It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My How Times Have Changed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 07:42 AM
link   
In 1981, I was 18. My family had just moved to San Francisco. I remember being concerned about what I was seeing on the local nightly news. I remember watching the newscaster saying health authorities were puzzled that ten people had been admitted to the hospital over the previous month for what appeared to be “some kind of communicable cancer”. The next night, it was announced that those ten people were all men; health authorities asked anyone—male or female—with information that might be useful to step forward. The following week, the news announced that the ten men were all Gay, further baffling authorities who announced an investigation into whether or not they knew each other and any other possible connection.
Within a month, the health ‘authorities’ claimed that this new disease only affected Gay men. They confidently announced that it didn’t affect Lesbians or Straight men and women, so the general public need not worry! Further, as the investigation continued, the authorities claimed the disease could not be passed on by kissing, sweat or sneezing…in other words, could not be passed on by contact with body fluids. By now, you’ve probably figured out the disease was AIDS.

By the end of the year, half of the population were demanding that all Gay men be rounded up and put in quarantine, similar to efforts earlier in the century to curb TB and Typhoid. Progressives screamed bloody murder; Gay men by the hundreds gathered and protested that Fascism had reared its ugly head—-they were NOT ABOUT to let the “Nazis” put them in camps again. Their argument carried the day. The rest is history.
Fast forward forty years and what do we have? Quarantine camps in Australia; people in the U.S. signing petitions to round up the ‘UN axed’ and put them in [quarantine] camps; a massive demand by some that medical treatment be forced on others.

Forgive me for asking, but…if it was wrong then to round up citizens in the name of public health, why is it not wrong now? What’s changed?

edit on 21-8-2021 by Thoughtcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 07:56 AM
link   
To answer your question, it is still wrong!

The issue at hand is that the ruling class has something that has taken grip of the majorities psyche, giving them the unprecedented ability to make dramatic and wide sweeping changes.

edit on 21-8-2021 by Axios because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Comparing HIV and Covid is like comparing apples and oranges.

And those petitions you are talking about, even if some people signed them, are going nowhere. Those people are ignorant just like those during the 80s.

Petitions are not policy. No one is going to put anyone in camps. At least not in the USA.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Thoughtcrime

The pendulum is swinging too far in both directions.

Back in 1981 they would have probably still been calling it GRIDS, but today that would be insensitive and not exactly true being as gay men are not the only people who contract it. California has progressed so far as to make it legal to knowingly transmit hiv to another person without telling them but they are locking you down for the common cold. That is crazy.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite

You'll be the one saying "You deserve to be in a camp, it's all your fault." when they are put in camps.

Such a sycophant.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite

And those petitions you are talking about, even if some people signed them, are going nowhere. Those people are ignorant just like those during the 80s.

Petitions are not policy. No one is going to put anyone in camps. At least not in the USA.

the point seems to be the segregation and punishment of that subset, not the disease itself. Sometimes you have to think on your own to get the point. I can see how it could confuse you.

And yes, the signatures alone mean nothing. But the intent behind the signatures is alarming. It's a bit scary to know that we have adults in the US who are willing to put those the MSM deems 'wrong' into camps. Just the idea is a bad look. Again, this requires thought to have the conversation. Maybe you would do best just to read a bit.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thoughtcrime

Forgive me for asking, but…if it was wrong then to round up citizens in the name of public health, why is it not wrong now? What’s changed?

Technology changed. Smart phones. Laptops. Social media. 24 hour news cycles.

The tools to persuade are much more high tech. Everyone's opinions are now connecting and clashing at a faster rate.

It's like we got a $#1tty version of telepathy because what comes through is insincere.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Double post
edit on 21-8-2021 by CloneFarm1000 because: High tech low lives are listening...

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Don't let the Japanese or Native Americans tell you otherwise....'Murica would never put people in camps. Oh and the whole corporate town's without paying employees real money never happened either. That was also not a policy endorsed by the U.S. government either....a reply to: MiddleInsite

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Used to be sexual deviants and all the other sundry riffraff, blithering idiots, didn't get any publicity.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Back in 78 or 79, I read a newspaper article in the science section of the paper called, "Killer Cell". It was reporting on a bio-weapon developed by the US military that attacked the human immune system, allowing easily fought off infections to kill the host. A few years later we had AIDS.

I have been suspicious ever since then that most outbreaks and epidemics were the result of biological weapons research.

There are studies that have identified 4 HIV inserts in SARS-CoV-2 that helps it infect human cells and avoid immune detection while lowering the immune response. Apparently the corona virus is a really good choice for genetic manipulation and the latest in a long line of GOF studies to produce bio-weapons.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 09:53 AM
link   

You can’t be that obtuse, can you? It is an apples to apples comparison. Both are viruses. Both kill, at least according to the MSM (COVID? Not so much). Both were unknown when they burst onto the scene, requiring public health officials to scramble for answers on how best to address the situation.

I never said they were. The point is the discrepancy between the crowd that thought forced quarantines were good then and those who think so now.

Again, I never said petitions were policy. Stop setting up Straw-man arguments for you to knock down.

edit on 21-8-2021 by Thoughtcrime because: Clarity/punctuation

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

the point seems to be the segregation and punishment of that subset, not the disease itself. Sometimes you have to think on your own to get the point. I can see how it could confuse you.

And yes, the signatures alone mean nothing. But the intent behind the signatures is alarming. It's a bit scary to know that we have adults in the US who are willing to put those the MSM deems 'wrong' into camps. Just the idea is a bad look. Again, this requires thought to have the conversation. Maybe you would do best just to read a bit.

Thanks Network Dude! That’s exactly the point

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: CloneFarm1000

Interesting thought. Not trying to be argumentative here…So your position is that technology supersedes (or certainly influences) morality?

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

… not exactly true being as gay men are not the only people who contract it.

Yes, NOW. But back then, AIDS —or the fear that created such panic—was thought of as a ‘Gay Man’s Disease’. The thinking was that if infected gay men were quarantined, it would prevent the disease from spreading to other gay men or possibly even straight people.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 10:49 AM
link   
There is a bit of a difference here though.

You have to have sex with someone to get HIV (Or share blood etc)

Someone with Covid can just cough in a room and infect everyone who comes in there for the next few hours.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

Someone with Covid can just cough in a room and infect everyone who comes in there for the next few hours.

*Allegedly

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

Seriously, come on dude, you'd have to be living in a cave with only Fox news to not realise this is an actual disease that can really f people up.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

I'm not saying it's not a real disease. Yes, the virus is real. It can make people sick and it can kill people, but it does not effect everybody.

Especially not, "cough in a room and infect everyone who comes in there for the next few hours."

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

That's how it transmits though, the droplets in your cough land on a surface, and the virus stays alive long enough for bob from accounts to rest his hand on there while he is waiting for the kettle to boil, then a little later he scratches face or rubs his eye with that hand and he has it,. then he goes home and gives it to his family.

Whereas with HIV, You'd have to bend bob over the counter and have your way with him and even then, he would only potentially give it to his wife sometime later while having sex.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join