It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US War Planes Landing on US Highways

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   
For the first time in US history the US military is landing US war planes on US highways intended only for automobiles. This is part of the annual Operation Northern Strike which first began in 2011.

Operation Northern Strike

This year, however, the training exercise is landing A-10 Warthogs on US highways. A-10s provide ground troops with close air support.

Nothing nefarious IMO, however, in the military we definitely "train like we fight" so in some scenario.....drawn up by generals somewhere....someone has designed an exercise around the use of civilian highways as runways for close air support war planes in a region resembling that of Michigan. Interesting to say the least.

EDIT: Now I know where I need to buy land the day I come across a surplus A-10. I will already have a built-in runway.
edit on 19-8-2021 by Type1338 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Type1338

That's interesting because my country for example has convertible Autobahn. They become airplane runways in a matter of minutes if necessary. I guess US highways are broad enough by standard to support most fighter planes and don't need such dedicated strips on highways?

That exercise however is smart in the sense when bases would be occupied just like in Afghanistan, they can setup shop near a highway. Out in the open yes but they wouldn't have to land in the occupied or surrounded base.

Still need support infrastructure there or do you just fill these up and off they go?

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

They have portable landing aids, and will have all their equipment with them to load and fuel the aircraft. The C-146 that was involved brought in Special Forces troops that set up the landing aids, manned a mobile control tower, and set up the FARP they used.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This is actually a military purpose behind the interstate highway system. The roads in the early 20th century across America, especially the further west you went, were sometimes barely functional and it took forever to get anywhere.

Long story short, Eisenhower noted this in a military trip out west in 1919, and when he became president he implemented the Interstate Highway System plan. It was inspired by the Autobahn in Germany, and would facilitate not only troop and supply movement,, but makeshift landing strips when necessary. I know my uncle was one of the planners and moved on to other things. He started in intelligence and planning in the Pacific theater, WWII. IHS planning was just one of the things he ended up doing in his military career.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 12:16 PM
link   
In a number of countries in EU they have runways preplanned on their roads with all the markings and side clearance needed. You can drive along and you are on a runway...

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero
Yep, besides the small details and infrastructure visible, if you are on a European Autobahn/Highway and suddenly the vegetation is kept back tidy, there are no barriers between the lanes except for those that can be removed and dragged of completely with a truck and you see empty flag poles...

You're probably on a dedicated strip that is one of those Emergency runways.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 12:24 PM
link   

If I ever looked in my rear view mirror and saw
something like this,I think I would pee pee on
my driver's seat.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The question I have is between the potholes and Orange Barrels how do they manage to land anything large than a lawn chair?

An A10 is a short runway plane but not a true VTOL

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:09 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

If I ever looked in my rear view mirror and saw
something like this,I think I would pee pee on
my driver's seat.

I would race it

"challenge accepted".

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BabblingBlueBook

The Federal Highway Administration has an official myth-busting page. Here is their answer to two questions of whether interstates were built with defense purposes in mind:

President Eisenhower supported the Interstate System because he wanted a way of evacuating cities if the United States was attacked by an atomic bomb.

President Eisenhower’s support was based largely on civilian needs—support for economic development, improved highway safety, and congestion relief, as well as reduction of motor vehicle-related lawsuits. He understood the military value of the Interstate System, as well as its use in evacuations, but they were only part of the reason for his support.

Defense was the primary reason for the Interstate System.

The primary justifications for the Interstate System were civilian in nature. In the midst of the Cold War, the Department of Defense supported the Interstate System and Congress added the words “and Defense” to its official name in 1956 (“National System of Interstate and Defense Highways”). However, the program was so popular for its civilian benefits that the legislation would have passed even if defense had not been a factor.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

They can go a lot faster than we can,or at least
faster than I drive.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:21 PM
link   
That was up where my cabin used to be why they did it there ??? If you go out to the Dakotas and eastern Montana you'll see where the power lines come to the highway then go underneath. Lots of places like that.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

I guessed but then I raced a war plane

Makes for good fireplace stories "Have I told you about that day I raced a war plane?" and everyone is going to roll their eyes on me while I start the story anyways.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Because it's a short hop for about half the aircraft involved. They used A-10s from the Michigan Air National Guard, and Hurlburt Field from Florida. There were supposed to be some from Davis-Monthan in Arizona as well. If they ran into any problems it would be much easier to deal with it if they're close to home, especially since this is the first time they've done it in the US.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Oh, for sure. It was always a multipurpose undertaking. I do think the military planning side of it was a "deal-sealer", though. You don't want to be in a situation where you can't easily get from place to place when and if the need arises. And of course it allowed for the rise of nationwide commercial transport/trucking of goods.

I'm sure most people here already knew about why the IHS came to be, but I still find it interesting and wanted to put it out there for those who may not have known.

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 02:14 PM
link   

My brother in Utah told me about stretches of highway built with think enough concrete to use as runways.
I don't remember when he told me but it was many years ago so this isn't a new concept.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 11:48 PM
link   

I have always thought that golf courses would
make a good landing spot for helicopters and
paratroops.
The only real danger would be the flags
on the green. Some unlucky trooper
could get "one in the hole"

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Reminds me of an old joke;

A plane executes a scary landing. Pilot says, "Wow, short runway." Co-Pilot looks side to side and says, "Yeah, but wide!"

Russian aircraft are (or were) designed with the capability (landing and takeoff) in mind.
edit on 8/20/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 12:02 AM
link   
why are they doing this for the first time now? what prompted this i wonder?
edit on 20-8-2021 by namehere because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join