It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's time we talked about Listerine & Covid-19

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I have an interesting history with Listerine-- the original kind... that brown nasty tasting mouthwash that will almost take your breath away when you gargle.

I first came to know that Listerine kills head lice when my preschool-teacher best friend shared that a parent beat a chronic case in her child's hair by saturating her hair with it, wrapping her hair in a towel for a while, then combing it out. You'd think it would dry the kid's scalp & hair out, but no... to the contrary, her curls were even more lustrous. This became to go-to treatment in my friend's class. She often treated infected kids at school (with parental permission) because she worked with at-risk families that sometimes didn't follow thru as they should. There are many articles that talk about this alternative treatment now. Here's just one:

How to treat head lice with old fashion Listerine

Fast forward to me having an itchy scalp and afraid I'd contracted the little buggers. I combed some thru my hair after a shower and my hair had never before felt so clean or looked so lively. Whatever the itchiness was, it was eradicated. Now I keep a misting bottle full of it in my bathroom for when I need to "perk up" my curls. It's part of my daily routine, lol.

So doing some research on the head lice thingy, I discovered that there is an ingredient in Listerine-- thymol-- which is a derivative of thyme. Turns out thymol is, according to epa.gov...

Thymol is a constituent of oil of thyme, a naturally occurring mixture of compounds in the plant Thymus vulgaris L., or thyme. Thymol is an active ingredient in pesticide products registered for use as animal repellents, fungicides/fungistats, medical disinfectants, tuberculocides, and virucides.

www3.epa.gov... actions/reregistration/fs_PC-080402_1-Sep-93.pdf

Somewhere along the line I read about it being an insecticide also. From experience I can tell you it will keep bugs off your plants without hurting the plant (just don't spray them while the sun is beating down on them.) You have to reapply after rain. Also, mosquito repellant! Also bedbugs (that one's not from experience, thankfully, but google it.) Spray a yellow jacket right out of the air without toxic fumes surrounding you and your kids/pets! The list goes on and on.

BUT WAIT... This is supposed to be about COVID. On a whim, I did a search, and I'll be darned... there is actual research out there that Listerine, under laboratory conditions, prevents covid from replicating in human cells.

Researchers at Rutgers School of Dental Medicine have found evidence that two types of mouthwash disrupt the COVID-19 virus under laboratory conditions, preventing it from replicating in a human cell.

The study, published in the journal Pathogens, found that Listerine and the prescription mouthwash Chlorhexidine disrupted the virus within seconds after being diluted to concentrations that would mimic actual use. Further studies are needed to test real-life efficacy in humans.
www.news-medic... al.net/news/20210317/Two-mouthwashes-disrupt-COVID-19-virus-under-laboratory-conditions.aspx

Also, thymol is used as an ingredient in disinfectants and hand sanitation in some hospital settings.

Both the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in the USA and the Government of Canada have placed on the list of disinfectants with evidence for use against COVID-19 preparations with thymol as the active ingredient. These products are designed to disinfect external hard surfaces and hands in healthcare, institutional, or residential applications [68,69].
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Wonder why the manufacturer says this about Listerine...

LISTERINE® Antiseptic is not intended to prevent or treat COVID-19 and should be used only as directed on the product label.

Could it be that the manufacturer (Johnson & Johnson) would rather you get endless booster shots and not even think about buying a really inexpensive generic version of their old timey mouthwash? (I live in fear they will take it off the shelf if this gets out. It's been a non-toxic friend of mine for so long now!)

So I just wanted to share all of this with you. Am I saying don't vaccinate, but bathe in Listerine instead? No! You do you. But like... the more you know, right? This is intended to be something you could supplement your other measures with. I mist myself a bit with it before I go out in public (grocery store, etc.) I'm sure I smell medicinal, but there are worse things to smell like, lol.

Please tell me your thoughts. Have you discovered the wonders of this nasty tasting brown liquid? (The cool mint leaves a sticky residue, so that's why I stick to the original formula.)

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: new_here

The original Listerine is the only one I use!

