It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

plane down near AVP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Got some military planes in town for the Pocono Air Show. They're up at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton airport (AVP). Just heard on the radio one of them is down, near I-81. No other details yet.

I know we've got the Thunderbirds. Not sure what else is up there.

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Wow! Keep us informed, please.

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 12:31 PM
link   
According to Zaph it was one of the Geico Skytypers, an old WW2 era plane, just off the runway. No word on the pilot yet but that can't be good. The direction he took off there's woods right below him.

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Local news video. Didn't even make it off the airport property.
WNEP.com
edit on 20 8 21 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Unconfirmed report on local radio that the pilot perished.

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Life Flight pulled their bird out of the hangar and were told to stand down and wait. That's usually not a good sign. Media is starting to report he didn't make it.

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Confirmed that the pilot didn't make it.

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Damn that is sad..

a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Damn sad to hear. First air show we've had in a while up here too. Not a good way to bring it back in. Not that that matters at this point. Just sad for the pilot's family.
edit on 20 8 21 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The pilot was Andy Travnicek. He was an Air Force Academy graduate and former C-5 pilot.

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 09:30 AM
link   
If this was a formation take off, it may have been a vortices accident. The T-6 rolled to the left at low altitude and impacted the ground indicating a vortex incursion to me. If there was a slight cross wind the vortex from the airplane just ahead would have blown on to the following plane causing an uncontrollable left hand roll with not enough altitude to recover.

I hate to see these things happen and I pray for the pilot and his family. Unfortunately, when GOD calls you home there's not a lot you can do!

top topics

join