to thresher shark? I used to buy and grill a lot of that but haven't seen it in years. A yummy white steak it was like.
edit on 8/25/2021 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I love them too. I tell everyone. Don’t be afraid. We are legion.

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Pan seared scallops are hard to beat.

A nice poached sea bass is as fine a meal as can be found.

A warm citrus glaze on tiger shrimp or blue marlin never leads me wrong.

Elbows up with a fistful of catfish in one hand, and Budweiser in the other has created plenty of good memories.

I think my favorite seafood is "yes, please".

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Whatever happened to thresher shark? I used to buy and grill a lot of that but haven't seen it in years. A yummy white steak it was like.

Anglers still target them, but they aren't as plentiful as they used to be. They are good eating.

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enduro
I lived in the Florida keys for about 10 years and I must say. Nothing I’ve experienced is better than diving in the water and grabbing a couple huge lobsters and throwing them on the grill with butter. From diving into the water to a plate full of lobster tails takes about 30 minutes. Stone crab claws were plentiful also. Netting your own shrimp , crabbing. I’m hungry now!

I saw a video where a guy takes his dog out with him on the boat over the flats. The dog would stand up on the bow and watch for lobsters on the bottom. When he saw one, he would leap into the water and dive down to pick them up, then bring them onto the boat.
That's a good dog!

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Me, earlier last month with my favorite seafood dish.

A whole Red Roman done Chinese-style.

Oh pity me, for now I can only yearn.

posted on Aug, 31 2021 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

It was a thing here, with Tark the Shark running the UNLV basketball team. We would grill it up with Lawry's Citrus Grill, which is no longer available, unfortunately. There's a meat shop not too far from me, I need to get over there and see what they have.

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Did a bit of cooking offshore, the boys loved this at the breakfast meal. We ate soooo much food!

sauté some freshly diced onions in butter and a little garlic salt.
steam a bunch of lobsters, shell and chop up leaving it a bit chunky.
Shred some cheddar (my fav) or your fav cheese.
Beat a bunch of eggs.
Combine in a large frying pan or on the flat top with to make make lobster scrambled or omelettes.

Will not disappoint.....

I have dozens of seafood recipes I came up with during my many years of offshore fishing.
I make killer NE style chowder btw......😎

Baked stuffed yellowtail flounder using lobster, scallops, and a light cheese sauce topped with crushed ritz crackers ain’t too bad either.
Now I’m hungry......thanks. 😁

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 06:09 AM
link   
👍👍👍 One day I will figure out how to give people stars.

Works well with bluefish too but add sliced onion and I prefer mayo...

