It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget Garlic! Try Rice to stop a Vampire

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Strange. I haven't noticed that this works on the IRS but YMMV.

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

The old myths about vampires had more ways to stop them than just a stake through the heart. The rice and matchsticks were not for them to pick up, but to force them to stop and count them! The idea was to keep them occupied till the sun came up and destroyed them. Hence the "count" being added to vampire names. Sesame Street got that one right! Also planting a rose bush on their grave was another method to deter them. Supposedly it would trap them in their coffins.
Another fun fact, other myths mentioned other ways to become a vampire, from either a Nun or black cat walking over a grave to the simple unconsecrated ground being the genesis. Dracula in the book was "the seventh son of the seventh son, whom the devil claimed as his own". Hollywood diluted the old myths when they started making movies.

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: bluemooone2

That's really cool.

Which books?

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I guess I ought to admit that I had heard this before. I went through a horror novel phase and one of the books I picked up was centered on Chinese vampires and this bit about the rice was brought up in it.
edit on 20-8-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Thoughtcrime

I vaguely remember that skit. What did Pryor ‘use’ to ward off the vampire? (Asking for a friend)

wino ain't afraid of nothing, except for running out of wine.
wino could even deal with dracula. wino be crackin on how smarton drac is, how ugly he is, his teeth all hangin out his mouth, his natural, dirt on his neck, even hoped he caught the sickle cell.

i would link it, but don't want the mods to delete post. you know how pryor could cuss.

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

Lot's and Lot's of Whisky, I mean it the vampire does NOT want a headache or he or she will not be able to sleep all day at all as after all hangovers always strike in the morning which is bedtime for them.

Also good to stop a Zombie horde, no seriously think about it you and your mates get so bladdered blind drunk pissed that when the slowest of you stumbles into the Zombie Horde he either walks and talks just like them so get's a free pass or they eat him and fall over paralytic drunk themselves allowing you to then just step over them - mind the vomit though.

Sorry I love being an imbecile (Sometimes).

And now you have me longing for either a good Chinese or Indian or NO definitely I love it a proper Japanese Omurice with beef curry (basically a ball of sweet Japanese sticky rice wrapped in an omelette in the shape of a Cornish pasty with beef curry (Japanese curry is not as hot as others and has it's own character which is quite pleasing to the taste buds) drizzled plentifully over it, only had it once in a restaurant when I was in Japan in the 90's but still longing for it today all these years later that is how much I enjoyed it.

Not like the one I had but it looks nice anyway.

Sounds like MY kind of plan for defeating zombies L9L!

Oh great…now I’M hungry for one of those Japanese curry rice omelette thingys!

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: hangedman13
a reply to: beyondknowledge

The old myths about vampires had more ways to stop them than just a stake through the heart. The rice and matchsticks were not for them to pick up, but to force them to stop and count them! The idea was to keep them occupied till the sun came up and destroyed them. Hence the "count" being added to vampire names. Sesame Street got that one right! Also planting a rose bush on their grave was another method to deter them. Supposedly it would trap them in their coffins.
Another fun fact, other myths mentioned other ways to become a vampire, from either a Nun or black cat walking over a grave to the simple unconsecrated ground being the genesis. Dracula in the book was "the seventh son of the seventh son, whom the devil claimed as his own". Hollywood diluted the old myths when they started making movies.

Fascinating! Thanks! I’ve never heard those other bits.

Wait—didn’t Dylan sing about the seventh son of the seventh son, “down on Highway Sixtay-WUNNN!”? I thought the seventh son was lucky?

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 02:07 PM
link   
“wino ain't afraid of nothing, except for running out of wine.
wino could even deal with dracula. wino be crackin on how smarton drac is, how ugly he is, his teeth all hangin out his mouth, his natural, dirt on his neck, even hoped he caught the sickle cell.”

i would link it, but don't want the mods to delete post. you know how pryor could cuss.

Yeah! I remember that one! Wow…

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Its from his Discworld series and they are all fantastic. www.terrypratchettbooks.com...

edit on 20-8-2021 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Chinese vampires hop. Didn't know till Hammer did a kung fu/dracula pic called the legend of thr 7 golden vampires. Watched another this week with communist actor jackie chan called fantasy mission force with cool vamparoos. Lots of interestling ways to control them if chinese b movies are any indication.

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: bluemooone2
Its from his Discworld series and they are all fantastic. www.terrypratchettbooks.com...

By coincidence, I'm reading that atm

Think another method is to hide one of their socks. They can't go out till they find it .....

(This is why there are less vampires about today: because washing machines "eat" their socks, leaving them without a matching pair and forcing them to stay at home!)

posted on Aug, 21 2021 @ 05:46 AM
link   

I know they have uncovered and came across certain graves in Europe(Romania) where the bodies have had large metal spikes placed through the hearts.

So there is probably something to the superstition.

Im not insinuating real vampires exist all the same, but people have been drinking other blood and also animals for millennia in an attempt to gain there power or extract a modicum of life force.

For a start what do you imagine the communion wafer and wine represent?

Blood and body.

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 09:33 AM
link   
awesome thank you i will p ut it on my list to buy.
which keeps growing faster than I can read. but thats okay. well maybe the library has it...

a reply to: bluemooone2

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I know they have uncovered and came across certain graves in Europe(Romania) where the bodies have had large metal spikes placed through the hearts.

