It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CCP - Yesterday's Saigon - Today's Afghanistan - and Tomorrow's Taiwan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 12:10 PM
link   
China is seizing the opportunity that the Biden withdrawal from Afghanistan is presenting.

Their propaganda machine is ramping up, and it looks like they have their eyes set on Taiwan and the US's credibility.

Global Times (CCP)

Empty Promises:

"Yesterday's Saigon, today's Afghanistan, and tomorrow's Taiwan?" read some online posts by internet users in the island of Taiwan, implying that the so-called alliance that Taiwan has forged with the US is nothing but an empty promise that will eventually "leave the Taiwan people hurting alone."

Forecast of things to come:

"The US' fleeing action is a warning to the Taiwan secessionists, or rather, a forecast," Li said. He noted that if the island of Taiwan continues on a path misled by secessionists to directly confront the Chinese mainland, the US will cast Taiwan aside just as it has done with Vietnam, and now Afghanistan.

Questioning the Biden Administration's Credibility:

The aftermath of its failure in Afghanistan will further weigh on the Biden administration, as it is still struggling to contain the COVID-19 epidemic, which will put the US government in an awkward position not only at home but also overseas, as the total defeat of the US has dealt a fatal blow to Biden's political career and the Democrats' credibility, Li Haidong, a professor at the Institute of International Relations of the China Foreign Affairs University, told the Global Times on Monday.

One media outlet in Taiwan also pointed out that the key issue is if a war breaks out across the Taiwan Straits, there will be doubts over whether the US will honor its commitments and intervene militarily, as the US' "blurry" policy on the island and its snap decision on the Afghanistan issue have left its commitment to Taiwan "full of question marks."

Here they claim the States will only provide weapons if SHTF:

Furthermore, the US has never promised to send troops if a military conflict occurs across the Taiwan Straits, and only said that it would sell weapons to Taiwan to increase its military strength, Chang noted.

Are they emboldened enough to try something in the near future, or is this just China taking the opportunity to question the US's trustworthiness as an ally?

I know there are many on these boards that are well versed in the situation between the US, China, Taiwan, is there anything to this?

Did the Biden Administration make such a colossal error withdrawing from Afghanistan the way they did that they've lost the fear of the enemy and the trust of the ally?

Do they have a point?
edit on 8/22/2021 by MykeNukem because: eta

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

The US does not appear to have any treaty obligation to defend Taiwan;
en.wikipedia.org...

he Taiwan Relations Act does not guarantee the U.S. will intervene militarily if the PRC attacks or invades Taiwan nor does it relinquish it, as its primary purpose is to ensure the US's Taiwan policy will not be changed unilaterally by the president and ensure any decision to defend Taiwan will be made with the consent of Congress. The act states that "the United States will make available to Taiwan such defense articles and defense services in such quantity as may be necessary to enable Taiwan to maintain a sufficient self-defense capabilities". However, the decision about the nature and quantity of defense services that America will provide to Taiwan is to be determined by the President and Congress. America's policy has been called "strategic ambiguity", and it is designed to dissuade Taiwan from a unilateral declaration of independence, and to dissuade the PRC from unilaterally unifying Taiwan with the PRC.[citation needed]

The act further stipulates that the United States will "consider any effort to determine the future of Taiwan by other than peaceful means, including by boycotts or embargoes, a threat to the peace and security of the Western Pacific area and of grave concern to the United States".

The act requires the United States to have a policy "to provide Taiwan with arms of a defensive character", and "to maintain the capacity of the United States to resist any resort to force or other forms of coercion that would jeopardize the security, or the social or economic system, of the people on Taiwan." Successive U.S. administrations have sold arms to Taiwan in compliance with the Taiwan Relations Act despite demands from the PRC that the U.S. follow the legally non-binding Three Joint Communiques and the U.S. government's proclaimed One-China policy (which differs from the PRC's interpretation of its one-China principle).

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Well, I'm pretty well versed on the area and the politics of the region, having lived in Asia for several years.

Two weeks ago I probably would have had some detailed comments about how I thought things will go down in the Taiwan situation and what the outcomes would be.

But today, after watching what is going on in Afghanistan, I sit here completely speechless.

I literally have no confidence in anything at the moment. I have no confidence in our government, our leadership, our military. Each day unfolds with some more astonishing developments than the day before it, and all of them shameful and idiotic beyond belief.

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 12:32 PM
link   

You: Do they have a point

Answer Yes, Yes they do.

Biden does not even know what is going on right now. I am not being mean or rude or political when I say this, I am saying this out of true concern that for the first time in my life I feel like the guy we call president is seriously compromised. He does not have the mental facilities to be a walmart greeter let alone POTUS.

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Well, I'm pretty well versed on the area and the politics of the region, having lived in Asia for several years.

Two weeks ago I probably would have had some detailed comments about how I thought things will go down in the Taiwan situation and what the outcomes would be.

But today, after watching what is going on in Afghanistan, I sit here completely speechless.