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Did you know listerine was originally a floor cleaning product, that could be why it kills germs so well

Listerine was invented originally as an antiseptic for surgical procedures and to clean floors.

and halitosis was used to market said floorcleaner/mouth wash

Gerald Lambert, the son of the owner of Lambert Pharmaceutical Company, who came across the term, “halitosis,” in an old medical journal. Halitosis is an old Latin word meaning, “bad breath.” But because of its scientific-sounding name, people started to pay attention. It was framed as a medical condition that required treatment, and of course, the prescription was Listerine mouthwash.

QI Series H, Episode 1 - Hodge Podge

The thing that starts with "H" and means you will always be the bridesmaid and never the bride is 'halitosis'. However, it does not actually exist. It was invented by Lambert Pharmacia, the makers of Listerine, so that they could sell mouthwash. Listerine, which is named after Joseph Lister, inventor of antiseptics, was originally sold as an antiseptic, but then without changing the formula the company began selling it as a substance for washing floors, a cure for gonorrhoea, and then as a mouthwash. As it was the first ever mouthwash, they decided to invent the idea of halitosis to shift Listerine, and it worked, expanding the size of their company greatly.

edit on 000000p3112America/Chicago819202148 by UpThenDown because: link

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:06 PM
link   

...I'm sure I smell medicinal, but there are worse things to smell like, lol....

Thanks. Will keep that one in my back pocket, for the next time my woman questions me :

" What ? Me ? Drinking ? No -no-no ! What you are detecting is a medicinal odor...
Have been taking medicine... Hic ! "

Am having a little shot of Artemisia ( wormwood ) tincture every day, that is 67% alcohol, and keep a bottle of Jägermeister in the fridge, that contains all kinds of weird compounds.

Nice to see you still around Old_Here...

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Thyme Essential oil also kills staphylococcus and strep infections in 20 minutes.
It also kills MRSA viruses, including their mutations. Whenever a particularly hefty bug is going around I always include Thyme as it kills a myriad of pathogens.
Just want to add it does have contraindications, the Essential Oil that is, before you all go rushing out to buy some.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: KTemplar

Covid is a lame reason to ingest a mouthwash. Even a good one. I'm not sure about the Poloxamer 407 - which is a block of polypropylene glycol flanked by two hydrophilic blocks of polyethylene glycol. It seems that polyethylene glycol is not toxic unlike ethylene glycol known from antifreeze which metabolizes just like methanol into formaldehyde and formic acid but I dont know a possible metabolic path so I'd be nervous about it.

edit on 19/8/2021 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:11 PM
link   
So are you supposed to drink it lol.

Good lord, that stuff was terrible but you knew that it was doing the dirty work lol.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ

I don’t ingest it; it is mouthwash

Did have an ex mil try to Poison me with some pie once. Nice try Napoleon!

edit on 19-8-2021 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: KTemplar

Then what's the point? Will you snort it to disinfect your nasal passages? 😀
Do you believe that gargling a mouthwash will protect you from this most likely non-existent virus? It would be like gargling Ivermectin and spitting it out. You need to get stuff into your blood stream if it's supposed to do anything.

Buy a Thyme essential oil instead. It's safe to eat. I've heard a herbalist talk about using it on the chest and the back of a child with pneumonia. Well, inhaling it does some good and a bit may even absorb through skin. I was ingesting essential oils before tho. It's better. They use to be less harsh than turpentine which I tried too btw. Many people have tried the turpentine protocol and used turpentine internally 1 tea spoon a day. The anecdotal evidence says that pretty much everything bellow 10ml is kinda safe. I use less of the oils tho. Couple of drops here and there. It's powerful and the liver may not be happy about it.
edit on 19/8/2021 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:35 PM
link   

A good mouthwash, burns the gob off you though.

Never heard of these alternative treatments but I did have an inkling it would probably disinfect the floor it's so nasty tasting.

I use the more up to date (original version) total care myself though the flavour is a lot milder than the Original Listerine (the good one still burns though the mild flavour ones I actually don't believe are as good).