reply to: Flyingclaydisk

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Part 1
Vineyarder huh?....Lobster Rolls 👍
I lived on island (Edgartown) as a boy but when I grew older I came to like Nantucket better, (we love Wauwinet) less commercial, still way pricey.
I’ll take a few minutes to tell you a story about selling lobster rolls off the boat in Nantucket.
It will take some back ground to tell it well so bear with me....
I was an offshore commercial fisherman for many, many years.
Years ago it was not all that an uncommon thing to see big fishing boats rafted up outside the palisade in Nantucket, especially during big winter Nor’easters or maybe they’re just in for a night of fun and fighting at the Chicken Box. Put a hundred drunk fishermen on island, well, the island knows we are there for sure....🤣
Hiding in Nantucket from a ripping gale was so much better than laying too, or even worse, jogging out heavy weather.
Banging your head into 25-30 footers for a day or three, not much fun. (Fun-fact: a true nor’easters wind never lasts less than 3 days!)
Anyway, back in 1978 maybe 79,80, not sure, I was working the engine and deck of a 98 foot double drum stern trawler named the Captain Mano. It was the dog days of August and I had signed on at the custom house in New Bedford as captain even though I didn’t skipper the boat. You had to be a US citizen to hold the papers so a few Portuguese boats would use me to do this when the skipper took a month or so off to vacation back home in the Azores.
I promise I’ll get to the point, “lobster rolls” patience....
The government had begun to put quotas on what we could catch. (this is important because it explains why we ended up spending a few days in Nantucket at trips end).
We were only allowed to take 8,500 pounds of Yellowtail Flounder for any “one trip”. No big deal....
On the other-hand we were allowed to take 20,000 pounds of Cod, Haddock or Pollock in any “one calendar week”, silly government boys.
So, we’d throw the lines on Saturday, the end of one “calendar“ week. The next seven days would be week #2 and making port for the following Monday morning auction would be week #3.....😎
Now we could land 60,000 rather than 20,000 pounds of each of those 3 ground-fish. Fisherman are not stupid people unlike, well, you get it I’m sure. 😁
The rest was pretty much catch what you can....
After steaming 8-12 hours or so, (tides decided steam times) and as the sun was rising, we set out the net just East, Sou’east of the Great Round Shoals fairway buoy located a bit North of Great Point Nantucket using a net called a Rock Hopper Otter Trawl, in an area well known for Summer Cod.
It was now going to be a non-stop, around the clock operation of handling the gear for we six men aboard.
I was up top, just aft of the wheelhouse squaring things away when the Sun came into full view as it perched on the waters surface for a moment. What a gorgeous morning!
The sea was like a pane of glass with a slight swell coming in (somewhere, far offshore it was blowing hard for such an Easterly swell here in August).
For no reason, while standing there looking East I just sang out the tune of “oh a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day, I’ve got this beautiful feeling, everything's going my way”.
Sounds corny, I know, but that’s the facts.
Here’s where it got weird, about ten minutes later I was back on deck getting ready to throw an eye splice into a new heaving line for the bag end when the skipper came running on deck yelling, fish, fish, fish, haul back!!!
Sure enough, we were on the Cod. The net was so full we had to haul the bag end over the side rail three times to dump it and empty the net enough so the bag could finally fit up the stern ramp under the net drum.
Net empty, we set it back and got to work. Over the next 48 hours or so the net kept coming back stuffed near to the wings, not sure how many tows we made. You don’t know what back pain or a tired body is until you’ve spent a full day bent over the checkers ripping and gutting Cod, WOW!
I said it got weird and it did. The Cod finally dried up and we steamed up to the Nor’east parts for Haddock while still clearing the deck that had been so full for a time the fish were literally spilling over the rail when she rolled to starboard on that light swell. It was crazy!
We finally got finished, had a feed and set the net out again and five of us turned in. It was not to be, not 15 minutes after my head hit the pillow unconscious the skipper is yelling, fish, fish again, haul back. 😳🤪
Now we were on the Haddock. Rinse, repeat, over and over. In four days we put over 85,000 pounds of fish in the hold.
Everywhere we went it was the same thing, FISH, it was nuts, absolutely nuts! We were zombies on automatic. Never before or since have I worked so hard, for so long!
Looking back, I don’t know how we did it, I really don’t.
I think it was was five days before any of us got any real sleep. We’d worked for Pollock and the 8,500 pounds of Yellowtail as well as Greysole Flounder when the skipper finally shut her down so we could recover.
It gets foggy here, the days blur but I know it was decided to steam to Corsair Canyon to tow for lobsters because the hold was rapidly nearing full and we were in danger of running out of ice but still had days to stay because of quotas. 30 tons of ice we’d gone through.
We now had an estimated 165,000 pounds on board, much more and she’d puke.
It wasn’t over.....damn.
We set out again along the canyons and not only were we getting 10-12 baskets of large losbsters for a 3 hour tow but 15 or more baskets of doormat sized Blackback flounder as well.
What made things worse was now the “huge barnacle” (some, 5 times the size of a hersey’s kiss chocolate) covered boulders down there were tearing the belly out of the net each tow so we had to set one net off one drum and while two guys dealt with banding the lobsters, sorting the flounder etc., two others spread the ripped up net for overhaul. Set one net then the other, rinse, repeat for the next 36 or so hours.
We were not only near out of ice but we were also running out of gear to repair the nets. Dozens of rolls of twine, a dozen new bellies, (our fingers and hands ached from handling the needle and pulling the net taught so we could sew new sections in correctly. We were running out of hardware to rebuild the sweeps as well.
Finally the skipper called it.
We gathered in the galley because the ongoing issue was we had too many days left before we could come back to offload what we had on board because of quota restrictions.
It was the cook who suggested hiding in Nantucket and the skipper immediately said, “let’s go”.
We took turns at wheel watch for the 10 hour steam to the island and we all got to finally get some true sleep. Oh yeah, FOOD TOO!!!!!
Nantucket, at last.....”Lobster Rolls”, soon, promise!
When a 100 foot dragger ties up at the end of the pier outside the protective palisade of the marina, it is truly an island spectacle!
Word goes out and it seems the whole island shows up. Hundreds of people swarm the docks, laughing, pointing, cameras taking pictures by the thousands, guys aggravated because the ladies are like, oh, check these guys out. 😂
The crowds wandered off after some hours and we all just crashed again, I mean crashed. Next morning I had the 6-9 am watch.