So there is probably something to the superstition.

Im not insinuating real vampires exist all the same, but people have been drinking other blood and also animals for millennia in an attempt to gain there power or extract a modicum of life force.

For a start what do you imagine the communion wafer and wine represent?

Blood and body.

It was a superstition all around Europe at one time, we have actually found similar graves in western Europe and if I remember even at least one in the UK (Several in Ireland if I recall), heads separated from there body's and placed between there leg's, stones sometimes placed in there mouths after death with enough force to decapitate the upper skull from the jaw and neck, they feared the dead rising and taking revenge and during the black death many coffins that were dug up in places like London during the building of the city are recorded as having scratch marks on there inside lid, these were found during the Victorian period and while they were more rational and knew that it meant the poor unfortunate souls had been buried alive and woken to find themselves in a coffin scratching in terror as they gasped for air in the darkness it sparked a trade in peculiar and morbid grave gadgets such as breathing tubs and bell's connected to an apparatus within the coffin that if they woke they could ring to get out of it.

Still in the dark ages and early medieval period belief in vampires or the dead coming back to haunt the living was pretty common and this kind of vengeful attack upon the poor deceased body was not that uncommon.

It definitely lingered far longer in eastern Europe though and with real people such as Vlad Tepes (a distant ancestral relative of the Queen) whom was so evil and actually completely insane that he used to impale people on spikes and even had a feast complete with red wine which may have sparked the legend of him drinking blood when he had an entire rebelling province impaled around him over four thousand people men woman and children even baby's.

Add to that another equally insane relative of the royals called Elizabeth Bathory whom in an attempt to maintain her beauty would have virgin's lured to her mansion and there throats slit so that she could bath in there blood and probably drink it as well so even if there were no paranormal vampires there are definitely real living ones.

Not just those folks with dental work whom got too stuck on an addiction to playing Vampire the Masquerade but LAWYERS.

But yes you make a very good point, they would have attacked the Lord HIMSELF had they seen him rising from the tomb, so this action on there part was actually extremely anti Christian.

While in Christianity it is our belief that the sacrament are his body and blood once they are sanctified as his spirit rests upon them and makes them so and through they we become his body and blood the Church so while some have mistaken this for one thing or another it was never meant in that way though even when he first said it even the apostles and early Christians (followers of the way) found it hard to take.

Remember though God is a Spirit, Jesus Ascended back to his father so his body which was Spirit become flesh became spirit again and so if his spirit rests upon the sacrament and he said where ever two or more are gathered there am I also then the sacrament really does become his flesh and his blood and the literal re-enactment and continuation of his crucifixion for us, his spirit touches our spirit and he sanctifies us through it, it is why HE the lamb of God is offered before the Lord every time we take the sacrament, break the bread and drink wine in memory of him and what he has done for us.

He is with us at that last supper table, it is his hand's through the priest or pastor that are breaking that break once again, that are giving us from his cup that he gave to his apostles before taking our bitter cup and dying in our place.

So careful of the comparison but we do get what you mean.

edit on 23-8-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Cheers for the info LABTECH767.

Elizabeth Bathory seems like a lovely person!

Im reading up on her just now.

As to the comparison it was not meant to offend even if it is rather self-evident.

Considering the Catholic Church teaches us during the consecration that both the bread and wine(host) become the body and blood of Jesus Christ which is then consumed and symbolically intermingling with our own.

They do it to gain the favour and feel the power of God within them same as vampires allegedly drink blood to gain power and immortality.

posted on Aug, 24 2021 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Sorry to come across so scathing that was not my intent.

As for Bathory, I am not a fan of horror movies (my stomach turn's too easy and there is enough horror in the real world but hey science fiction well that's another cup of tea I can't get enough of it) but there are some based on that very insane woman.

It seems madness is very prevalent within the aristocratic family's of Europe, some may be undoubtedly down to inbreeding but in other instances it looks to have passed down lines skipping often many generations with no obvious immediate inbreeding even if there lines have remained related so in reality there gene pool became rather stagnant.

Like Vlad Tepes whom was a relative of Charlemagne whom of course she was also related to her high aristocratic status afforded her protection and the relative disdain with which the ruling family's of that period regarded the peasants the ordinary people as little more than cattle allowed her to get away with her depravity.

It was only when She and Tepes went too far that they were finally acted against, in Tepes case though he was at least at one time locked up (and being bat # crazy took to impaling rats and mice on stick's and twigs in his cell) by another high ranking noble while in her case it was probably because the people would have rebelled and that threatened the other nobles as well as her actions actually turning the stomach's of many of them despite there low regard for the common people.

They are actually very common in history, at one time every castle had a torture chamber, dungeon and often an oubliette (a forgetting basically a deep hole with water at the bottom into which the condemned would be thrown and left to die and rot).

Lovely bunch those old nobles and they are still around today but thankfully mostly with there fang's capped and there claws trimmed.

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I have heard of people scattering rice - in Thailand I think it's jasmine rice they put around their properties to stop anything "supernatural" crossing that boundary. I have no idea why, though.
And I am given to think that vampires being more prone to OCD is hilarious, but not likely to protect anyone.

Zombies don't like salty food, though. Fact.

<< 1   >>

join