Best thing for Bad Breath is change diets and stop rich food and eat raw parsley after every meal, just a small piece should be enough but chew it and chew it.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Lysterine can kill covid in the mouth. Well, not kill, but make it so it can't be problematic. But it does not reach areas in the nose and lungs, so it is just going to be an aid in prevention. The herbs Sage and parsley have ingredients that get absorbed in the digestive system and are antiviral against covid.

I like the taste of thyme in food but cannot eat much, it seems to negatively effect me in ways, so I do not use it very often. Listerine is a staple in our bathrooms, but again, I do have some problems with it but using it rarely for a rinse isn't a big problem. Never heard of using it for lice, maybe the old strong stuff was used for that. I remember that listerine from decades back, I might be able to use this new version now. I actually do not think I have used it for almost twenty years, I use hydrogen peroxide mixed with water to rinse my mouth out now, it works good. You give something up because of negative effects so you don't use it anymore. My wife does use it and has no problem with it. Then again she likes thyme and cloves which make my breathing harder, it is like i cannot take in the air I breathe..

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ

Covid is a lame reason to ingest a mouthwash.

You are the very first person to suggest ingesting Listerine. Please do not drink Listerine! It will harm the bacteria in your stomach that helps you digest food! It'll also likely make you sick for a while.

This is why people get in trouble on the Internet... silly, outrageous assumptions that anyone with an ounce of walking around sense would know better of.

Listerine has been identified as killing the Chinese virus in under 60 seconds since back last spring. There were actually some threads on here about it then, although they didn't mention it by name. But does anyone pay attention to that? Noooo... wait until someone else suggests it and then jump off the cliff of extremes.

Hint... water is good for you. Do not immerse yourself completely in water for extended periods... you will drown. That's a bad thing. Regardless of what someone on the Internet tells you.

The fact is that Listerine coats the mucous membranes in the mouth even after the gargling. That's how it kills germs. During that time it has coated the mucous membranes in the mouth, one is still breathing, and that means the fumes from the Listerine will enter the lungs. The fumes are not dangerous to the lungs, but they are quite deadly to the Chinese virus.

I use Listerine myself, have for years. I have my own teeth, but they're not as perfect as they once were... I have an unfortunate tendency to get infections and even abcesses, which tend to hurt very much badly. A daily gargle with Listerine stops them from forming... it kills the germs responsible. Maybe that's also why I haven't had any problem with the Chinese virus, despite never wearing a mask and doing nothing at all different.

Besides, what's the worst that can happen? A clean mouth and less oral infections?

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I inhaled Lysol three times a day for two days and my covid-19 symptoms left before the end of the third day.

LabCorp blood test showed that I have the antibodies and didn't have to worry about vaccines or boosters.

Hopefully everybody will contract and recover from covid-19 quicky and painlessly.

Avoid the years of shots and booster craziness.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I suggest that after one uses Listerine, they not stop breathing.

Do we need that on the warning label?

Caution! Do not stop breathing after using this product!

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Don't listen to Redneck! Not only should you guzzle Listerine but combined with a Tidepod chaser it will do wonders for your immune system.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Listerine, the burn is the only way to know it's working.

if it doesn't burn it doesn't work. just ask any toilet mouth scope users.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You're right... I guarantee if one does that they'll never catch the Chinese virus... or anything else for that matter.

Viruses don't tend to infect corpses.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

I suggest that after one uses Listerine, they not stop breathing.

Do we need that on the warning label?

Caution! Do not stop breathing after using this product!

TheRedneck

Yeah, but the trouble is that they will have to put it on all products, everyone is intolerant to something or other. Just look at what California says, everything causes cancer or is poison to some people. It is a certain type of Benzo chemistry that bothers me, it is in lots of stuff.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: UpThenDown

Fascinating! Interesting about treatment for gonorrhoea, and one of my quotes called thymol (ingredient) a tuberculocide.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 02:06 PM
link   

My point, Ricky, is that the fumes from Listerine will enter the lungs and sinuses simply by gargling. One need not immerse themselves in Listerine. Just breath normally after using it normally.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join