I literally have no confidence in anything at the moment. I have no confidence in our government, our leadership, our military. Each day unfolds with some more astonishing developments than the day before it, and all of them shameful and idiotic beyond belief.

Yea, I've read some of your breakdowns before.

It concerns me, if you're that concerned and confused.

I can't make sense of this whole withdrawal, unless it's all for another purpose.

Biden or not, I've never seen the States act with incompetence of this magnitude, it HAS to be on purpose for some reason.

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

The US does not appear to have any treaty obligation to defend Taiwan;
en.wikipedia.org...

he Taiwan Relations Act does not guarantee the U.S. will intervene militarily if the PRC attacks or invades Taiwan nor does it relinquish it, as its primary purpose is to ensure the US's Taiwan policy will not be changed unilaterally by the president and ensure any decision to defend Taiwan will be made with the consent of Congress. The act states that "the United States will make available to Taiwan such defense articles and defense services in such quantity as may be necessary to enable Taiwan to maintain a sufficient self-defense capabilities". However, the decision about the nature and quantity of defense services that America will provide to Taiwan is to be determined by the President and Congress. America's policy has been called "strategic ambiguity", and it is designed to dissuade Taiwan from a unilateral declaration of independence, and to dissuade the PRC from unilaterally unifying Taiwan with the PRC.[citation needed]

The act further stipulates that the United States will "consider any effort to determine the future of Taiwan by other than peaceful means, including by boycotts or embargoes, a threat to the peace and security of the Western Pacific area and of grave concern to the United States".

The act requires the United States to have a policy "to provide Taiwan with arms of a defensive character", and "to maintain the capacity of the United States to resist any resort to force or other forms of coercion that would jeopardize the security, or the social or economic system, of the people on Taiwan." Successive U.S. administrations have sold arms to Taiwan in compliance with the Taiwan Relations Act despite demands from the PRC that the U.S. follow the legally non-binding Three Joint Communiques and the U.S. government's proclaimed One-China policy (which differs from the PRC's interpretation of its one-China principle).

Correct, as far as I can tell.

China is using that fact as a propaganda weapon it would seem.

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc

You: Do they have a point

Answer Yes, Yes they do.

Biden does not even know what is going on right now. I am not being mean or rude or political when I say this, I am saying this out of true concern that for the first time in my life I feel like the guy we call president is seriously compromised. He does not have the mental facilities to be a walmart greeter let alone POTUS.

I don't consider it rude or political to point out that Biden is a disgrace. It's just the truth.

He is.

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 12:43 PM
link   

www.barrons.com...

"Afghanistan Has More Than $1 Trillion of Natural Resources and China Wants a Piece of It"

No confusion for me. China called in and said get out we want our money. That is why China quickly recognized the Taliban as the official government on Afghanistan. With possibly the world's largest deposit of lithium Afghanistan is the future of not only the Electric Vehicle market but the Electric everything market, the white house was called and told get out now.

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc

www.barrons.com...

"Afghanistan Has More Than $1 Trillion of Natural Resources and China Wants a Piece of It"

No confusion for me. China called in and said get out we want our money. That is why China quickly recognized the Taliban as the official government on Afghanistan. With possibly the world's largest deposit of lithium Afghanistan is the future of not only the Electric Vehicle market but the Electric everything market, the white house was called and told get out now.

I've heard the Lithium theory before. It sounds possible.

Do you think China will make a move on Taiwan in the near future?

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   

They will watch the afghanistan situation and make their determination based on what happens there.

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

It has a sickening France-1940 vibe, Fifth Column activity and all.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 01:05 PM
link   

China needs to act quickly, before their surrogate Biden is removed from office.

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Of note is that in all three situations, communist China was stirring the pot.

Doesn't look like Nixon's 1972 initiative brought the USA anything but deep trouble.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2

Of note is that in all three situations, communist China was stirring the pot.

Doesn't look like Nixon's 1972 initiative brought the USA anything but deep trouble.

Cheers

Yup, looks like that only helped them temporarily get a leg up on the USSR.

And has degraded their relationship since, especially with Biden at the helm.

He does have to go to China, or he'll be the only one since Carter that hasn't. That will be interesting to see.

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

China needs to act quickly, before their surrogate Biden is removed from office.

Looks like they are.

At least in a propaganda context, for now.
edit on 8/22/2021 by MykeNukem because: sp.

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 02:27 PM
link   
We, the USA, have become a paper tiger to much of the world in their view. Especially with Biden at the helm, supposedly.

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 03:10 PM
link   
There is no military movement here in Japan by US forces. Nothing is taking place. Now grab your pillow and go back to sleep.

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
There is no military movement here in Japan by US forces. Nothing is taking place. Now grab your pillow and go back to sleep.

What are they doing? You've noticed movements?

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 03:38 PM
link   
DBL
edit on 8/22/2021 by MykeNukem because: dbl

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

International policies..Democrats

Democratically blue ran cities

Democratic policies enforced on the southern border. Check, Check, Check....hummm I see a trend.... and it ain't pretty !

top topics

<<   2 >>

join