a reply to: Edumakated

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: stuff

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Part 2

Around 8 the cook tells me he’s running into town, he and the skipper have an idea but he won’t say what. A couple of hours later he’s back with 12 big boxes of rolls, hot dog, hamburger, hard rolls, anything he could buy, mayo, dill and paprika.
We had about 12,000 pounds of lobsters on board in 4 boxes, each holding about 3,000 pounds. Some lobsters as large as 15 or more pounds (they grow big in the cold, deep waters along the canyons, a one pound lobster is about six years old, do the math).
Around 11am we started steaming and shelling, chopping up those beautiful “bugs, cockroaches of the sea, etc. etc” and cookie did his magic.
I was the one to walk the dock just after noon, telling people we were serving overflowing lobster rolls, $5.00 each. The first 10 people got theirs free and the stampede quickly began. We emptied and served one of the four tanks of lobster, 3,000 lbs. Around 3:30 pm the authorities showed up.
It took longer for them to show than we expected and they explained they had no choice when the 3rd restaurant called to complain. Seems we put a serious dent in their business that day.
They were pretty cool though and told us they actually thought it was great because of all the excitement on the island and the experience vacationers were getting. (Island politics, happen today? not a chance!!)
We had maybe 50 rolls left and promised to buy no more, we couldn’t anyway, cookie cleaned the island storehouse out, bread gets delivered daily by the ferry.
Anyway, that’s my Lobster Roll telling.
Long story, quick *****y ending, just like holliweird...🙄

Cheers

BTW, we each made near $350.00.

a reply to: PiratesCut

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Flyingclaydisk.
Great OP!!
Ever get up near Cape Cod drop me a line.
I’ll see you well fed, promise!

posted on Sep, 19 2021 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Ready to be hungry????

I call this one the Mother of all Mary's
It is totally a meal. You would not believe how good King crab is in a Bloody Mary.
I really don't drink much, but I do like a Bloody Mary every once in a while.

posted on Sep, 19 2021 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: PiratesCut
Flyingclaydisk.
Great OP!!
Ever get up near Cape Cod drop me a line.
I’ll see you well fed, promise!

I don't get up that way very much anymore. You see, I'm married to a bunch of cattle out in the middle of nowhere-ville, America. In fact, I don't even remember the last time I got away for a few days. (probably 9-10 years or more).

I miss the seafood, but I dream of it often.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 02:02 AM
link   
A simple charred red snapper with pineapple salsa on the side is one of my favorite dishes. My preferred method is to grill it over charcoal, but it can also be pan-fried. I prefer it because I live in a landlocked province, but Costco has excellent fresh snapper that is far less expensive than salmon.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join